Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Olys: Will USA medal at all?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    Soogar, I hope your predictions don't come true. If Weir is healthy and in good shape, both mentally and physically, I think he has a very good chance.

As for the ladies, what experience does Emily have to go on? At Michelle or Sasha's worse skate, I don't see Emily beating either.

Dee
    Emily seems, from what little I've seen of her, to have an unshakable sense of confidence and nerves of steel, not to mention the fact that even with her sister's gold medal, she herself is so new to senior level compeition that there will be little pressure on her (assuming she even makes the team, which I certainly think is possible). Michelle, even if she goes in only as the sentimental favorite and not technically the best skater, will still have a lot of pressure on her. And we all know just how well Sasha handles pressure (that would be not well at all), so I certainly could see her beating either Michelle or Sasha, or both. I myself would not mind seeing her finish ahead of Sasha.

Custom Title
    I love Emily Hughes, but at this point she could give the skate of a lifetime and still come in behind a flawed Sasha and Michelle. Her jumps aren't really that great, she (as far as I know) has no 3/3. She has great speed and presence on ice but is still very sloppy. Plus, you have to consider that Emily would have to make the final 6 for the LP and Sasha, Irina and Michelle are great SP skaters along with Fumie, Carolina and Julia S. I really doubt she'd be able to get to the final 6.

My guess is that there will definitely be 1 medal for the US and it will most likely be in the ladies. I don't think both Michelle and Sasha will medal, but I haven't really decided which one has the better chance of medaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    If B&A get an ok to skate, and the rumor about them and the Ukrainians to be on the podium is true, then the Americans will definitely have a medal. I believe the rumor involves keeping the Bulgarians and French off the podium.
    Joe, I know these are just rumors, but do you have any insight as to exactly what it is the powers that be have against Bulgarians and Frenchmen? What would the sport of ice dancing gain by guarenteeing that Ukrainians and Americans medal instead?

Mathman

I think we're jumping the gun on Emily Hughes. I still think Jenny Kirk has the best chance at the third U.S. ladies spot. If it goes instead to the next generation, I think both Kimmie Meissner and Beatrisa Liang are ahead of Emily at this point.

MM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I think we're jumping the gun on Emily Hughes. I still think Jenny Kirk has the best chance at the third U.S. ladies spot. If it goes instead to the next generation, I think both Kimmie Meissner and Beatrisa Liang are ahead of Emily at this point.

MM
    I'd rather see Kimmie, BeBe or Emily go to the Olys ahead of Jenny Kirk. (Actually I'd rather see any of them go to the Oly's instead of Cohen, also, but that's a whole other post). She's blown enough chances and really hasn't done anything for US Figure Skating. No doubt she's a pretty skater but she doesn't have anything really unique, or anything particularly difficult that would give her the edge over the top skaters such as Irina, Fumie, Shizuka, Carolina, etc. And she repeatedly falls apart at the biggest competitions. Besides, if she goes to the Olys we'll have to see more fluff on her dead mother, and I don't mean to be insensitive but I'm sick of hearing about it.

Kimmie, sure she's got that 3A and maybe a 3-3, but they aren't really clean, nor do they have much flow out of them. Without the 3A and a 3-3, she's not that great YET. Not that I don't think she'll improve, she certainly has the ability to become the next great American skater, but I don't think she'll be ready this year I love BeBe, but she just seems consistantly undermarked. Even if she skates clean at Nats, will the judges put her on the podium and send her to Torino? Emily, maybe she's not quite as polished as BeBe or have the big jumps of Kimmie, but like I said before, she has focus, and drive, and nerves of steel. And a better overall skater than her sister, IMHO, and look what sissy did!

The skater I'd really really really love to see at the Olys is Katy Taylor. I know this probably won't be her year, she still needs a little more time to develop her style, but she's still a lovely skater and a sweet girl and hopefully she'll get her chance in 2010. Despite her not-quite-solid jumps, I prefer her over Kimmie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    Joe, while I certainly believe that Del&Sch have virtually no chance to medal, I wouldn't be so certain about Den&Sta. Especially now since they've changed coaches.
    Ptichka -The basis for the rumor going around the arena was to undermine the two D&Ss so that N&K could win the Olys without any real competition. Just about everyone within ear shot could not understand the Ukrainian bronze when the two D&Ss were so much better. I'm not an expert in this discipline so I am just reporting a rumor although I do prefer the two D&Ss. I suppose if B&A do not skate one of the D&Ss will be on the podium unless that Lithuanian team may get a pay back medal.

Ohhhhh, Dance is so unreal.

Joe

It's all about Plushenko.
    I think the chances of no medals at all are slim, especially for the ladies. If Michelle Kwan stands up, she will medal. If Sasha Cohen stands up, she might win. I also think that the chances of Sandhu making it are slim. He's awesome but so inconsistent! Lysacek has a definite advantage going in as a reigning medalist of making the top 5 or 6, but we'll have to see.

Joe, I do understand what you're saying. However, this year Den & Sta had an exceptionally bad FS. Also, by Worlds they got discouraged enough to deliver a rather flat performance (not that I believe they should have been marked behind GrushGons). While I agree they're unlikely to win, I think it's like TT says - if you're head and shoulders above the rest, they can't help but give you the marks. With Linichuk, Den & Sta have a shot at being head and shoulders above the rest.

Del & Scho are a different question. I think this season they were still largely hurt by the judges pre-judging them out of medal contention. Bad judging, perhaps, but not so much of judge collusion. With the exception of an excellent 2000 season, this team has been climbing the ratings every year. I fully expect this trend to continue into next season.

Skating Freak Barbie
    I would think the U.S. has decent chances to get both one (or more) of the men and one (again, or more) of the ladies into the top 5. I think the odds of a medal in either of those disciplines for the U.S is fairly good. Both? Maybe. But I really do not think the U.S. will leave the Olympics empty-handed in figure skating medals. Just doesn't strike me as likely.

Oh, and Emily Hughes a better chance to medal than either Kwan or Cohen?? MAYBEEEE.....but....

They girl is just out of juniors for crying out loud!
    Last edited by Kasey; 07-22-2005 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Read a few more responses!

Ptichka - I can't agree that Den&Sta had a bad dance. I believe the routine was misunderstood. It was much more difficult than Tosca was, and watching it in Moscow, even I was surprised how good they skated.

N&T are a typical 'russian' team. Everything is in place, and nicely skated a la russe. Den&Sta, despite their backgrounds, are not typically Russian. They are, imo, an original couple dancing on the ice. That is their forte - originality - and they happen to be very good technicians. Hopefully, they are looked at better in the Olys.

The Americans, imo, were trying to be Russian and they lost me. They have good technique but with those wild gyrations (audience appeal) which are not difficult, I prefer looking at the Kerrs.

Del&Sho, I believe you are correct. They will be next season's top team. they have that French je ne sais quoi sinuous body movements. Very entertaining for me to watch.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 07-22-2005 at 04:12 PM.

Custom Title
    Sorry- just can't get on the Emily bandwagon. I see her as a skater with potential- maybe with a little age, maturity, body-imaging (nicest way I can think to put it) and grooming she'll be a podium contender. I like Bebe best of the young-un's.

I tend to agree with dancindiva03 that Jenny may have worn out her welcome. Everyone has been pulling for her for so long- but she never really seems to rise to the challenge.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    I agree about Jenny, sadly.

I thought she showed her best stuff at SA '03, where she skated two marvelous programs. Unfortunately, she never seemed to build on that, as I had hoped she would.
    Don't get me wrong, NOTHING would make me happier than to see her come out on fire this season ... I just don't see that as likely though.

On the Ice
    Until we have seen some of the top contender's programs, I think it will be difficult to guess who will even make the team, let alone the podium. The wily veterans (Kwan, Cohen, Weir, Weiss, Goebel) will have as much pressure as the hungry youngsters (Meissner, Hughes, Liang, Taylor, Lysacek, Smith, Rogers, Brauninger) to even make the team. If the youngsters get great results in their GPS, or JGPS, it should give them some confidence going into nationals.

My best guess puts at least one man and one lady on the podium in those disciplines. I don't think Tanith is going to get her citizenship in time, so the U.S. will be lucky to get a top ten finish in dance. In pairs, Inoue and Baldwin (if Rena's citizenship goes through as planned) may also squeak into the top ten.

Custom Title
    I expect either Michelle and/or Sasha on the podium somewhere. I also believe Lysceck and Weir have a shot as well.

Custom Title
    I would definetely expect Sasha to medal. From men either Weir or Lysacek.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast