Anissina Peizerat Worlds 2001 | Golden Skate

Anissina Peizerat Worlds 2001

lillyfore

Rinkside
Do someone think that Anissina Peizerat should have won the world title in Vancouver against the italian? In france, lot of people said they should have won, but I think they are not objective :frown2: . But i personnaly don't like the italian so i wantede to know other opinions!
Tanks
lilly

As I recall, there was a lot of controversy about that at the time. As is usual in ice dance, charges of political deals behind closed doors flew back and forth. What role did ISU President Cinquanta play? He certainly was an outspoken cheerleader for his countrymen (and was visably upset when they were not held up in the 2002 season).

Personally, I like Fusar-Poli and Margolio. I like her attitude. She seems like a mean mama, LOL. :rock: I felt that Anassina and Pieserat used too many tricks, like the woman carrying the man, which detracted from the aesthetics of the program.

BTW, I saw A & P last year in COI. They did a "Star Wars" routine complete with light sabers. It was very entertaining and well received by the American audience.

Mathman :)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I certainly think the title should have gone to A&P.

Interesting that TT insists that Speedy had nothing to do holding up FP&M (and she is not exactly his biggest cheerleader).

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Politics aside, if we look at what happened on the ice, the general idea I remember at the time is that A&P's program was not very strong, especially comparing with the masterpiece that Carmina Burana the year before was. The music (Beethoven's Last Night) didn't work so well for them and the choreography had nothing new or special, it was somewhat disjointed, not to mention much of it was brought from older programs. They also struggled with it during the whole season and they even fell at the Europeans. In contrast, F-P&M presented a very strong program for them and in general, I just thought that they showed up that season with much higher levels of confidence that I hadn't seen before and it was noticeable in the performances. I haven't seen the programs in awhile but this is the impression I retained.

Of course programs aren't everything and the difference in skills from one team to another was huge, which is why I think there is quite some controversy over the results. Barbara Fusar-Poli was an excellent ice dancer, but the same can't be said of Maurizio Margaglio. Not that a much weaker partner has ever stopped teams from reaching the medals over the years...

BTW, even though there have been some teams over the years in which the woman lifts the man, this has become sort of a trademark for A&P, they always do it in their programs and always different lifts.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
BTW, even though there have been some times over the years in which the woman lifts the man, this has become sort of a trademark for A&P, they always do it in their programs and always different lifts.
I also like it when Faella & Scalli do that lift.

lillyfore

Rinkside
RIskatingfan said:
Of course programs aren't everything and the difference in skills from one team to another was huge, which is why I think there is quite some controversy over the results.
But in this case, FP-M have won the FP with right but thére should be a different placement in the CD, were the technique is the most important thing and not expression or "aggressivity" ( in the positive meaning):But, I think that there again FP-M were placed first. So, I don't know if the judges have really noted the performance or if they have only kept the results of the Europeans ( sorry for my English, I will improve Ihope!! :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
There were 35 dance teams at 2001 Worlds, so the CDs were divided into two separate groups (like the qual rounds for singles).

Fusar Poli/Margaglio and Anissina/Peizerat each won both dances in their respective groups. Bourne/Kraatz and Lobacheva/Averbukh split 2nd and 3rd in the Italians' group.

http://ww2.isu.org/figure/events/0001/worlds.html

mike79

On the Ice
FP&M shouldn't have been on the podium, let alone win. The only strong point of their skating was the speed that they were able to maintain. The rest of their skating was pretty sloppy, and would never have been as well received under CoP. I would say that A&P, even without one of their best programs, were robbed. The audience thought so as well.

vixen62025

Rinkside
I was there, and while I felt the Italians skated with more speed and "passion" the French couple's program was far more difficult in terms of hand holds, footwork, linking and transitions. The problem, as someone else pointed out, was that the French couple's program was not as cohesive (but, imho, more cohesive than the program which won them Gold in Salt Lake City). Personally, I felt sad for Bourne/Kraatz and Vanagas/Dobiazsko - both teams were on fire for the free dance and lifted the lid off the arena. But "politiks" being what they are - they were, of course, unable to move up to the podium with their great skates.