Brian Boitano Show | Golden Skate

Brian Boitano Show

L

ladybug

Brian Boitano Show

I was very impressed with the Brian Boitano show today. It was different from all the others that have been on and I really hated to see it end.

I think it was the best of all the shows on this season minus the three singers. They or their style of music just didn't fit the theme of the show. How did the rest of you rate it?

I did notice that Gorsha Sur was not there. He wasn't there last year either. Does anyone know why. It seems really strange to have half of an ice dance team two years in a row.

Did anyone hear the nasty way Jay Leno mentioned the Boitano program? His comments just aren't necessary.

S

sk8ing lady2001

Re: Brian Boitano Show

Very soon, I'll see what it's like also. :)

F

FetalAttraction

The show starts off on the wrong foot, two of them actually, belonging to Apolo Anton Ohno. He quite literally skates around in a circle to music (it could be a Chinese skater's program minus the jumps). He did have "great speed and good ice coverage," though:smokin: .

The show itself has the theme of paying tribute to the ice shows of yore. That means even more gaudy group numbers, and some really old guy who skated with the Icecapades waddled around the ice quite often.

Some highlights of the program include:

Anything and everything with Yuka Sato. She skated with her husband Jason, who looks like Donny Osmond, only uglier. The disturbing Mormon connections aside, Yuka was fabulous in every move. The couple even did a big, perfectly united, close together double axel. This team is ready for eligible competition, in my opinion, if Yuka can get the citizenship thing straightened out. Wouldn't we like to see Yuka back in amateurs? Wouldn't we? Wouldn't we?

Brian Boitano asserts his love and obsession for a dancer (she stood on a stage near the ice) while skating to Girl from Ipanema. Alas, as much as the very heterosexual (saying otherwise gets my posts deleted and gets me death threats) Brian Boitano wants to have his way with the girl, she rejects him, probably because of his dorky oversized opened shirt that made his upper body look even more out of porportion to his giant legs. The skating and dancing was great, though.

Brian Boitano also skated in unison with the Icecapade geriatric I mentioned. Anyone who says you can't tell speed on TV needs to see this performance. It was OBVIOUS, TV or not, that Boitano slowed down massively to accomodate the old coot. Boitano even dumbed down the flex in his spread eagle to match the codger. Very nice guy, that Boitano. Maybe he was just happy he finally gets to do a same-sex pair routine.

Laurence Toebel or whatever his name is did a drag parody of Katarina Witt's Carmen routine. Look, a man wearing non-man clothes, everybody laugh! Seriously, I thought he skated better than the real Witt, and the Carmen death at the end is a must-see for any skater who thinks literal choreography in character skating is a good idea (Yagudin, Irina, AP).

Apolo Anton Ohno, proving that he's capable of doing more than just making left turns on ice (which is all speed skating is, goes to show what kind of retard Cinquanta is), did a little breakdancing on ice. He sure made Michael Weiss look like an amateur. Then again, even that Icecapades fogey could breakdance better than Weiss.

The lowlights:

Renee Roca did some routine to 70s music. There was barely any skating. She just puttered around and posed a little. Apolo's program had more content than hers.

While Kristi Yamaguchi was skating to En Vogue, either she had to take a potty break during the program, or for some reason the camera decided to focus on En Vogue nonstop for 2 minutes. There's a reason they're called SINGERS, we LISTEN to them. We WATCH the skaters, we LISTEN to the singers. Got that, idiotic camera directors of ice shows?

Nancy Kerrigan, whom I find repulsive, skated to En Vogue's constipation-themed song "Don't Let Go." It is one of the most painful and awful songs in the history of music that I have ever heard. I'd rather listen to Jenny Kirk's ABBA medley and Honda's Mummy music and Arakawa's trip-hop Swan Lake back to back for 24 hours than hear that song for 30 seconds. The great thing was, since it was Nancy skating to the dreaded song, I just put the TV on mute and ignored it for 5 minutes. If Yuka Sato had skated to it, I'd have been screwed!

There was actually very little skating to watch in this special. With all the irrelevant interviews with ice show has-beens, the group numbers where elite skaters shuffle around mindlessly in gaudy clothes, the awful music, and Apolo Anton Ohno, this is a show you want to TIVO and fast forward.

C

CB1AB2

I LIKED THE SHOW=IT WAS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER SPECIALS= WHICH I THINK MADE IT MORE INTERESTING=JASON AND YUKA ARE PERFECT TOGETHER=THEY SKATE BEAUTLFULLY=I LIKE KRISTIE'S NEW HAIR CUT AND I LIKED HER SKATING TOO. WHAT CAN I SAY ABOUT BRIAN=HE STILL HAS IT=I ALWAYS LIKE WATCHING HIM SKATE=I LIKED THE HERNADOS HIDEWAY NUMBER= I COULD GO ON=BUT=I'LL JUST END BY SAYING THAT I THOUGHT IT WAS ONE OF THE BETTER SHOWS I'VE SEEN IN A WHILE
cb

F

frozetoez

Brian's show

Brian's show was wonderful!

I was amused by Fetal's "review". It wasn't so much a review of the show but an opportunity to take a pathetic, wimpy swipe at some figure skaters. It's interesting that for a show as bad as Fetal felt this was, he/she sure paid a lot of attention to it. Most normal people were turn off something so awful after about 20 minutes, but you stuck through it. I'm impressed!

Fetal: People who try to be controversial and get a rise out of others usually have better material. Work on it, babe, cuz frankly your feeble attempt at controversy is a yawner.

G

Grgranny

Re: Brian's show

Welcome to the board Frozetoez. You must be a skater. :lol:
I agree with a lot of what you said. Some people feel inferior so they have to do a lot of put downs.

F

FetalAttraction

Wah? That was me trying to be controversial? But I didn't even invoke religion! Overreact much?

That was an honest review. I didn't think pointing out Apolo Anton Ohno skating in a circle is not a figure skating program is that controversial. Or maybe people had a real big issue with my praise of Yuka Sato. OK I admit it, Apolo Anton Ohno is a much better figure skater than Yuka Sato. Happy now?

Seriously, people, if you disagree with someone's review, don't make it personal, instead try offering another opinion.

L

Lcp88

True, you want to see something controversial, read some of the threads and posts about religion and homo/hetero sexuality.
Laura

G

Grgranny

I certainly agree about Ohno. They must have been desperate.

P

Princess Leppard 625

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-family:georgia;font-size:x-small;">When I had the misfortune to attend an Ice Capades show in 93 (I think?), there was a speed skater in that, too. A short, blonde woman whose name escapes me at the moment. She did much of what Apolo must've done, which is skate in a big circle. I'm not sure what purpose it served.

Anyway, I liked Fetal's review. But you are welcome to disagree. This forum would be boring if we all agreed on everything....

cheers,

Laura :) who didn't see the show</span>

J

Joesitz

I'm not going to put down anyone (although I would like to) because to me it is just another ice show: same old jumops; same old camels. I prefer competitions much much more than ice shows. Maybe if John Curry had lived we might have a serious ice show but that didn't happen.

Joe

G

GBMalwayz

LCP

We have discussed in off topic science and religion, or at least most of it was discussion aside from idiotic posts about yoda.

But where is the discussion on religion and sexuality? I guess I missed that one.:)

H

heyang

I think I saw the same Capades as you Laura. I believe she won short track several times. Was Bowman in the same show?

BTW, I agree with you attitude that the forum should be about agreeing to disagree.

S

Show 42

I only saw part of the show.......sorry to say that the "Home and Garden" channel won out that day at that particular time. Ohno is a Gold Medalist, cute, young, and very popular, plus is a recognizable figure. I am guessing that since this was an ice show and not a competition, Brian thought Appollo would be an added draw for viewers. If I had known that he was going to skate, I would have recorded the program in another room..........42

G

Grgranny

Well, I liked seeing that "old man" on the show. I pretty much liked the whole show except for Ohno. I didn't see the last of it as I was trying to tape the other one on another vcr and discovered today that the tape ran out right after Jumpin Joe.

D

dlksk8fan

Ggranny I'm with you about the "old man" (Richard Dwyer). At age 72 I thought he did a great job. Let see how many 70 years olds could do what he did. He was a U.S. bronze medalist and had a long career skating with Ice Capades. I recall seeing him skate when I was a little girl.

The whole show was about paying tribute to the old ice shows. I think Brian did just that with this show. I enjoyed it.

F

frozetoez

Getting personal

Fetal,

How ironic. :rollin:

You cry foul because I "got personal" in my post, but that's exactly what you did in yours. Jason Dungen, ugly? Nancy Kerrigan, repulsive? Pot. Kettle. Black.

F

FetalAttraction

Re: Getting personal

You do realize that you're not Jason or Nancy, right? You do also realize the difference between making fun of famous people and spewing vitriol at another poster on a message board, right? Well, I hope you do now.

Taking potshots at celebrities is a time-honored American tradition. Everybody from Mark Twain to Johnny Carson did it, not that I'm suggesting I'm up there with those dead drunken greats. I'm merely following in their red, white and blue footsteps. In this day and age, when America is constantly under attack from within and without, you'd think people like me who uphold the country's honorable ways would be commended, instead of insulted. Like the Native American in that garbage commercial, I shed a tear for how far down the drain this country has gone.