The Island | Golden Skate

The Island

Antilles

Medalist
I saw this film last night, and I enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting it to be such a "smash 'em up" movie, but it was entertaining nonetheless. I always enjoy MacGregor, and Johansson was good, too. Steve Buscemi is always a treat, and added some comedy to the film. I also liked seeing Djimon Honsou in this film.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Antilles said:
I saw this film last night, and I enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting it to be such a "smash 'em up" movie, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

For future reference, if you ever see the name "Michael Bay" attached to a movie as a director, it's a 100% guarantee that it will be a "smash 'em up" movie. That's all he seems to enjoy doing (Bad Boys, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor). The more stunts and explosions, the better.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thanks, Antilles............this one is definitely on my "must see" list.............42

Buzzz

Final Flight
I agree with the critics that some of the action sequence does not make much sense, but I still loved it. Ewan McGregor looks great without that beard. hehehe :biggrin:

Vash01

Medalist
I prefer Ewan with the beard.

SPOILER ahead..............

For the first 30 min. or so I was bored, not understanding what was going on. As it started evolving it became more interesting. When the two come in contact with 'real' world there was some humor and it lightened things up a bit. The violence- cars being smashed, guns, etc. was too much for me, but I liked the idea behind the movie. I wish it had been done with less 'action'.

Overall not a bad film.

Vash

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
O.M.G. It was great. I really really liked it. It was so fast paced, and pulsing, and thought provoking without taking one side over the other. I really liked how it wasn't for or against cloning... just the raising of the question. It was good. And hey 2 Ewans for the price of one rocks!!!!!!!!!! I loved how they use the actor's real life for that (the need for speed, a ladies man, the fact that he's from Scotland) I loved that Ewan had his own accent (ok so I didn't realize that he was not using it for most of the movie until it was almost over but still)... and he just... I don't know he had this boyish charm that I guess I'm not used to seeing him play. I mean even in Big Fish he wasn't really boyish. I think it's because his character is so naieve in this film. I don't know. And he and Scarlett Johannson have such awesome on screen chemestry. I really bought into their whole friendship and then yeah more than friends thing lol.

I jumped a couple of times, and then one time I had to raise my eyebrows (I didn't know the f-bomb was dropped. It was a funny line withOUT Ewan using it but whatever...)

I think I'll end up owning this film even with that bomb being dropped lol. 1 because it's a Ewan film, and 2 because it's awesome LOL. I also think that the way he says "sh*t" in his accent is cool. I know that's weird to say, but I just found it funny (and I didn't know that's what he was saying the first time he said it)

The way they did the scenes where there were 2 of Ewan was really well done. and it worked. I believed it.

Really good movie, I highly recommend it!