Japan International Challenge | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Japan International Challenge

soogar

Record Breaker
Having seen the rest of the programs, I think Miki is looking great. But WTF with Yoshie??? She was making such good ground with Weisiger and now it looks like she has totally regressed. She looked like a beginner skater the way she was flopping around on some of those moves.

Jeff reminds me a lot of Janet Lynn. They both have that angelic hair flying around as they skate and he looks so happy when he skates.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Having seen the rest of the programs, I think Miki is looking great. But WTF with Yoshie??? She was making such good ground with Weisiger and now it looks like she has totally regressed. She looked like a beginner skater the way she was flopping around on some of those moves.

Jeff reminds me a lot of Janet Lynn. They both have that angelic hair flying around as they skate and he looks so happy when he skates.

ITA on Yoshie... just seems like the Japanese ladies field is leaving her behind.

Interesting analogy with Jeff and Janet. Hmmm... I think I agree with you! If there is an X factor, I think Jeff has two.

DG

soogar

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
ITA on Yoshie... just seems like the Japanese ladies field is leaving her behind.

DG

I hope Yoshie can step it up. She's such a cutie and an amazing jumper. Her program seems kind of promising in that the music choice is very light and playful which suits Yoshie. It really ruins it for me that she can't maintain balance on a spiral and keep her back straight on a lot of the footwork. She's an elite level skater, she shouldn't be having those kinds of problems. She should have stayed with Audrey.

Thanks Soogar - Unfortunately, my slow computer takes it time downloading these skates. I did wait for Jeffrey and I'm glad I did. He looks ready enough at this stage to go for the podium in Torino. A beautiful routine (Wilson) with solid jump technique (Arutunian).

Those MIFs are second to none and he doesn't stop to pose and wait for the audience to applaud. He's a true masculine lyrical skater.

Joe

Johnny's program is another constant reminder of his ability to move his feet through the music without missing a beat. Of course, many posters will say he doesn't have a quad, but how many of the skaters who do have a quad can move their feet through an ENTIRE program? Buttle comes very close; Lambiel if he is on, definitely; and Eman, too. They are musical skaters first and quad skaters second. Pick you choice.

Back to Johnny. He's looking more mature and it shows in the skating. TT gave him a beautiful work, and that's the way he skates it.

If they don't win the Olys or even make the podium, I think one should just sit back and watch Johnny and Jeffrey and enjoy their beautiful skating.

Joe

Excidra2001

On the Ice
After watching Irina's program a few times and comparing it to her past Olympic programs, i've come to conclusion that she and her team are really taking a different approach to preparing for the Olympics this time around.
With SLC, her team prepared everything early and presented the finished product at her first competition(Goodwill Games 2001) she received thumbs up from all the judges for the program and after that, and in my opinion, she became stagnate in terms of developing the program and tweaking it as the season went on.

With Turino, I think they are preparing for it as the days go by. Irina performed a level one step-squence(SlSt1), while she could've easily done a level 2 or work to achieve a level 3. Last season her team was on top of everything COP, this season they are allowing Irina to perform some easy elements in competition that make you say, huh, but I thought they knew that was level one. Irina definitely performed an easier version of her LP in Japan. They'll definitely add some more difficult elements by the time COC rolls around, as she's competing against Kwan for the first time in the Olympic season and Shizuka again.
Irina's program is work in progress and I think thats how her team likes it, keep her busy with program, and keep tweaking it just to get it right as the season goes on.

emma

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Johnny's program is another constant reminder of his ability to move his feet through the music without missing a beat. Of course, many posters will say he doesn't have a quad, but how many of the skaters who do have a quad can move their feet through an ENTIRE program? Buttle comes very close; Lambiel if he is on, definitely; and Eman, too. They are musical skaters first and quad skaters second. Pick you choice.

Back to Johnny. He's looking more mature and it shows in the skating. TT gave him a beautiful work, and that's the way he skates it.

If they don't win the Olys or even make the podium, I think one should just sit back and watch Johnny and Jeffrey and enjoy their beautiful skating.

Joe

I couldn't agree more...I was surprised by his placing/errors but when I saw the program I saw those amazing qualities you point out...and he does also have wonderful jumps/jump technique (just without a quad and with some errors this time)...I can't wait to seem the next outing of this program.

curious

Final Flight
Excidra2001 said:
After watching Irina's program a few times and comparing it to her past Olympic programs, i've come to conclusion that she and her team are really taking a different approach to preparing for the Olympics this time around.
With SLC, her team prepared everything early and presented the finished product at her first competition(Goodwill Games 2001) she received thumbs up from all the judges for the program and after that, and in my opinion, she became stagnate in terms of developing the program and tweaking it as the season went on.

With Turino, I think they are preparing for it as the days go by. Irina performed a level one step-squence(SlSt1), while she could've easily done a level 2 or work to achieve a level 3. Last season her team was on top of everything COP, this season they are allowing Irina to perform some easy elements in competition that make you say, huh, but I thought they knew that was level one. Irina definitely performed an easier version of her LP in Japan. They'll definitely add some more difficult elements by the time COC rolls around, as she's competing against Kwan for the first time in the Olympic season and Shizuka again.
Irina's program is work in progress and I think thats how her team likes it, keep her busy with program, and keep tweaking it just to get it right as the season goes on.

Irina does not have to prove herself to the judges like Shizuka so she won't go all out in early comps :biggrin:

Irina and Shizuka

For me, it was standard Irina. Nothing new but she did do a nice spiral which I was happy to see and she did an open fan which also was nice. I believe she has been working on her extensions. (Sasha's flexibility is a threat.)

Her program is the same as last year, basically. Lots of tricks, Not much in the way of moves in field, plenty of crossovers and ok footwork. Some of the jumps in combo looked cheated on ice before takeoff. Irina's program needs something personal from her. It's static, for me.

Shizuka skated super. Triple combo, Two I spins (one in combo); 2 bielmans spins; bielman spiral and what I saw that caught my eye was a back outside spiral holding blade with one hand, and a quiet change edge into a back inside spiral still holding on to one skate Not easy and very attractive.

The program is quite lovely and flows throughout. Her nerves were completely in her control and she looked determined and very competitive.

This to me is not a real championship so I did not think of who won the prize. I was looking to see how well prepared the skaters are for the real competitions coming up. I saw more than I expected.

Joe

Last edited:

Kuchana

On the Ice
I'll be honest and say I hate Irina's choice of music. I think it's a poor decision IMO because to me it lacked variety. There was no highs or lows except at the very end. Plus, the music is supposed to be flamenco style but it didn't project itself to be like that at all. I know this is the beginning of the season but I'm very disappointed by the music. I'd rather see Irina bring back Tosca than keep this music.

Shiz's on the other hand was much more interesting and has more potential IMO to develop into a challenging program for OG.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I too really liked Shiz's program. She's gotta work on those tripples though. Her 3/3 was downgraded to 3/2. I'd have to watch the tapes again for the 2L and 2S that came later in her program - not sure if she attempted tripples that were downgraded, or if she doubled out.

It's early yet - so hopefully this will be fixed before the peak of the season.

I still think Miki's program was a big highlight for me of the videos I saw of the ladies. This new softer look has some people going "bleh" and others going "yeah." I'm on the yeah side!! I hope she stays in the game for 2010.

DG

Lucy25

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
For me, it was standard Irina. Nothing new but she did do a nice spiral which I was happy to see and she did an open fan which also was nice. I believe she has been working on her extensions. (Sasha's flexibility is a threat.)

Her program is the same as last year, basically. Lots of tricks, Not much in the way of moves in field, plenty of crossovers and ok footwork. Some of the jumps in combo looked cheated on ice before takeoff. Irina's program needs something personal from her. It's static, for me.

Shizuka skated super. Triple combo, Two I spins (one in combo); 2 bielmans spins; bielman spiral and what I saw that caught my eye was a back outside spiral holding blade with one hand, and a quiet change edge into a back inside spiral still holding on to one skate Not easy and very attractive.

The program is quite lovely and flows throughout. Her nerves were completely in her control and she looked determined and very competitive.
Joe
I agree with all of this. I also just downloaded Miki's program and I have to say that it is one of the most boring programs I have ever seen. The music is zzzzzzzzzz.... Her spins and spirals are atrocious. I know it is early in the year and I do see some improvements from last year, but I think she has a long way to go yet. Although as much as I hate the I-spin, her entry into it looked incredibly easy; much nicer on the eye than anyone I've seen do this spin (you have to ignore the bent spinning leg).