A possible Lang and Tchernichev comeback? | Golden Skate

A possible Lang and Tchernichev comeback?

Arianne

On the Ice
L/T are thinking about coming back according to the news at the blades on ice website. This would be so cool because I think they would do great under the new system and would definately lock in a spot at the Olympics! What do you think? Is there anymore news on this subject?

Arianne

Well, they won't have a citizenship problem. They will have to work very hard to gain back what they have lost, and then produce some good original and free dances.

If it happens, I hope Peter will not put too much Russian schtik into their routines. Russians do their own thing best and Peter is American and should think Astaire or Kelly.

Joe

Here's the article. Scroll down tom the third story.

http://www.bladesonice.com/mag/blaweb1.htm

I don't think there is anything to it. Although this is a "July 1 news update," usually these interviews are quite a bit older than their publication date. Neither Naomi nor Peter is listed (or even searchable) on the USFS web site. It just seems like some vague "maybe" comments by Peter.

OT -- The article also mentions that Naomi and Besedin broke up, after the birth of their daughter.

Mathman

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I would not put too much store into this happening; comebacks in skating are rare and in ice dance, if too much time is lost between practices it takes a lot of work to get back into shape as a team. Naomi also has a child now to look after. I am sure her schedule is full.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Drobiasko/Vanagas and Fusar-Poli/Margaglio are returning and will skate in the Olympics, so it's not all that rare.

Katya

Rinkside
Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of an announcement from Naomi about this? Well, from what Peter says “Naomi and I started skating together but not so much lately. I'm not certain what will happen.” it doesn't sound like they are training. I would love to see them skating again :love:

jesslily

Final Flight
It's hard for Peter and Naomi to get back to even where they were. D/V are husband and wife and they always skate together, and F-P/M did not really break up the partnership. But anything can happen if they work very hard and have the great training facility including a coaching team who dedicate their full energy to them.

chuckm said:
Drobiasko/Vanagas and Fusar-Poli/Margaglio are returning and will skate in the Olympics, so it's not all that rare.
Looking forward to D&V and F&P/M very much. With all these different nationalities going to Torino, DEALS, DEALS, DEALS. ;)

Joe

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Looking forward to D&V and F&P/M very much. With all these different nationalities going to Torino, DEALS, DEALS, DEALS. ;)

Joe

I don't think the old guards will hold up against the new wave of dancers. FusarPoli/Margaglio were kinda lucky in the last Olympics...and Drobiazko/Vanagas seem to fall out of favour with the judges once they started voicing their opinion.

I don't think they're going to challenge the top couples of today.

Dyan

On the Ice
Katya said:
Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of an announcement from Naomi about this? Well, from what Peter says “Naomi and I started skating together but not so much lately. I'm not certain what will happen.” it doesn't sound like they are training. I would love to see them skating again :love:

That statement from Peter was given during the weekend of the adult skating camp that took place back in June. Peter said he was the one who told USFS that L&T were interested in returning; that was why we originally saw L&T's names on the Skate America roster. It wasn't USFS jumping the gun as some originally thought.

I'm guessing that it's Naomi who still is not interested in competing on the eligible circuit again. That isn't a criticism; even before she had Lillia to consider she seemed to have lost interest and now that she is a single mom I would imagine it would be even more difficult to get back into competition.

However, if Peter gets Naomi to change her mind and skate competitively as he did in the summer of 2003, they still have time to do Nationals even though it seems they will for sure miss the GP events.

Thisthingcalledlove, D&V were undermarked (one of the teams whom I do agree were undermarked) even before they said anything to the press. 1997 Worlds & 1999 GPF & Worlds come to mind.

It would be nice to see Peter skate one last time; even though he has competed in one Olympics and L&T probably would have a hard time medaling he really seemed to have his heart set on going to Turin.

It's true that Peter is an American citizen now but he will also always be Russian as well. L&T would do well with a Fred Astaire type FD but I think they could also handle a little Russian style drama. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I would be beyond thrilled if Naomi and Peter made a comeback. US ice dancing just hasn't been the same without them. Unfortunately I don't see it happening right now and even if they did B/A and the USFS's golden children and I can't see L/T getting the support they used to.

Dyan said:
It's true that Peter is an American citizen now but he will also always be Russian as well. L&T would do well with a Fred Astaire type FD but I think they could also handle a little Russian style drama. :thumbsup:
Dyan - I liked your giving the background on this topic. thank you.

Your remarks about Peter always being Russian is well taken by me. IMO, Americans are very much concerned about their national backgrounds and cultural ties will prevail. What happens if he becomes a judge?

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If they had a comeback, I would be happy. :rock: :clap: :rock:

Dee

guinevere

Final Flight
I'll believe it when I see it - meaning when they get through the entire Nationals competition.

Dyan

On the Ice
guinevere, I have to admit that I would be dreading another withdrawal. As far as I know Naomi never did have surgery on her ankle (probably figured no need to as L&T dissolved the partnership) and there is no time to do anything about the cyst now if they were planning to return.

Even though it would be nice to see L&T skate again (Petah :love: ) I have to admit I love B&A as well as Stiegler/Magerovsky, Matthews/Zavozin and Gregory/Petukhov are pleasant to watch as well.

Not to mention I'm excited about all the new teams; the return of Jaime Silverstein skating with the talented Ryan O'Meara, Navarro/Bommentre and Goodwin/Obzansky.

Also I wouldn't quite say that L&T have lost the support of USFS. Even after all the missed time USFS was ready to give them a spot at Skate America without having to compete at Lake Placid to earn the spot. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were able to bypass sectionals as well if they should return.

Is Jamie Silverstein really coming back? This is the first I have heard of this great news. Do you know any more details?

Mathman

Dyan

On the Ice
IIRC, it was announced that Jaime would be skating with Ryan O'Meara a little earlier in the spring in BOI's news updates section. I've always adored her skating and was excited to see that she would be skating with Ryan after M&O'M broke up. Ryan reminds me a little bit of Justin Pekarek; excellent technical skater.

Jaime and Ryan are one of the teams who will take part in the Lake Placid icedancing competition next week. I look forward to reading about their progress and new programs. IMO with the citizenship issue among the U.S. dancers and without L&T I think S&O'M are one of the teams with a better than average chance of going to Turino. I would love to see them there.

miffy

Rinkside
Hi Dyan, Naomi did have the cyst drained in February 2004, a few weeks before L/T broke up.

I was very hopeful that they'd come back this season, but i think if they wanted to it would have been far better for them to take the Skate America assignment (and as ISU championship winners they *might* have got another GP assignment, under that new rule that means D/V, FP/M, etc could get an extra place at GPs, there would be 13 places instead of 12) and get experience under CoP which they've never competed under before, rather than just qualify for Nationals. :frown:

I hope now that they're back together as a team they'll at least skate in some shows so that we can see them again. :love:

Ryun and Jamie's pairing up gives us an elegant team to watch. It will be refreshing for me to watch a couple enjoying a dance without a frozen smile or grimacing in the struggle of life.

I'm hoping they make the Olys team.

Joe