Thread: Lysacek and COI

Hybrid View

Lysacek and COI

There is an interesting mention of Evan Lysacek in International Figure Skating magazine this month. After his remarkable and unexpected bronze medal at Worlds, he was invited to do one show (in Chicago) with COI. He hoped and expected that he would be invited to join the tour, but they told him, they "had enough skaters already." (Frank Caroll said he was actually glad, because this would give Evan a chance to rest and to start on his new programs in the summer.)

COI still has oldies but goodies Viktor Petrenko, Rudi Galindo and Elvis Stojko in the show. Do you think it's time for a new broom?

Mathman

PS. Jeff Buttle was invited to do the full Canadian SOI tour, after his silver medal finish at Dortmund.

Custom Title
    Collins probably already had contracts with a lot of the other skaters; the ones like Petrenko, Stojko, and Galindo are probably long term agreements. He can add new skaters as the older ones retire, or their contracts expire and are not renewed (such as with Bobek and Candeloro) I think Evan will probably be on the show next year, unless he really tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    COI still has oldies but goodies Viktor Petrenko, Rudi Galindo and Elvis Stojko in the show. Do you think it's time for a new broom?

Mathman

PS. Jeff Buttle was invited to do the full Canadian SOI tour, after his silver medal finish at Dortmund.
    It seems we think skaters of a certain age "should go pro" and when they do and reach another certain age they "should go coach". :sheesh:

PS. I think you mean silver medal finish at Moscow.

Joe

It was pathetic that Evan was not asked to join COI after he won the bronze medal. He would have been perfect for them because of his entertaining style. I guess if he wore a nun costume or something else ridiculous Tom Collins might be interested. And why was Lambiel only invited to a few shows? COI and SOI are boring and they will not get any more of my money as long as they have the same old people based only on their resume and not on their present abilities. I wish Averbukh’s show had toured in the US this season because I would have gone to see that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brad640
    ... . And why was Lambiel only invited to a few shows? ... .
    As I understand it, Lambiel had other commitments. For example, he wasn't with COI in Anaheim because he was skating with "Ice Chips" in Boston on the same date.

Custom Title

Boring?

I didn't find SOI boring at all... 'cept perhaps for some of the pretty vanilla music selections. I prefer to see the skaters who have retired from eligible competition at these exhibition type events, and I'm also pleased that Evan isn't going to be there because I think that eligible skaters who concentrate on their eligible skating reach higher levels of athletic performance. That's just my opinion - don't have statistics to back it up.

So, at SOI, you though that S&P and B&S were boring? I thought they were marvelous.

Linny

Custom Title
    We don't get COI in my hometown anymore so I haven't seen it in a few seasons. I might agree that SOI was somewhat boring--- but I also agree with Linny that S&P and B&S were marvelous. They seem to have a "one-up" relationship going on between them that keeps pushing both teams. My biggest overall SOI complaint would be poor music (lots of tepid "rock" selections) and hokey gimmicks (what was that tacky carnival theme all about??). And although I know Kurt's lame toolbox number has been thoroughly lampooned on this board- it warrants another mention in the "hokey gimmick" category.