Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Olys: Will USA medal at all?

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Don't forget Matt Savoie. He aint done yet

My predictions:

LADIES:

The US will get two medals, but not the ones they wanted. Michelle will be second, Sasha will be third, and either Irina (the favorite) or Carolina (the favorite "Dark horse"/ Hometown girl) will win.

MEN:

Barring injury Johnny Weir will come second, not sure about first and third yet. If Johnny is injured, Evan will pull out another third.

PAIRS:

It's fairly simple, a medal isn't in the cards, and I see Inoue and Baldwin having the best chance at making it to top 10. Orscher and Lucash, if they make the team, will fall apart.

DANCE:

If Tanith gets her citizenship they will come second again. If she doesn't the US just won't get a medal in ice dance. The second place US ice dance team, will maybe scratch into top 10 with their best skates.

There you go. JMO. could have about as much merit to it as saying I'm going to medal at the 2006 Olympic.

Quote Originally Posted by CDMM1991
    There you go. JMO. could have about as much merit to it as saying I'm going to medal at the 2006 Olympic.
    But in reality, you're going for 2010, right?

Tripping on the Podium
    I fully expect the US to come away with at least 1 medal - 2 or 3 is very likely, though.

For the men, I believe that Weir and Lysacek should be right up there, and both could potentially medal if a few factors fall in place (Plushy's health, a possible Joubert meltdown, Lambiel's and Buttle's inconsistency). However, all these aren't likely to happen, I give the edge to Weir to medal (because of his CoP adaptability), even though I prefer Lysacek.

For the ladies, I won't count out Michelle Kwan. With TAT in her camp and the obvious drive to win that she showed after her 4th place Worlds finish, I definately expect her to be a serious contender for GOLD! Let her be the underdog . . . . .

Cohen might also medal, providing that she doesn't make too many mistakes and is able to hold off challenges from Irina, Carolina, the Japanese, and the third American lady.

The most likely ladies podium (in no order): Michelle, Irina, Sasha

Custom Title

Medals

Emily? Not a snow ball's chance in hell. She's very much behind the rest of the top 4-5 U.S. skaters. Michelle and Sasha both have a good chance to medal. All they need to do is stand up on the ice. Sasha may medal even if she doesn't stand up on the ice for the whole performance. But I believe this is Irina's to win or lose. For the men, Evan and Johnny.

It's still too early for predictions. I'm waiting to see if there is motivation for the Olys and not just a rehash of last season's programs. And at this point there is no excuse for not knowing what the CoP is all about.

Joe

Ice Angel
    I agree with Kyla2.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    The men's results at Worlds 2005 aren't a great indicator of who will medal at Torino. Plushenko withdrew due to injury, and not one of the medalwinners had a clean skate. Lambiel won gold with two quads but landed no 3A, 3Z or 3F. Buttle had no quad and fell on both 3A attempts. Lysacek had no quad, no solo 3A and no 3L. Weir was injured and didn't make the podium, edged out by Lysacek.

I think a healthy Weir can easily beat Lysacek, and has a good shot of beating Buttle, and a healthy Weir with a quad can challenge Lambiel.
    I actualy agree with you for once. A healthy Plushenko seems pretty safe to win unless something drastic happens with one of the other contenders; eg-Lambiel gets much more consistent, Weir masters a couple of quads, Buttle has some kind of transformation in jumping and speed. The skate of Lambiel from Worlds would not challenge Plushenko, and the skates of Buttle and Lysacek would not challenge for any medal, at a reasonably skated Olympics.

If Weir has a quad by next year he and Lambiel would be the two leading contenders for the silver, the gold is only open probably if Plushenko has problems coming back from his injury. Joubert, Buttle, and even Lindemann if he comes back to form, are the next best medal hopes. Lysacek could sneak in for a low medal, in the unlikely event it was a real crash and burn event, and Sandhu could sneak in if for a low medal, in the very unlikely event he has one of those once-in-a-lifetime competition.

I love your take on the Men, Slutskayafan - You've given every conceivable top male skater a chance to win a medal even if it's a low one. Three of them will prove you right.

Joe

What about Li? He does have a quad, not a maybe-he'll-get-one, and he almost always delivers clean programs.

MM

Custom Title
    i fully expect sasha to medal and perhaps win the whole thing... with michelle battlling for that top spot too. i think irina could get bronze.

plush should definitely win if he doesn't fall apart.

can't wait for the season to kick off in a few months! it will be a season of heartache and heartbreak for a few and a season of supreme triumph for some.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    What about Li? He does have a quad, not a maybe-he'll-get-one, and he almost always delivers clean programs.

MM
    Li does not deliver clean programs with much regularlity at all, maybe clean shorts, but not clean longs. At the Worlds he had the best long program I have seen from him in about 4 years, and it still wasnt enough to medal over Buttle with two falls, or out of nowhere medalist Lysacek. That is telling to say the least.

His chances of winning an elusive World or Olympic medal went down significantly with the new code, obviously something that was a challenging task to him to start with, being on the scene so many years without a medal at Worlds or Olympics under the old system; based on Worlds this year, and the circumstances coming together for him as about as well as could ever be hoped, and still not medaling, I would say they are even more diminished under the new system.

Banned
    To not totally discount anybody worthy of the slighest of slightest considerations though I guess Goebel or Li could medal if one of them lands 3 quads, and only 2 of the contenders land more than 6 triples; and I guess Dambier or Klimkin have an extremely tiny chance of the bronze if Plushenko or Joubert pull out with an injury, and they get some increased notice as the top skater from their country.

Custom Title
    I believe that both Sasha and Michelle will medal. Now what color they will get is very uncertain. As for the men I believe that one US man will medal. My heart says that it will be Jonny that does medal for the US. If B&A don't go then there will be no medals of any color for the US in dance and pairs. Although, you never know...stranger things have happened..lol

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman

MM
    I really like Li, and am wondering if there is any news of his plans for 2005/6 in terms of coaching, choreography, etc. - is there anything different he's got in the plan? I'd like to see him improve in the standings.

DG

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast