Yuzuru Hanyu: 2015-16 Season | Page 232 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Yusu is going to appear in ANAN! I can't handle this... ANAN always manages to bring out the sexiest side of their models.

For some laughs....I saw tweets saying Yuzu's going to be on the cover of the 12/09 issue of An-An....when he's finally 21 lol :scard8: I highly doubt that it'll be anything risque but it's just funny because some people are freaking out over it, mainly because they waited till after his 21st birthday passed :laugh:

Nvm, I see skatefan22 beat me to it haha
you know that this info means nothing to people like me who aren't familiar with the magazine, don't you :laugh: but that's why God invented Google...... I can see why some people have, ehrm.... "expectations" :laugh2:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
you know that this info means nothing to people like me who aren't familiar with the magazine, don't you :laugh: but that's why God invented Google...... I can see why some people have, ehrm.... "expectations" :laugh2:

I was going to link some examples but I assumed that those photos would likely break some kind of rule on this forum :devil:

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Just watched the Eurosport recording of Yuzuru's FS with Dutch audio. Some of the comments:

4S wham, not a cent of pain (= a Dutch expression meaning it looks effortless)
and bam!, 4T, what a start.
3F
oh, third quad in the kur, hand on the ice
3A, 1 T, should have been 3T
and another 3A, oiler, 3S
3 Rittberger (Loop, I think, but I'm more familiar with the Dutch word)
3L, pretty big fall

Yuzuru Hanyu, winning from himself, just like Tuktamysheva.
Oh, what an incredibly difficult program this is, with 5 jump passes in the second half [...]
Wow, it wasn't all perfect yet, and we have seen him skate worse free skates after a good short, and this weekend it's the other way around.
Started very strong.
Now, is he skating to the gold? Well, with this kind of score, that may very well be the case.

The Dutch commentators are usually the same two people, inc. Jeroen Prins (he also judges at ISU skating events), and a lady who used to be a figure skater, I think. They're not exactly Hanyu fans, lol, they always feel a bit too pro-European skaters for my liking. In recent years I've taken to watching Eurosport with the British commentary instead.

I'm not sure if I have the SP somewhere still in Dutch, but if I do, I probably dare not watch it again, anyway. :hopelessness:

Last edited:

firal

Record Breaker
I won't breath too quickly yet since Anan photo are not all risqué; in fact I think only one issue per year is of that theme, the other ones are just pretty, handsome, wholesome face. ;) They do usually have a theme though, I wonder if it's like an athlete special. " hot guys in sports" ? " best smiles of athletes"? The possibility is endless!

padme21

On the Ice
Dave from TSL brought up an interesting topic. So I'm going to ask a question to you guys based on that. Do you think Hanyu is more of an athlete or a skater?
In my personal opinion he's both! The best of both worlds!

Ophelia

Record Breaker
As of now, athlete more than skater. 60/40 split, or 65/35. His primary focus is on upping the TES, secondary is PCS.

FTnoona

Final Flight
I think in the SP he is a good mix of both athlete and skater, but in the FS he is more on the athlete side, focusing on his 3 quads.

Lollols

Rinkside
For me he would be like 60/40 which is actually not bad even if he focus more on the technical side now. (But... isn't a figure skater an athlete? :slink: Nevermind, I know what you mean :biggrin:)

kiches

Final Flight
I think in the SP he is a good mix of both athlete and skater, but in the FS he is more on the athlete side, focusing on his 3 quads.

Agreed here, in fact I'd actually say he's more of a "skater" in the SP than he is an athlete which is probably what has caused the technical issues we've seen recently in the short. He's just very in-tune with the music and I think it messes up his jump preparation for the 4T and 3Lz+3T sometimes.

Most times I think he is an excellent balance of both, which is why he's so magnetic, but I do think his FS at Skate Canada highlighted his athletic side more. His spirit as an athlete really draws me in, I think one time he said he's a lot like a manga character in a sports manga and I think it's a very apt comparison (I love sports manga). Although I'm not sure these two facets can be considered two mutually exclusive things, if you're a skater you're part athlete. It's when you're technique and skill are so good that the you don't even notice the athleticism required that something truly special happens.

Last edited:

Lollols

Rinkside
Agreed here, in fact I'd actually say he's more of a "skater" in the SP than he is an athlete which is probably what has caused the technical issues we've seen recently in the short. He's just very in-tune with the music and I think it messes up his jump preparation for the 4T and 3Lz+3T sometimes.

Most times I think he is an excellent balance of both, which is why he's so magnetic, but I do think his FS at Skate Canada highlighted his athletic side more. His spirit as an athlete really draws me in, I think one time he said he's a lot like a manga character in a sports manga and I think it's a very apt comparison (I love sports manga). Although I'm not sure these two facets can be considered two mutually exclusive things, if you're a skater you're part athlete. It's when you're technique and skill are so good that the you don't even notice the athleticism required that something truly special happens.

Thank you! I knew I wasn't alone with what I was thinking. I can't separate them because all skaters are athletes. What skills they decide to focus on and if they find a good balance between them is what makes them different.

Lollols

Rinkside
Guys I saw in an insta account a pic, or maybe a video screencap where Yuzu was talking with Alexei Mishin, did any of you see it? (If someone posted something about this already, sorry it's just the thread moves really fast and I didn't notice :hopelessness:)

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Guys I saw in an insta account a pic, or maybe a video screencap where Yuzu was talking with Alexei Mishin, did any of you see it? (If someone posted something about this already, sorry it's just the thread moves really fast and I didn't notice :hopelessness:)
oh come on, that was only on page 1950. How could anyone miss that? :dance2:

Really, don't worry about it, this happens to all of us, like, all the time ;)

Mishin said something like this to Yuzuru:
"Sometimes things don't go as we want. But I trust you, I believe in you. You are the best, go and collect those points."

Oh my god such words from the best jump coach of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE_e66xh-Dk

ethereal

Rinkside
in reply to the athlete vs skater question, i personally think yuzuru is a good balance of both an athlete and skater. we all know you need your jumps to be all there to even have a chance to reach the podium these days. you HAVE to be on your top athletic game as a skater and when yuzuru is completely 100% turned on , he is really the #1 athletic skater of this generation. he has the capacity to actually attempt and land the most difficult jumps with the weirdest, unfounded entries. he's a true athlete.

but no one can deny that his artistry is also there. I mean the requiem between heaven in earth gala performance says it all, doesn't it? his ability to portray those types of delicate fragile emotions is evident. And he's a skater that uses every inch of his body in his expression, from the placement of his hands to his spin positions. His interpretation and musicality is impeccable. His skating says something and makes you feel something. Obviously he's going to bring his athlete side to competition, but he is also a skater at heart.

Obviously everyone will have their own opinion on this, but for me, there is a difference between seeing someone give a nice skate like, say, chan, and seeing someone give an emotional and chill inducing skate like Yuzuru has the capacity to do.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally got the chance to watch the FP on DailyMotion. It was SOOOOOOO good. Still needs some work. But I bet it'll be awesome by the time the 2nd half of the season happens.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I think that athleticism is the aspect in which he stands out the most for. No one tries to do what he does, and still add some elements here and there to make it even more difficult like the entrances.

However I think Yuzu is also an artist, just not the same kind of artist that Patrick is, who is the kind to leave you in awe with his perfect skating. An artist must feel, must be able to convey emotions, and Yuzuru is a very emotional and engaging skater. He gets so immersed in his performances, that you can't help but feel drawn towards it. Sure, it's not what is conventionally acknowledged as an artist, but he still performs with his heart on his sleeve. He pulls you in, not with some gorgeous, perfectly refined program, but with his raw passion at that moment.
Just my opinion, of course.

Interesting how he can look tall here or next to most of TJ, but then he stands next to Nam or Alex and the illusion's gone :biggrin:

FTnoona

Final Flight
For some laughs....I saw tweets saying Yuzu's going to be on the cover of the 12/09 issue of An-An....when he's finally 21 lol :scard8: I highly doubt that it'll be anything risque but it's just funny because some people are freaking out over it, mainly because they waited till after his 21st birthday passed :laugh:

Nvm, I see skatefan22 beat me to it haha

If this is for real, imagine Hanyu getting his smoldering model face on :cool14:
Or it might be smexy Pooh bear themed :gclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.