Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 280 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I think he may go to 4CC to try 3 quads, I don't think it would be the best idea to go to worlds and try 3 quads for the first time :biggrin:

Okay... Stupid question then maybe, but is that actually up to him? If he does well enough for Worlds, is he allowed to go to 4CC as well? Or is it up to the Japanese skating federation to say, No you cannot go to 4CC because we need that spot to give to someone who needs the experience more (say, numbers 4,5,6 at nationals).

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Okay... Stupid question then maybe, but is that actually up to him? If he does well enough for Worlds, is he allowed to go to 4CC as well? Or is it up to the Japanese skating federation to say, No you cannot go to 4CC because we need that spot to give to someone who needs the experience more (say, numbers 4,5,6 at nationals).

good question, i have no idea

he still don't have 4CC title :biggrin:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker

at 2013 he went to both 4CC and worlds, last year kanako went to olympics, 4CC and worlds so there is nothing against it i suppose, it might be skater's decision not to go even if they are selected, yuna didnt go to 4CC at 2009-2010 even if KSU insisted her to but she choose to train for olympics, but it might not be same for every federation

Last edited:

Kalina

On the Ice

What we know is that the teams get announced by the federation after Nationals, but we don't know if there's a discussion with the skaters before or if the selection is done behind closed doors by JSF with the skater being in the dark until later. There was word that last season they asked Daisuke if he would recover before the Olympics before giving him the spot, but I don't remember if this was confirmed and anyway it was the Olympics, so it could be different for 'regular seasons'.

The fact of 'doing well enough for Worlds' for him was, anyway, a moot point before and even more of a moot point now. Yuzuru technically could be selected for the Worlds team already by virtue of being the highest placer at the GPF of all japanese skaters, which is one of the criteria for selection -- he could even place off the podium at Nationals and still make it. There is also a new criteria for selection that was introduced last summer, that says that if a skater ends up not meeting the criteria for selection because of an injury that occurred during the early part of the season, that JSF can select this skater anyway if he or she has been on the Worlds podium in the past. So considering that Yuzuru is the top male skater right now in Japan, not to mention the current Olympic and World champion, I'm pretty sure that even if he hadn't been able to qualify to the final, even if because of his injury he had ended up not being ready for Nationals thus bombing there or skipping it, he would have been selected anyway.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info all, I guess it's not as clear cut as I thought it would be, grin. I am sure we will see him at Worlds, too, but would love for him to skate at 4CC, too!

jace93

On the Ice

It's up to the federation, but probably the skater opinions will have some influences... normally (unless there is some extraordinary circumstance ie 2013 4cc where held in Japan, 2014 where extremely close to the Olympics) the national champion, the silver medalist and another skater up to the 5th ranked skater get to compete at 4cc at the four continents... if I remeber correctly its pretty rare for the broze medalist, but I don't think there is a true certainty...

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
What we know is that the teams get announced by the federation after Nationals, but we don't know if there's a discussion with the skaters before or if the selection is done behind closed doors by JSF with the skater being in the dark until later. There was word that last season they asked Daisuke if he would recover before the Olympics before giving him the spot, but I don't remember if this was confirmed and anyway it was the Olympics, so it could be different for 'regular seasons'.

The fact of 'doing well enough for Worlds' for him was, anyway, a moot point before and even more of a moot point now. Yuzuru technically could be selected for the Worlds team already by virtue of being the highest placer at the GPF of all japanese skaters, which is one of the criteria for selection -- he could even place off the podium at Nationals and still make it. There is also a new criteria for selection that was introduced last summer, that says that if a skater ends up not meeting the criteria for selection because of an injury that occurred during the early part of the season, that JSF can select this skater anyway if he or she has been on the Worlds podium in the past. So considering that Yuzuru is the top male skater right now in Japan, not to mention the current Olympic and World champion, I'm pretty sure that even if he hadn't been able to qualify to the final, even if because of his injury he had ended up not being ready for Nationals thus bombing there or skipping it, he would have been selected anyway.

This is true. He already qualified for the world team selections even before the GPF win.
1) He is currently #1 on the ISU World Standings
2) He was the winner of last years WC (and Olym)

Now he has hit 2 more criteria's needed to be selected for the World Team
1) Winner of the GPF
2) ISU highest score of the season.

So even if he bombs nationals (like finish 5th and below) and gets put on the team, that decision would be completely justified under the JSU rules.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Reflecting back on the events of this weekend, it is evident to me that this was not "just another" GPF for Yuzuru. I can see why he gave every ounce of everything he had just for the chance to be a part of it. For him and Javi to be able to share it and celebrate together was truly priceless.
In just the past 48 hours, he quieted his critics, calmed the worriers, boosted his confidence, and provided us three incredible, unforgettable performances. I cannot watch them enough, and each time it's all brand new again.
As tragic as the events of COC, I think it would have been more tragic for him not to have had this Grand Prix final experience, to have to watch from afar and wonder what could have been. And just to think that we came within 0.15 points of that actually happening. I am truly thankful that he does not have to feel that type of regret.
Yuzuru asked after NHK for his fans to continue to support him, and so that is what I set to do. Sometimes as a fan living on the other side of the world, I wonder what I can really do to show support. So I generated every ounce of positive energy that I could muster and aimed it directly his way, I calmed my own nerves, and then I watched him skate...and then I cried and cheered!!! and cried some more. I'm certain all of his other fans did as well, and I really think that he felt our spirits, and it helped him to skate well and to win!
Now he can go into Japanese Nationals confident and relaxed and focus on achieving what he considers to be "perfect" because he is already perfect in my eyes.
For me, I will just continue to watch and wish him well along the way.
Three cheers for Yuzuru!!! and Javi too!

CrystalClear, that was very well said and I couldn't agree with you more. I feel the same way living in the U.S., loving him from afar, and feeling sad that he is always performing in Asia and not here. However, after watching the final on IceNetwork (thank goodness the feed didn't freeze!) I have decided I will be in Boston in 2016 for Worlds, regardless of the ticket cost! I just cannot let the opportunity to see the greatest skater of all time pass me by. How many of you will join me? :popcorn:

His ex was nice, as always. But I do hope in the next season he has a more upbeat and fun ex to skate to. I actually miss seeing him let loose, like the Change or Somebody to love exhibitions. They were entertaining.

Yes! I much prefer Change to Time Traveler and really love him in black jeans and a T shirt as opposed to blue ruffles. :laugh:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
CrystalClear, that was very well said and I couldn't agree with you more. I feel the same way living in the U.S., loving him from afar, and feeling sad that he is always performing in Asia and not here. However, after watching the final on IceNetwork (thank goodness the feed didn't freeze!) I have decided I will be in Boston in 2016 for Worlds, regardless of the ticket cost! I just cannot let the opportunity to see the greatest skater of all time pass me by. How many of you will join me? :popcorn:

Yes! I much prefer Change to Time Traveler and really love him in black jeans and a T shirt as opposed to blue ruffles. :laugh:

I will go only if the men's events fall on a friday and saturday and if I can make a schedule for my Spring 2016 semester classes that can work out with me going. It's a good thing that Boston is only a 1 1/2 hour flight from the nearest airport to me.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

I'm definitely planning to go!

Wo|flax

Final Flight
Last edited:

owl

On the Ice
Hello! Relatively new figure skating fan here ^^
Before last season, I was one of those people who only watched figure skating during the Olympics and a couple of WC (sorry, sorry, I know) and then I found this website and decided to join :cool:
Anyways, I'm also super excited for Worlds in 2016, especially since Boston is only a 4/5 hr drive from where I'll be going to school!
It's nice meeting you guys :)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Hello! Relatively new figure skating fan here ^^
Before last season, I was one of those people who only watched figure skating during the Olympics and a couple of WC (sorry, sorry, I know) and then I found this website and decided to join :cool:
Anyways, I'm also super excited for Worlds in 2016, especially since Boston is only a 4/5 hr drive from where I'll be going to school!
It's nice meeting you guys :)

Welcome! :)