Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A possible Lang and Tchernichev comeback?

Custom Title
    guinevere, I have to admit that I would be dreading another withdrawal. As far as I know Naomi never did have surgery on her ankle (probably figured no need to as L&T dissolved the partnership) and there is no time to do anything about the cyst now if they were planning to return.

Even though it would be nice to see L&T skate again (Petah ) I have to admit I love B&A as well as Stiegler/Magerovsky, Matthews/Zavozin and Gregory/Petukhov are pleasant to watch as well.

Not to mention I'm excited about all the new teams; the return of Jaime Silverstein skating with the talented Ryan O'Meara, Navarro/Bommentre and Goodwin/Obzansky.

Also I wouldn't quite say that L&T have lost the support of USFS. Even after all the missed time USFS was ready to give them a spot at Skate America without having to compete at Lake Placid to earn the spot. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were able to bypass sectionals as well if they should return.

Is Jamie Silverstein really coming back? This is the first I have heard of this great news. Do you know any more details?

Mathman

Custom Title
    IIRC, it was announced that Jaime would be skating with Ryan O'Meara a little earlier in the spring in BOI's news updates section. I've always adored her skating and was excited to see that she would be skating with Ryan after M&O'M broke up. Ryan reminds me a little bit of Justin Pekarek; excellent technical skater.

Jaime and Ryan are one of the teams who will take part in the Lake Placid icedancing competition next week. I look forward to reading about their progress and new programs. IMO with the citizenship issue among the U.S. dancers and without L&T I think S&O'M are one of the teams with a better than average chance of going to Turino. I would love to see them there.

On the Ice
    Hi Dyan, Naomi did have the cyst drained in February 2004, a few weeks before L/T broke up.

I was very hopeful that they'd come back this season, but i think if they wanted to it would have been far better for them to take the Skate America assignment (and as ISU championship winners they *might* have got another GP assignment, under that new rule that means D/V, FP/M, etc could get an extra place at GPs, there would be 13 places instead of 12) and get experience under CoP which they've never competed under before, rather than just qualify for Nationals.

I hope now that they're back together as a team they'll at least skate in some shows so that we can see them again.

Ryun and Jamie's pairing up gives us an elegant team to watch. It will be refreshing for me to watch a couple enjoying a dance without a frozen smile or grimacing in the struggle of life.

I'm hoping they make the Olys team.

Joe

It's all about Plushenko.
    the return of Jaime Silverstein skating with the talented Ryan O'Meara
    Yay! I'd also love to see L&T return (you can second the Petah ), because there'd be competition for B&A. G&P are great but they're obviously second to B&A.

Also I wouldn't quite say that L&T have lost the support of USFS. Even after all the missed time USFS was ready to give them a spot at Skate America without having to compete at Lake Placid to earn the spot. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were able to bypass sectionals as well if they should return
    I think you misread me a bit. I wasn't saying that L/T wouldn't have any support from the USFS, just that they wouldn'thave as much support. I wouldsee most of thier backing going to B/A. I think they would be supportive to L/T, but not at the expense of B/Aas they might havein thepast.

sorry aboutthe spacing...my space bar keeps sticking

Custom Title
    I see your point BravesSkateFan. And you do make a valid point. USFS is no different than the other federations as far as wanting to see results and B&A being world silver medalists speaks volumes.

Of course B&A (realizing they aren't everybody's cup of tea) IMHO also have loads of talent and they haven't even begun to peak in their abilities. That last sentence wasn't directed at you, I just wanted to throw in some B&A gushing.

When the Silverstein/O'Meara partnership was first announced I wouldn't allow myself to get too excited as Jaime had teamed up with Brandon Forsyth a couple of seasons ago and the two never made it to competition. They had gotten as far as having a Igor choreograph a FD to "Carmen" for them. I'd also read that Jaime had tried out with Danil Barantsev as well but that didn't work out. I'm hoping that Jaime is truly ready to get back into the swing of competition and that she and Ryan stick it out together.

Tripping on the Podium icedancer2's Avatar
    I would be VERY happy to see them compete again, or, as one poster said -- they should get together to do some shows!!

Hey, SOI NEEDS an ice-dance team very badly!

Moving Forward
    Quote Originally Posted by icedancer2
    I would be VERY happy to see them compete again, or, as one poster said -- they should get together to do some shows!!

Hey, SOI NEEDS an ice-dance team very badly!
    Peter and Naomi with SOI would be my dream come true.

Nan

Custom Title
    Peter T, John Z, Yags -- all in one show! God willing!

I don’t know how to explain or verbalize this very well and I know there is some flawed logic in my argument, but here goes……..

I hate the be the only one to post this, but I guess I kind of take issue with skaters who have retired or whatever you call it these days, coming back just for an Olympics. While yes, the Olympics is about who skates the best on that day and you have to earn you spot, I just have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth for those skaters who completely stop skating competitively, then "come back" for the Olympics alone.

Part of me feels like it’s not fair. I don't know how else to verbalize it or explain it any better, I just don't like it. Perhaps I feel like winning a spot on the Olympic team or medal is a process...that takes years and years so when someone "retires" then comes back and goes to the Olympics, I'm not as supportive.

I also feel bad for the skaters who then have to compete against them (especially in the nationals) because if it were I, and someone came back after a retirement / hiatus and perhaps placed above me and earned a Olympic berth that I thought I had a good chance at, I’d be irritated/sad/angry. While yes, you have to earn your spot, something doesn’t sit right.

It's one thing to do what Kwan as done, strictly limit your competitions but still compete at Nationals and Words, but to do what the Italians and the other team and now perhaps L&T are considering, I just don't like it. Same with what I see in US ice dancing - a trend of teams pairing up just to try and get an Olympic spot because of some rare citizenship anomaly....Seems kind of desperate to me....but then again, if they earn their spot on the team, you can't begrudge them that.

In the end, I like to see a skater stick it out and compete the entire 4-year cycle and go to the Olympics, not "retire / hiatus" and come back for just one big event.

I know it doesn't make much sense...but that's my two cents worth. Flame away should you feel the need.

Darby

Moving Forward
    No need to apologize, Darby. You make some very good points and I agree with much of what you have to say. I think there are some valid reasons why some teams may sit out a season or two and then return to eligible competition, but for those who "retire" only to come back for just the Olympic season, it gives the feeling of "cutting" to the head of the line and can't sit well with those teams who have been steadily working toward this very important season.

Nan

Custom Title
    Though I'm happy about the prospect of seeing F/P&M and Silvia Fontana once more I can see where Darby is coming from.

It reminds me of what happened back in 1994 with all the reinstatements. At the time being a huge fan of T&D, G&G and Boitano I never thought of what effect the returns might have on the skaters who had been working all along for the past few seasons. Particularly in situations where a country might only have one spot open for the Olympics.

I recall reading that some of the teams such as Eltsova & Bushkov were not happy about the return of G&G. Also Marika Humpreys and her partner at the time lost their chance to skate in Lillehammer.

This would definitely have even more of an effect on icedancing where a younger team would have no chance to beat a more experienced and talented elite team. Kendra Goodwin & Chris Obzanksy stated in USFS's online article announcing their partnership that they want a shot at the Olympic team and if L&T return I don't think there is anyway G&O will beat them. It might even be more of an uncomfortable situation considering that Peter us working with them on their OD. Their chances of going to Turino would automatically diminish.

I will say that it seems Peter had never intended to retire; from all accounts if he had his way L&T (or Peter and someone else if he had been able to find a partner with no citizenship issues) would have continued on through the entire Olympic cycle.

I will also admit to being biased towards him and it would be nice if he could skate one last time before either doing shows with Naomi or continuing with his coaching and choreography. Despite the fact that a medal might be a long shot for L&T Peter certainly has/had his heart set on skating in Turino.

Tripping on the Podium icedancer2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    Peter T, John Z, Yags -- all in one show! God willing!
    It just makes me swoon to think of it!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast