Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Olympic Qualifying Competition
Senior, Ladies, Men, Pairs, Ice Dance
October 12-16, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Official Site

Watanabe and Kido are in fourth place so far. Does anyone know how high they have to finish to qualify for the Olympics?

Good start for Langois and Hay (2nd after the short).

Mathman

Anke G

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Watanabe and Kido are in fourth place so far. Does anyone know how high they have to finish to qualify for the Olympics?

Good start for Langois and Hay (2nd after the short).

Mathman

I was wondering this, too.
Check on http://www.isu.org/ (click on the Olympic Qualifying article) and
on the Unseenskaters thread for a good explanation of how this works:
http://www.unseenskaters.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4199

Note, too, that the official website for this competition has a live streaming video feed available. Austria is 6 hours ahead of EDT and 9 hours ahead of PDT. Last night (before the start of today's events) I could see a rerun of the CD (but no music for some reason).

Men's short begins NOW (11am EDT, 8am PDT).

Anke G

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I hope Murvanidze makes it!

Ditto for Fleur in ladies.

I realize this isn't too much of a competition, but still good for D&V on their first CoP competition!

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
I hope Murvanidze makes it!

Ditto for Fleur in ladies.

I realize this isn't too much of a competition, but still good for D&V on their first CoP competition!

This is D/V second competition under the COP, remember that they competed at the Nebelhorn Trophy against Belbin and Agosto where they finished second.

Somewhere on this Forum, we became aware of how many are accepted to go to the Olys. I forgot where. I think its early onset dementia.

Anyway can anyone give me the no. of skaters able to comple the Oly requirement for each Division?

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Somewhere on this Forum, we became aware of how many are accepted to go to the Olys. I forgot where. I think its early onset dementia.

Anyway can anyone give me the no. of skaters able to comple the Oly requirement for each Division?

Joe
I outlined it here in the D&V dance thread.

If everyone uses all of their spots, the following Men, Pairs, and Dancers qualify a spot for their countries (Ladies finishes tomorrow):

Qualifiers:
1 Tomas VERNER CZE 174.10 2 1
2 Gregor URBAS SLO 168.86 6 2
3 Vakhtang MURVANIDZE GEO 163.94 3 3
4 Jong In HAN PRK 160.35 1 5
5 Viktor PFEIFER AUT 159.63 5 4
6 Vitali DANILCHENKO UKR 159.17 4 6

Alternates:
7 Zoltan TOTH HUN 150.18 8 7
8 Igor MATSIPURA SVK 146.55 9 8
9 Trifun ZIVANOVIC SCG 145.57 7 11
10 John HAMER GBR 144.02 11 9
11 Aidas REKLYS LTU 142.84 10 10
12 Ari-Pekka NURMENKARI FIN 132.66 12 12
13 Zeus ISSARIOTIS GRE 124.39 14 13
14 Andrei DOBROKHODOV AZE 116.03 18 14
15 Gareth ECHARDT RSA 114.65 13 16
16 Sean CARLOW AUS 114.21 15 15
17 Miguel Angel MOYRON MEX 108.30 19 17
18 Juan LEGAZ ESP 101.90 17 18
19 Alper UCAR TUR 95.70 16 20
20 Dong-Whun LEE KOR 91.55 21 19
21 Joel WATSON NZL 82.51 20 21

The first question is whether Belgium will send two men, which is unlikely. Then there is the issue of qualifying by the standards of the National Olympic Committees. For example, Kristoffer Berntsson, who qualified a spot for Sweden, said during an interview that he's not counting on it. (I believe he has to be in the top 6 in on of his GP events. He has a shot at Skate America, especially if he's on and others are rusty, but I don't think he has much of a chance at Cup of Russia, if everyone is healthly.) Finally, it isn't clear if PRK will field a team and use its qualifying spot.

Qualifiers (edited):

4 Marylin PLA / Yannick BONHEUR FRA 127.30 5 4
7 Rumiana SPASSOVA / Stanimir TODOROV BUL 115.88 8 7
8 Mi Hyang SUNG / Yong Hyok JONG PRK 113.48 7 9
9 Diana RENNIK / Aleksei SAKS EST 113.12 9 8

Canada, US, and Poland have already qualified two spots each. Langlois/Archetto's 2nd and Vise/Trent's 3rd place finishes were for experience. It is possible that Poland is going to use Piatkowska/Khromin's 6th place finish to determine whether to send two pairs teams to the Olympics. Edited per RIskatingfan's post below :)blush:): 1st place Volosozhar/Kharchenko qualified a spot for Ukraine, and Savchenko/Szolkowy qualified two spots for Germany at Moscow. (Fitze/Rex's 5th place finish was for experience only.)

Alternates:

10 Marina AGANINA / Artem KNYAZEV UZB 109.54 11 10
11 Olga BESTANDIGOVA / Vladimir FUTAS SVK 98.37 10 11
12 Emma BRIEN / Stuart BECKINGHAM AUS 89.12 12 12

Qualifiers:
1 Margarita DROBIAZKO / Povilas VANAGAS LTU 184.22 1 1 1
2 Kristin FRASER / Igor LUKANIN AZE 156.18 2 2 2
3 Christina BEIER / William BEIER GER 148.20 5 3 5
4 Nozomi WATANABE / Akiyuki KIDO JPN 146.10 4 4 7
6 Anastasia GREBENKINA / Vazgen AZROJAN ARM 144.52 11 8 3

Navarro/Bommentre's 5th place finish was very impressive, especially since they were only .04 points below 4th place Watanabe/Kido, who are well known to the judges. Carron/Jost's 7th place won't affect the alternate list, since France had already qualified two spots. Still, C/J are a new team, and that's a nice finish for them.

Alternates:

8 Nora HOFFMANN / Attila ELEK HUN 141.81 3 7 9
9 Alexandra KAUC / Michal ZYCH POL 140.36 9 9 6
10 Laura MUNANA / Luke MUNANA MEX 128.35 12 11 10
11 Fang YANG / Chongbo GAO CHN 125.88 8 10 13
12 Kamila HAJKOVA / David VINCOUR CZE 121.58 16 12 11
13 Alla BEKNAZAROVA / Vladimir ZUEV UKR 120.50 13 13 14
14 Barbora SILNA / Dmitri MATSJUK AUT 119.57 15 14 12
15 Natalie BUCK / Trent NELSON-BOND AUS 109.22 17 15 15
16 Olga AKIMOVA / Alexander SHAKALOV UZB 104.51 14 16 16
WD Pamela O'CONNOR / Jonathon O'DOUGHERTY GBR 10

It's not likely that Bulgaria will use both dance slots, because their only other team is a very low-ranking junior team. Hoffmann/Elek might squeak through, but they should have been on the podium behind D/V and Fraser/Lukanin. Something went terribly wrong, with a 7th place finish in the OD and a 9th place finish in the FD. They were even behind Kauc/Zych in the FD; at last year's Worlds K/Z weren't really in the same league with H/E.

There was also talk on FSU that the Israeli Olympic Team won't send the Zaretskis as a second team, which could free up another spot.

Last edited:
Thanks HockeyFan - I knew you would come to the rescue.

Sorry about Trifun. Not surprised at Verner and Murv. Didn't we like Zoltan Toth at Moscow? and John Hammer in Dortmund? What is PRK?

Don't remember any of the Pairs. Should I?

No surprises in Dance. Wasn't Bommentre part of that team that split last year? He's doing well with the new partner. Of course there is US Nats! Sorry about Munana and Munana. They were a delight in Moscow.

And thanks, Hockeyfan for the explanations. I'll be waiting for a report on the Ladies.

Joe

Last edited:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Hockeyfan, a small correction on the pairs... Volosozhar&Morozov and Savchenko&Szolkowy already granted 2 spots in Moscow last season for Ukraine and Germany. So the North Korean team and the Estonians, who finished 8th and 9th here, were able to qualify. Poland is not going to send a second team, so Agnina&Knyazev are also going to Torino :)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
Hockeyfan, a small correction on the pairs... Volosozhar&Morozov and Savchenko&Szolkowy already granted 2 spots in Moscow last season for Ukraine and Germany. So the North Korean team and the Estonians, who finished 8th and 9th here, were able to qualify. Poland is not going to send a second team, so Agnina&Knyazev are also going to Torino :)
You're absolutely right -- I keep forgetting that Savchenko's citizenship issues do not nullify Germany's spots, because they go to Germany, not the skaters themselves. :banging: And how did I forget V/M, who are one of my favorite teams? :banging:

Joesitz said:
Didn't we like Zoltan Toth at Moscow? and John Hammer in Dortmund? What is PRK?
Toth was the tall, elegant Hungarian skater. Unfortunately, his jumps deserted him. It was Neil Wilson we liked so much in Dortmund. He had been training in Canada, I think with McLeod (Sandhu's coach), but I'm not even sure he competed last year. PRK is People's Republic of Korea (North), and KOR is South Korea.

Joesitz said:
Don't remember any of the Pairs. Should I?
Volosozhar/Morozov were the elegant Ukrainian pair. She has wonderful flexibility, yet she didn't distort the line, and they had one of the biggest and most securely landed throws of the competition. I think it was in DC with her last partner that she, usually a consistent jumper, fell on everything, and they pretty much imploded before they split up, but that could have been Dortmund. (They had been very nice at Euros in 2003.)

Fitze/Rex were not at Moscow, because their 12th place finish in Dortmund qualified only one pair for Moscow. They are an athletic pair, but they aren't in the same league as Savchenko/Szolkowy, who had to sit out two seasons because Savchenko had competed for Ukraine before that.

Spassova/Todorov were that nice pair from Bulgaria. They aren't really competitive because their elements were doubles instead of triples (jumps, twist, throws), but they moved nicely and were musical. According to the protocols they haven't upgraded these to triples, but they did up their pairs spin from L2 to L3. I hope the Bulgarian Olympic committee will send them for the experience. I don't know how the countries with such strict standards -- some from the Federation and some from the National Olympic Committees -- will ever jumpstart these sports if 1. the up-and-coming athletes don't get the experience of being in an Olympics and 2. if kids from their country don't get exposed to them on TV and think, "I want to do that." How many kids in Sweden would start to skate if Kristoffer Berntsson was televised?

Joesitz said:
Wasn't Bommentre part of that team that split last year? He's doing well with the new partner. Of course there is US Nats! Sorry about Munana and Munana. They were a delight in Moscow.
Bommentre was teamed with the ravishing Kendra Goodwin last year. From the bootleg videos, it looks like he and Navarro have good chemistry between them. I love him because he's so dancy. The Munanas came so close, too. It would be very sad if they missed the cut-off by one, and they, too, were very appealing in the bootlegs.

And now the Ladies:

Qualified:
1 Yan LIU CHN 140.81 1 1
2 Yong Suk KIM PRK 130.62 2 2
3 Fleur MAXWELL LUX 123.28 4 4
4 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO 120.34 7 3
5 Elena GLEBOVA EST 115.71 3 10
6 Roxana LUCA ROM 115.20 9 5

Alternates:
7 Anastasia GIMAZETDINOVA UZB 114.66 5 7
8 Sara FALOTICO BEL 112.91 10 6
9 Tugba KARADEMIR TUR 111.45 8 8
10 Martine ZUIDERWIJK NED 105.53 13 12
11 Ji Eun CHOI KOR 105.51 14 9
12 Andrea KREUZER AUT 105.22 12 14
13 Daria TIMOSHENKO AZE 101.50 6 18
14 Hristina VASILEVA BUL 100.89 16 11
15 Petra LUKACIKOVA CZE 97.59 15 16
16 Jenna-Anne BUYS RSA 97.12 21 13
17 Jacqueline BELENYESIOVA SVK 95.99 17 15
18 Laura FERNANDEZ ESP 91.14 18 19
19 Candice DIDIER FRA 90.90 20 17
20 Michelle CANTU MEX 86.70 19 20
21 Jenna McCORKELL GBR 85.80 11 23
22 Olga ZADVORNOVA LAT 79.71 23 21
23 Diane CHEN TPE 78.09 22 22

Jenna McCorkell came in last in the LP. She had so much potential in 2003, and she even gave up the Princess Margaret dresses and the tinkly piano music for her short program this year -- very athletic and techno, and in a mostly black with orange highlights body suit. In her LP, she singled five jumps, and landed a 2A and 2F. :cry:

Kudos to Yan Liu, who I thought wuzrobbed in Moscow. She scored almost 20 points higher for her SP and LP at Karl Schaeffer than she did in Moscow (after quali round was deducted from her total score from Worlds.) She landed 7 triples, including a 3Lo SEQ 3Sa, for which she got .57 GOE. Unfortunately, she seemed to have trouble on her 3T; she got -2.0 GOE on her solo attempt, and she downgraded her 3T+2T attempt to 3T+1T. I hope she makes the Olympic team!

Last edited:

jagr15063

Spectator
Men's Olympic spots

two more men 's olympic slots were opened up when Belguim& Israel opted

not to use the mens olympic slots they were given at the worlds in moscow last

year. In Belgums case they opted not to use one of there two slots and in

Isreal's case there are citzenship issues with Roman Sernov so the the two

open olympic slots were awarded to Hungary & Slovakia

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure North Korea is going to send a team to Torino; I think the fact that they sent one to this competition is a pretty clear indicator that they intend to, given the fact that the only other time they seem to appear are at competitions in Asia, and even then not very often. Also, it's easier for them to send a team to the Olys then it is to the Worlds because it is my understanding that the IOC is willing to finance travel expenses for "developing countries", which explains why at the Summer Olys you see swimmers from countries that barely have any water that come in 10 minutes behind everyone else. Fun Fact: North Korea sent a figure skating team to Albertville in '92. Their finishes: 28th out of 31 in Men's (one of the men withdrew), 27th out of 30 in Ladies, 18th (last) in Pairs, 19th (last) in Dance. Seems to me, based on the standings in Vienna, that their team is much stronger now, so why not send one?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The first official communication has come out from the ISU:

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-170563-187781-97460-0-file,00.pdf

1. Bulgaria is sending one dance team, and Hungary now has the 24th dance spot.

2. Belgium is sending one man and Israel is sending no Men. Hungary gets the 29th spot, and Slovakia the 30th spot.

3. Poland is sending one pairs team. Uzbekistan is now slotted for 20th.

Now the skaters in some countries have to earn certain placements in the Grand Prix and/or Europeans to qualify.

The German skaters need to place in the top 10 at Euros, or the top 11, if they finish 6th or higher in the GP. Lindemann, the reigning bronze should at least finish in the top 10 at Euros, and in the top six in Japan given the relatively inconsistent Men's field -- apparently his quad toe has deserted him at the moment -- but Dytrt is going to need help for top six in France, although she has a decent shot in Japan. Ironically, she would have had an easier time to be a top 10 European skater at Worlds than at Europeans, because at Euros there will be three Finnish women and two Ukrainian women (instead of one each at Moscow) and three Russian women (instead of two at Moscow).

As for the Beiers, they are competing for 5th place at highest if the current rosters compete and are healthy -- there are four teams pretty much guaranteed to finish above them at Skate America and Trophee Eric Bompard. At Skate America, their main competition will be Silverstein/O'Meara and Stiegler/Magerovskiy. S/M (150+pts) scored a little higher at Nebelhorn than B/B (148+points) did at Karl Schaefer. Silverstein/O'Meara scored 155+ points at Lake Placid, which on the one hand was two months earlier in the season, and with a new couple, every month can count, but on the other hand I think it was scored by US judges. Karam/McGrath scored 160+ at Canadian Junior Nationals last year and 153+ at Junior Worlds, and Senft/Gislason scored 164+ at Canadian Seniors. I don't know where Rubleva/Shefer (couldn't find scores for them from two years ago, when they were juniors) fit in. At TEB, it should be a close competition between the Beiers, Pechelat/Bourzat, Grebenkova/Azrojan, and Watanabe/Kido. I'm not sure where Khokhlova/Novitski stand.

Berntsson of Sweden needs to finish in the top six at a GP event. (I don't know if there's a Euros benchmark as well. Tenth again is not a given, since it's likely Klimkin will compete, and he should place above Berntsson. I assume the requirements are the same for Sweden, and Berntsson was stronger than Johansson last year.

The countries for the judges were also chosen.

Ladies: AUS, CAN, FRA, GBR, HUN, ITA, NED, RUS, SUI, SWE, UKR, USA.
Men: BEL, BLR, BUL, CAN, CHN, FRA, GER, ITA, JPN, ROM, SWE, USA
Pairs: BUL, CAN, CHN, EST, FRA, GER, POL, RUS, SVK, UKR, USA, UZB
Dance: AZE, BUL, CAN, FRA, GBR, HUN, ISR, ITA, JPN, RUS, UKR, USA

Alternates are:
Ladies: JPN
Men: AUT
Pairs: SWE
Dance: GER

Go Watanabe and Kido!

Hockeyfan, thanks for the info about the judges. For the Slavic Conspiracy buffs, there is not much to fuel the fire in the ladies' and men's.

Dance, and especially pairs (with 8 judges from countries that could be called "Eastern bloc, plus France), -- look out!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Ah, Mathman, but you're forgetting the multi-competition deal scenarios:

Bulgaria has skin in the game for Dance, but none for pairs. GBR for Dance (kinda) but not for Ladies. France for Men (primary) and Dance (secondary, unless B/A don't go and they have a shot at bronze), but none for Ladies or Pairs. Hungary for Ladies, but not for Dance. Japan for Ladies and maybe Men (if Honda goes), but not for Dance. Ukraine probably for all three disciplines, but how important are Volosozhar/Morozov and/or Liashenko if Grushina/Goncharov could medal? The US in Men, Ladies, and Dance (if B/A compete), but not for pairs. Canada for Men and possibly Ladies (to set Rochette up for the post Slutskaya/Cohen/Kwan era), but not really in Pairs or Dance. Switzerland for Men, but not for Ladies. China for Pairs, but if Shen/Zhao could get an extra vote at the expense of Li, not for Men. Italy for Ladies and Dance, but not for Men. Germany for Men, but not for Pairs, especially since S/S can't skate because Savchenko's not a German citizen.

The nations who don't have contenders are Sweden, Netherlands, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Slovakia, Uzbekistan, Estonia, and Romania. And then whether Israel will care enough about Chait/Sakhnovsky is questionable.

Ladies: AUS, CAN, FRA, GBR, HUN, ITA, NED, RUS, SUI, SWE, UKR, USA.
Men: BEL, BLR, BUL, CAN, CHN, FRA, GER, ITA, JPN, ROM, SWE, USA
Pairs: BUL, CAN, CHN, EST, FRA, GER, POL, RUS, SVK, UKR, USA, UZB
Dance: AZE, BUL, CAN, FRA, GBR, HUN, ISR, ITA, JPN, RUS, UKR, USA