Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why do you dislike Navka/Kostomarov?

Custom Title
    I am one of those rare skating fans NOT opposed to 'war horses'...Turandot, Tosca or otherwise...but I really disliked their cut of Tosca, and could never get into their dance of it for some reason (that I can't elaborate on...just a feeling...); but i think they are a great team, and i don't understand dance rules enough to couch judge myself, and I only ever catch the free dance on tv (so i don't have the other two segments of the competition to compare to), and I also like the D/S's, and admire B/A's improvement and rise but enjoy watching L/T more than them...and that's ALL I can say about ice dance other than I wish I had more time to learn more about, and more tv coverage of it as well.

Custom Title
    Interesting about the Russian media liking Navka much more than Kostomarov. I had heard the same thing too. And if you go on navkos.narod.ru; there seem to be much more interviews w/ Navka & Zhulin than Navka & Kostomarov. Can anyone explain why?
    Is it because the press thinks that Roman is not at Navka's skill level/not a worthy partner for her? Is it because Navka is from the old Dubova school of Ice Dancing, and has been around since the Klimova/Ponomarenko era? Is it because she's married to Zhulin?
    Thanks

Custom Title
    It's true that Navka gets much more media attention than Roman. It's not because he is disliked, just there's nothing interesting in him (besides his sports achievements, of course . At least now. Some years ago he was an ...erm... complicated person, according to his offended ex-partner Anna Semenovich). But now he's interviewed and spoken of only when there're some competitions.
    Navka attracts much more attention because of her off-ice personality and, of course, Zhulin. I'm sure it has nothing to do with skating.
    She is admired and praised as a woman who found her love and happiness along with exceptional sports carreer. I have never read a single article blaming her past "immoral" behaviour, on the contrary, it is stressed that she and Zhulin managed to ignore people's negative attitude towards them and now they're a happy family.

There was a great article about all three of them about two years ago. I remember two points from it:
    - When Navka and Roman just started to skate together he was very impatient and when something went wrong during the practice he would start shouting and throwing things at her. *how verrrry rrrude*
    - When they have some arguments on ice Zhulin would always take Roman's side
    Last edited by Shanti; 07-29-2005 at 03:09 PM.

Custom Title
    I have nothing against them. I do think out of all the top teams today they have the "it" factor. However I just don't consider them legends. They don't impress me like Torvill and Dean, Klimova and Ponamarenko or Annisina and Peizerat.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    No comment on N&K - can't place them at the moment. Personally I think D&L are one of the most stunning couples on ice today. I saw them in person at Worlds in Vancouver 2001. They are absolutely gorgeous.

http://www.dubreuil-lauzon.com/photos-worlds05.php

Custom Title

Thumbs up

Tatiana Navka & Roman Kostomarov are the reigning World Champions in Ice Dance, having also won the previous year.
    Two sites about N&K are:
    http://www.icedance.com/navka (offical English site)
    & http://navkos.narod.ru (a Russian fansite)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    No comment on N&K - can't place them at the moment. Personally I think D&L are one of the most stunning couples on ice today. I saw them in person at Worlds in Vancouver 2001. They are absolutely gorgeous.

http://www.dubreuil-lauzon.com/photos-worlds05.php

-Thanks Shanti for the overview of the Russian Press & NavKos.
    Last edited by lulu; 07-30-2005 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lulu
    Tatiana Navka & Roman Kostomarov are the reigning World Champions in Ice Dance, having also won the previous year.
    Two sites about N&K are:

And Sarah Hughes is the Olympic Champion. Soooo? It doesn't mean you have to adore the winner.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    And Sarah Hughes is the Olympic Champion. Soooo? It doesn't mean you have to adore the winner.

Joe
    Joe, I think Lulu was simply replying to Ladskater, who said she couldn't recall N&K at this moment; I don't think she was trying to say "they are the reigning Worlds Champions, worship them!" At least, that's how I read it.

Andy W.

Quote Originally Posted by ATW27
    Joe, I think Lulu was simply replying to Ladskater, who said she couldn't recall N&K at this moment; I don't think she was trying to say "they are the reigning Worlds Champions, worship them!" At least, that's how I read it.

Andy W.
    Whoops, I jumped the gun. Thanks Andy. Sorry about that. I'll be more careful in future.

Joe

But that does point up the main problem for this couple, IMHO. They do not call attention to themselves (like the flamboyant Anassina and Peiserat, for instance). When they take to the ice a lot of people say, "who's that?"

MM

Rinkside

In defense...

I realize that this is almost a "bash N&K" discussion (heh heh), but to their credit, or at least to N's, I think it's great to see someone back on the ice and skating at that level AFTER HAVING A CHILD. Ice dancing, vs the other disciplines, would be more physically amenable to that, but still, it is very impressive and rare to compete at any demanding sport after giving birth.

I do really like N&K's skating, for their flow and elegance, although I agree that they are often overscored. I loved their pink panther-austin powers free dance, but their tosca routine wasn't anything special (and actually a huge disappointment after viewing their other routines).

I agree that D&S have more technical skill, and it annoys me that they are often underscored vs N&K, but they are sometimes sloppy in their execution, and unfortunately, the judges have given N&K the benefit of the doubt over N&K in these cases.

Quote Originally Posted by fml99
    I realize that this is almost a "bash N&K" discussion (heh heh), but to their credit, or at least to N's, I think it's great to see someone back on the ice and skating at that level AFTER HAVING A CHILD. Ice dancing, vs the other disciplines, would be more physically amenable to that, but still, it is very impressive and rare to compete at any demanding sport after giving birth.
    Hmmm... Just wondering... Who other than Rodnina and Gordeeva have skated in Olympics after giving birth?

Minusaramadad from Arctaroon John King's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu
    Two sites about N&K are:

I think you mean www.ice-dance.com/navka ,you forgot the hyphen.

Custom Title
    Hmmm... Just wondering... Who other than Rodnina and Gordeeva have skated in Olympics after giving birth?
    I think Peggy Schwartz in 1998 and Zuzana Babiakova in 2002.

Probably some others earlier in the 20th century whose biographies are less public, but not a lot. And not at the same level as the Olympic champions you mentioned.

Although Schwartz & Muller did medal at WORLDS in 1998.
    Last edited by gkelly; 07-30-2005 at 08:10 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ATW27

Andy W.
    Thanks Andy.
    Simply trying to explain who N&K were. Certainly not saying that N&K should be "worshipped" because they are the reigning ice dancing champions. :

__________________________________________________ ______________
    Thanks for the corrected website address. :D

__________________________________________________ ______________

I knew about Gordeeva, Rodnina & Schwartz, but had no idea that Babiakova had a kid too. I guess I need to improve my knowledge on the personal factoids of obscure skaters.
    Another woman who skated in the Olympics after giving birth is Kristy Wirtz.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast