Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A possible Lang and Tchernichev comeback?

It seems as though Naomi had wanted to retire or sit out a season due to burnout. Due to letter writing, she & Peter started training again, but then they withdrew from Nationals due to her cyst. Then she became pregnant. So, it's not quite the same as L&T wanting to come back just for Oly's.

Some of the other's are a bit different. I have a feeling that their federations may have asked them to come out of retirement since they don't have any likely medal contenders. FP&M fall into this category. I'm not sure what Silvia's thinking since she was never at the top, but at least she's not going for the only spot on the team.

Custom Title

About Silvia;

In one of their issues published shortly after SLC, Silvia spoke about her intention to turn professional in IFS. She said she would have liked to continue competing but training costs were too much.

Maybe with her coaching and the exhibition shows she's been doing (including the past two Boitano holiday shows with PJZ) I'm thinking she now has enough money to pay for the expenses related with competing as an eligible.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    I would love to see them come back again.
    I think If they hadn't retired when they did that Naom's ankle would have become irrepairable. Even with cortizone injections, I think she was still feeling it.
    Then, after retirement, life happened, and a few things needed to be thought and sorted out for them. Where would Peter go? Would he still skate? etc etc...

But if Naomi is up to it 100%, all around, I say, go for it. If not, I don't think it's worth wasting either of their time. Naomi also has an extra little person to worry about in this equation. But if she can manage both, that's great, too.

I think before the CoP, the judges were always undermarking them. The CoP could really give them a fresh start.
    Last edited by CzarinaAnya; 07-27-2005 at 01:08 AM.

average opinionated skate fan
    But if Naomi is up to it 100%, all around, I say, go for it. If not, I don't think it's worth wasting either of their time. Naomi also has an extra little person to worry about in this equation. But if she can manage both, that's great, too.
    Amen, these two were really special and followed in a long line of under appreciated/undermarked dance teams. But I fear that was then and this is now.

Naomi has always spoken of "family" in that special, reverential way that people who treasure their families do. I might be wrong and be soundly proven so, however I think that Naomi's priorities are on her new family. She seems much more the type to enjoy her past accomplishments, and as long as she can be near or on the ice, she will have a very happy and complete life.

I feel somewhat sorry for Peter, though I think he is making the best of his new life as a coach and choreographer. I really believe that his female fan base will support him as a celebrity poster boy for hot skaters. He could easily make tons of money on modeling alone and still coach and choreograph.

I betcha both of them feel like, "hey we don't own a world or olympic medals, but all our mulitiple-consecutive nat golds aren't anything to sneeze at" I hope so, they made us all so proud and represented our country so well for a long time.

SkateFan4Life
    I would not expect Naomi and Peter to make a comeback. They won five successive US titles, skated at Worlds and the Olympics, and represented the US with style and grace. It's unfortunate that they did not place higher than they did in international competitions. If they did come back, they would have a lot of ground to make up, and they would be up against the likes of Belbin & Agosto at Nationals, and a host of top-notch international talent.

Keep your eyes and ears open, a little bird told me something that you may be hearing about SOON!!!!

That's it??! Keep your eyes and ears open? Come on, dish, dish!!!

I CAN'T say more right now but you will hear more soon!

I'm suspecting they were in Lake Placid.

Joe

Custom Title
    The deadline for entry to Lake Placid was June 15th, 2005. I wonder when the rumors began spreading?

I am seriously thinking of heading north! I was tempeted by D&V being entried, but the mid-week competition doesn't go well with my commitment to be at work

Need more vacation days!

Yana

Any more news on the subject?

On the Ice
    They're not skating at Lake Placid. Maybe they've changed their mind about Skate America or something? That USFSA statement was pretty vague.

pennyfromheaven, how soon is soon?!

On the Ice
    So I guess the "big announcement" that never came is that they're skating in Michael Weiss' benefit show?

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Arianne
    L/T are thinking about coming back according to the news at the blades on ice website. This would be so cool because I think they would do great under the new system and would definately lock in a spot at the Olympics! What do you think? Is there anymore news on this subject?

Arianne
    I would be surprised to bee them make a comeback. When you've been away from the ice for a full season, it will be difficult to regain the skating skills and competitive edge. Frankly, IMHO, Belbin and Agosto are the "golden dance couple", as far as the USFSA is concerned - citizenship problems or no citizenship problems - and L & T just won't be welcomed back with open arms. That's my take on the situation, anyway.

Custom Title
    I agree SkateFan4Life. And with L&T it's been more than one season. At this point in time it will have been over 5 years since they've competed in the GP series, they haven't been to worlds since 2003 and their last nationals appearance was of course the CD performance in 2004.

I'm thinking that they possibly will skate as "pros." It would be nice if they got invited to a couple of the Disson shows but if they have no agent would it be harder to get booked on that type of show or even COI/SOI?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast