How things work: figure skating - sport, living intrigue and deceit | Golden Skate

How things work: figure skating - sport, living intrigue and deceit

Status
Not open for further replies.

witcher

Match Penalty
Very interesting and spicy insider article from Russian Eurosport website:
"Участница чемпионатов мира и Европы анонимно рассказала Eurosport.ru о виде спорта, живущем интригами и обманом."
"Participant in World and European Championships anonymously told Eurosport.ru of sport, living intrigue and deceit." :shocked:

http://www.eurosport.ru/figure-skating/story_sto4617155.shtml

Google translation is far from perfect, but there is some crazy stuff inside: spying and intriguing parents, bully coaches, needles in the boots, cheating weigh-ins, locker-room wars, 15y olds in psychiatric hospitals, money, Plushenko :biggrin:, etc..

If someone has translated it already, please provide the link, thx! :popcorn:

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
I read that a week ago and it seemed to be mostly nonsense. It is pretty funny though.

witcher

Match Penalty
Finished reading google translation. Wow. :shocked:
That's one scumbag article, tabloid stuff at it's best, I'm very surprised Eurosport agreed to put it on the website. Blah. :disapp:

Manitou

Medalist
It's everywhere where there are kids involved in a highly competitve activity. Soccer moms in the US are not even a tiny bit better. The "Dance Moms" TV show might be a bit staged, but the reality is not really far off.
I went through this toxic hell with all my kids and now I am glad it's over.
Look: the Eteri's group alone is more competitive than the entire US skating combined. What do you expect then?

Finished reading google translation. Wow. :shocked:
That's one scumbag article, tabloid stuff at it's best, I'm very surprised Eurosport agreed to put it on the website. Blah. :disapp:

It's not tabloid stuff. It's a reality in any competitve soccer, swimming, dance, gymnastic, etc, kids club in the US.

Last edited:

witcher

Match Penalty
It's everywhere where there are kids involved in a highly competitve activity. Soccer moms in the US are not even a tiny bit better. The "Dance Moms" TV show might be a bit staged, but the reality is not really far off.
I went through this toxic hell with all my kids and now I am glad it's over.
Look: the Eteri's group alone is more competitive than the entire US skating combined. What do you expect then?
What are you saying? That some coach or parent had pushed Medvedeva, Lipnitskaya or Sakhanovich head against the wall, pulled them by hair in the air during practices or verbally abused them in locker room?

It's not tabloid stuff. It's a reality in any competitve soccer, swimming, dance, gymnastic, etc, kids club in the US.
Divagating over athlete's sexlife or orientation is tabloid stuff for me.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
A disgusting interview. Even if 90% is correct the remaining 10% nonsense like: "Adelina is an angel - Yulia is a cursing monster, it is sex and alcohol everywhere, there are many gays in FS but not in Russia because the Russians are homophobic, etc." leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. She tells names but remains anonymous - scared about court litigations? In the comments the basic guess was unless it is an outright hoax, the interview was given by Yana Khokhlova.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Very interesting and spicy insider article from Russian Eurosport website:
"Участница чемпионатов мира и Европы анонимно рассказала Eurosport.ru о виде спорта, живущем интригами и обманом."
"Participant in World and European Championships anonymously told Eurosport.ru of sport, living intrigue and deceit." :shocked:

http://www.eurosport.ru/figure-skating/story_sto4617155.shtml

Google translation is far from perfect, but there is some crazy stuff inside: spying and intriguing parents, bully coaches, needles in the boots, cheating weigh-ins, locker-room wars, 15y olds in psychiatric hospitals, money, Plushenko :biggrin:, etc..

If someone has translated it already, please provide the link, thx! :popcorn:

And Yulia :biggrin: etc..

plushyta

On the Ice
the entire article to me is more disgusting, than anything which any mentioned person from these tabloid story did it :slink:

Last edited:

witcher

Match Penalty
I have created this thread, because I thought it's some gossip article, spicy, but created in good tone.
If I'd known the nature of it, I wouldn't have post it. Sorry guys. :scowl:

A disgusting interview. Even if 90% is correct the remaining 10% nonsense
I really, REALLY hope 90% of it is not correct... :hopelessness:

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
I think big chunks of it are based on the truth. But as it happens with gossips, even if they are based on truth, everyone adds a bit and the final outcome is not the truth any more. If it wasn't at least partially truth, why so many official people connected with Russian skating would be commenting on that?

Why would the interview 'has to' be made by Yana Khokhlova? You are unhappy that you don't know who posted it, but by guessing you may be spreading another gossip and smearing a name of possibly innocent person. Besides, Vaitsechovskaya wrote something about the poster being talented skater in juniors but not successful in seniors and therefore bitter. Khokhlova was pretty successful in seniors, considering that she has bronze at worlds and twice bronze and once gold at Europeans. I don't think she fits the description.

witcher

Match Penalty
I think big chunks of it are based on the truth. But as it happens with gossips, even if they are based on truth, everyone adds a bit and the final outcome is not the truth any more. If it wasn't at least partially truth, why so many official people connected with Russian skating would be commenting on that?
They did??? :shocked:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Why would the interview 'has to' be made by Yana Khokhlova? You are unhappy that you don't know who posted it, but by guessing you may be spreading another gossip and smearing a name of possibly innocent person.

If it were referred to me I just said that there were several comments "identifying the writer" based on: she mentioned the partner, hence, she is not from singles. She mentioned Zhulin, and she had a lot of interactions with Johnny Weir. These three "data points" resulted in the hypothesis. Frankly speaking, I did not follow FS when Yana Khokhlova skated so I don't have idea who she is in the first place. Of course, it is absolutely possible that she has nothing to do with this and as I said it may be a hoax same as yet uknown "Russian expert" who told a French magazine that the Russians agred with the Americans that we get ladies and they will get dance in Sochi.

adelia

Record Breaker
Most of it is probably true. Some parts are no doubt embellished/made-up. But by and large it does not surprise me.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Most of it is probably true. Some parts are no doubt embellished/made-up. But by and large it does not surprise me.

Yeah I'm not sure what part everyone thinks is so scandalous. Breaking news: skating is expensive and skaters are on restricted diets.

Some of it also checks out--we know certain Russian skaters have had alcohol issues so the fact that it continues to be an issue doesn't surprise me at all. And I'm pretty sure we ALL know who the Russian skater dating her coach was.

Rumors and forums go hand-in-hand.

anyanka

Record Breaker
So we have allegations of alcoholism, sexual intrigue, closeted homosexuality, dietary issues and eating disorders, political maneuvering, hysterical parental control, personality conflicts, financial issues ...

... stop me if I'm wrong, but hasn't this been the issue in the sport for the last half-century or so?

Nothing has changed, business as usual.

Although that tidbit about Adelina being angelic and Yulia cursing like a sailor is quite the little piece of gossip...

hanca

Record Breaker
If it were referred to me I just said that there were several comments "identifying the writer" based on: she mentioned the partner, hence, she is not from singles. She mentioned Zhulin, and she had a lot of interactions with Johnny Weir. These three "data points" resulted in the hypothesis. Frankly speaking, I did not follow FS when Yana Khokhlova skated so I don't have idea who she is in the first place. Of course, it is absolutely possible that she has nothing to do with this and as I said it may be a hoax same as yet uknown "Russian expert" who told a French magazine that the Russians agred with the Americans that we get ladies and they will get dance in Sochi.

Yes, I was referring to you. The criteria, although specific, can apply to a large number of people.

Zhulin coaches (or coached recently):
Bobrova
Monko
Alisa Agafonova
Tiffany Zagorski
Valeria Zenkova
Alexandra Nazarova
Eva Khatchaturian
Alexandra Plentneva
Adelina Galiavieva
Ekaterina Lautova
Kristina Baklanova

And more in the past he coached:
Tatiana Navka
Natalia Mitiushina
Angelina Kabisheva
Natalia Mikhailova
Anastasia Platonova
Elena Ilynikh
Natali Peshalat
Xenia Korobkova
Julia Zlobnina
Valeria Loseva
Elizaveta Tretiakova
Xenia Pecherkina
Olga Yakushina

He also made program for Ovcharova.

Unfortunately it doesn't list with whom he worked on shows.

Now if we decide to believe that the skater really has been to Europeans/worlds, that would narrow the list only to Ilinykh (unlikely to be the interviewee, considering what the person said about a skater living with a coach), Zlobina, Bobrova, Pechalat, Navka and Agafonova. This list still unfortunately excludes those who worked with Zhulin on a show, rather than coach/student relationship.

If we are going to believe the person who posted that the interviewee is a bitter skater who was talented as a junior but not that great as a senior, that will again reduce the list somehow.

So as you see, there is still plenty of candidates and nothing indicates that it has to be this skater rather than that skater who provided this interview. On one side you appear to be disgusted by the interview, but on the other had you do even dirtier job - you are spreading gossip about one particular skater by naming her, while you are guessing that it may be her. If you knew for certain, that would be another matter, but guessing - well done, you can really be proud of yourself!

anyanka

Record Breaker
So as you see, there is still plenty of candidates and nothing indicates that it has to be this skater rather than that skater who provided this interview. On one side you appear to be disgusted by the interview, but on the other had you do even dirtier job - you are spreading gossip about one particular skater by naming her, while you are guessing that it may be her. If you knew for certain, that would be another matter, but guessing - well done, you can really be proud of yourself!

I believe this is what the gossip websites (Perez Hilton, Ted Casablanca, TMZ, etc.) refer to as "the blind item" when they want to post stuff about celebs by removing the names and masking parts of the story, and having the readers guess the answer. (Yes I read too many gossip websites to count .... :slink: )

Status
Not open for further replies.