Lysacek and COI | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lysacek and COI

heyang

Record Breaker
I love watching SOI more than COI. It's usually easier for me to get a good seat for SOI in Trenton than it is for me to get a good seat for COI. If I can't get a good seat, then I'd rather stay home.

Part of the problem with pro show as broadcast on TV is the bad filming. I get so frustrated when they break away from the skating to show me Patti LaBelle or whoever singing or the dancers on the platform. It's an Ice Skating show - Show me the Skating!!. The only show where I could somewhat see breaking away from skating was the Andrea Bocelli Tribute since I'm sure many people went to hear him sing rather than see the skating.

As much as I love their skating, I really wish the experienced pro's would give up the gimmicks (i.e Gabe's toy chest by Kurt, Candleloro's George of the Jungle, Boitano's Film Noir, some of Plushy's gimmicks - more because I know he can really skate more, Dan Hollander's South Park & Sister Act) Show me the Skating!! I want to see beautiful routines, not mugging to the audience and jumping in between. I think that's why COI is not high on my list of priorities since the pro's tend to do the same routine every year. It's fine the 1st time, but I can't pay to watch it year after year after year - the hula hoops and stunt skating don't impress me anymore and the coy winks and thumbs up from Elvis and Viktor annoy me now.

Whoever manages the Collins tour (don't remember which Collins) needs to realize that attendance is down because the show is getting stale. I think the amateurs keep the ticket sales going, but the winter tour cast needs to be freshened to keep the show going.

As for SOI, I enjoy the quality of the skaters and the choreography of the show. I think it's more fun for the skaters to work together on a routine, too.

icenine

Rinkside
Too bad about Evan. He would have been a fresh addition.
I think SOI has it hands down over COI, although I have to agree much of the SOI music choices were pretty egregious this season. When "Mr. Blue Sky" cued up and started playing, I literally cringed. Wouldn't "I need a Man" by Annie Lennox have been great instead? Loved that I&Z used Maroon Five. It clashed radically with the older and staler music choices, though.
Agree that COI has become somewhat gimmic-laden over the years. If any of you have forgotten, let me refresh your memories with four words: Victor Petrenko, Dog Proctologist.

For me, Dan Hollander's comedy routines are hit and miss. I have enjoyed some, disliked others. They are getting a bit stale.

I'm another one who could watch Rudy do YMCA over and over again!

It's my opinion that COI has incorporated Irina and her hula hoops, Besiden/Polichuk's(sorry if I misspelled) acrobatics and the other comedy routines, into the show to please the youngsters in the audience.

I thought this past seasons "country hoedown" cast ensemble finale was pretty good.

My biggest gripe for last year is that I finally had first row seats to this show and the skaters totally cut our corner of the arena TWICE as they skated after the show slapping the audiences hands. What I like about the show is you're never quite sure who, besides the regular cast, has been added. I always like getting to see someone "new" live for the first time.

Evan's on his way up! Here is an article just posted on the USFS web site about Evan being invited to the red carpet treatment by Disney, at the opening of their latest movie "Sky High."

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=30344&type=news

We thought the next Disney skater was going to be Kimmie Meissner, but it looks like it's Evan on the inside track to become the next Michelle Kwan. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

Mathman :)

Last edited:
Nice article on Evan at the Disney opening. Did he go solo? or did he bring Angelina Jolie as a date to walk the red carpet? :cool:

Joe