Yuzuru Hanyu: 2015-16 Season | Page 651 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

salchowx4

On the Ice
Another American here whose current male singles favorite is Yuzuru. I support our men (especially Max Aaron), but I don't pick favorites based on country.

I don't agree with the 'too wild' explanation even if it's true that Hanyu isn't totally refined. I know Johnny Weir brings that up in his commentary, but he doesn't speak for the USA, and I feel that the American audiences have generally been pretty good to Yuzuru. If it seems like the recent audience reaction wasn't as strong to Hanyu as it was to say Javi, I'd look at the kind of programs they're doing. Javier tends to do very crowd pleasing programs with music that is going to be instantly loved by the audience and that was especially true with his Frank Sinatra program in Boston. Not that Hanyu should be like Javier. He should stick to his sophisticated, intelligent programs that give you chills when performed well.

As for Canada, remember that their guy was expected to win the OGM and continue to dominate before Hanyu came along. It isn't right, but some people will never like Hanyu because of that. (And there were a ton of Canadians in the audience at worlds this year.) Still, that's a small minority and Hanyu has plenty of Canadian fans, so I don't really agree with that comment either.

danni

On the Ice
Hello everyone! I am new in this forum and this thread: and I signed
obviously because here I have found a lot of up-to-date news about Yuzuru
:).

Thank you for all your work of information and mostly for the
translation from Japanese (I am italian...).

Welcome to this international group of Yuzuru supporting fans! :ghug:

padme21

On the Ice
I'm also an American who loves Hanyu. Hanyu got me back in to figure skating after Kwan and Cohen. My parents love him too! He's the only male skater who makes my dad cry. My dad says no one skates like him.
I agree with what a previous poster stated, Javier gets more audience response because he skates to well known music and is a true showman. Look at Rika Hongo's Riverdance FS at worlds this year. The crowd went crazy. Americans love Riverdance. Javier is like a Broadway show fun and entertaining. Hanyu is like an artist who draws you in with each stroke of his blade across the ice. Both are brilliant.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I'm also an American who loves Hanyu. Hanyu got me back in to figure skating after Kwan and Cohen. My parents love him too! He's the only male skater who makes my dad cry. My dad says no one skates like him.
I agree with what a previous poster stated, Javier gets more audience response because he skates to well known music and is a true showman. Look at Rika Hongo's Riverdance FS at worlds this year. The crowd went crazy. Americans love Riverdance. Javier is like a Broadway show fun and entertaining. Hanyu is like an artist who draws you in with each stroke of his blade across the ice. Both are brilliant.

I also think it helps that Javi had the skate of his life. Yuzu wasn't on top of his game. That does a lot for atmosphere. Yuzu's program is intense. Javi's is more fun loving. And considering the people making mistakes before Javi came out, it was the perfect storm for people to cheer. Even I was ecstatic. It was hard not to get caught up in the moment even while being bummed for Yuzu.

liv

Record Breaker
I would also say that Yuzu does do well in Canada as well. His first GPF was in Quebec City and he dazzled there... and he did very well at World's in London in 2013, considering he'd been injured/ill just days before the event and had bombed the short. His long program got a standing ovation. His other competitions here have been at the very beginning of the season and he has always started slowly, which is no different than many other skaters. I doubt his early season competitions are less perfect because of the audience and more to do with the fact that they are early season.

My favourite skaters are usually not Canadian. I prefer skaters from many other countries and I will support who I like as opposed to doing so because of nationality. It's why I prefer Yuzu to Patrick, Kulik to Stojko, Gordeeva/Grinkov to Brasseur/Eisler etc... And as for competitions, if you skate well, I will support you even if you are not my favourite. You have to give credit where credit is due and recognize achievements.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I was browsing through the fan fests and here's a fun fact: Yuzuru's fan thread was apparently only the third fan thread created at this forum, after Yuna Kim's and one Melissa Bulanhagui's. Even before the powerhouses of that time like Daisuke Takahashi. Huh, who would have thought.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I was browsing through the fan fests and here's a fun fact: Yuzuru's fan thread was apparently only the third fan thread created at this forum, after Yuna Kim's and one Melissa Bulanhagui's. Even before the powerhouses of that time like Daisuke Takahashi. Huh, who would have thought.

I think it's interesting that Yuna's fan thread is like a tenth of the length as Yuzu's :laugh: But in terms of non-active skaters, hers is the only one that regularly has posts.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

cool fact :cool: these posts make me realize off season has really begun :laugh:

Katie J

On the Ice
He is very sensitive. He can feel the atmosphere in the arena right away. He often does well in some countries (Europe and Asia) and does poorly in some countries (almost always in the USA and Canada).
Hanyu feeling energy - if this energy carries him, relaxes him "good energy" or if this energy is demanding from him to show that he is the best "negative energy". Interesting thought.

Hanyu himself said he wasnt feeling good the days before...maybe there already was "negative energy". He had to fight hard at his SP ( his reaction at the end showed it) but in FS it was too much. For shure he will himself build an inner protection, a kind of umbrella protecting him.
Everyone going with a divining rod has to protect and clean himself from negative energy. If you dont do it, its slowly accumulating, giving a kind of self destroying energy, you could go on and on really powered but it ends with a blank in your head, utter exhaustion, a very bad headache and sickness.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm American and I went to worlds with a Japanese flag and Pooh ears. I didn't even have an American flag. Not that I don't support our guys, but I knew they wouldn't be low on it. And I'd really only support them for national pride. I think that applies to any skater fan of any country. I haven't been a fan of a male skater like this since Plushy's heyday!! I actually feel MORE invested in Yuzu actually. He's reaching Sasha Cohen levels. I also prefer the Japanese ladies (and Lipnitkaya when she's good) to the American ladies. I love the best skaters in this sport, not the best American ones. If they just so happen to be American then okay. I thought both Yuzu and Shoma received a lot of love from the crowd in Boston for instance even with their mistakes. Especially for Yuzu's SP I was told people were out of their seats before he was done. Yeah they supported the home team too but our guys actually did well for themselves and deserved it. They seemed to support anybody who was skating well.

I feel the same -- and I saw 2 people with Pooh ears at Worlds. I wonder if one of them was you! My favorite skater is Shoma, and I love Sui and Han for pairs. I cheer like crazy for any and all Americans, but I try to appreciate good skating. I was getting hoarse cheering for some of the Canadians, and I cheered like crazy for Yuzu's SP (which I absolutely LOVE).

Tomoco

Rinkside
The magazine will contain special features on Yuzuru and other Japanese star athletes born in the same year as Yuzuru like Ootani Shohei (baseball pitcher), Fujinami Shintaro (baseball pitcher), Hagino Kousuke (swimmer), Seto Daiya (swimmer), Takagi Miho (speedskater), and Miyashita Haruka (volleyball player). All these athletes belong to Yuzuru's age group, hence the term Hanyu/Yuzuru Generation (kinda reminds me of Matsuzaka Generation :laugh:). On a slight tangent, Seto Daiya also attends Waseda University and he respects Yuzuru as an athlete.

Love the cover :thumbsup:
Tvfan_1032594_2.jpg

Ootani called himself as "Hanyu Generation", when he was awarded alongside Yuzu at Big Sports Awards in January.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

kiches

Final Flight
HI everyone:

Aside from the results, Worlds was a fantastic experience. It was my 2nd time at Worlds....and here are some of my memorable moments.

https://sportymags.wordpress.com/2016/04/11/yuzuru-hanyu-2016-worlds-memorable-moments/

I ate inside North Station so many times I got sick of seeing the inside of that station by the end of my trip! I was buying fast food salads and apples whenever I could. Sounds like your experience was very similar to mine (down to the 4 AM wake up time to catch my flight). I remember the excitement I felt the second I spotted Yuzu made an early appearance at practice, and when he showed up in that t-shirt. It was a nice treat just as you said!

Danibellerika

Medalist
I feel the same -- and I saw 2 people with Pooh ears at Worlds. I wonder if one of them was you! My favorite skater is Shoma, and I love Sui and Han for pairs. I cheer like crazy for any and all Americans, but I try to appreciate good skating. I was getting hoarse cheering for some of the Canadians, and I cheered like crazy for Yuzu's SP (which I absolutely LOVE).

There were a couple of fans with front row seats. I wasn't one of them but we were on the same side. I actually saw them before from fan reports and when I saw the Pooh ears I ordered a pair right away to have them for the free when I got to Boston, lol. I was about 14 rows back from them. You can see me in the medal ceremony video toward the right in the red here lol:
https://youtu.be/6kZ7tRzXuMY?t=1m38s

I actually saw one girl with an entire Pooh Bear hat. Something like this:
http://images.shopmadeinchina.com/s...5C5ED9AE040007F0100286E/821/6736821_1.bak.jpg

but hers looked like even better quality lol. All I know is there was definitely no lack of Japanese flags. They were EVERYWHERE and they were waving proudly and not just by Japanese spectators either.

And I adore Shoma too. He's like my fave behind Yuzu. There was a collective "awwww" from the crowd when his teary face showed up on the jumbotron after his skate. I also LOVE Sui/Han for pairs. I was able to see them from the 2nd row for the short programs!!! I'm pretty sure I got on tv for the pairs shorts and I had the ears then, but I haven't been able to watch them back to back to spot myself lol. I know one pair stopped right in front of my area though.

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I ate inside North Station so many times I got sick of seeing the inside of that station by the end of my trip! I was buying fast food salads and apples whenever I could. Sounds like your experience was very similar to mine (down to the 4 AM wake up time to catch my flight). I remember the excitement I felt the second I spotted Yuzu made an early appearance at practice, and when he showed up in that t-shirt. It was a nice treat just as you said!

That food gets to you after awhile. Twice we ended up getting on the subway, going one stop, and going to get real food over at Faneuil Hall. Considering we barely saw the light of day in 4 days, it felt good to get away from the rink.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There were a couple of fans with front row seats. I wasn't one of them but we were on the same side. I actually saw them before from fan reports and when I saw the Pooh ears I ordered a pair right away to have them for the free when I got to Boston, lol. I was about 14 rows back from them. You can see me in the medal ceremony video toward the right in the red here lol:
https://youtu.be/6kZ7tRzXuMY?t=1m38s

I actually saw one girl with an entire Pooh Bear hat. Something like this:
http://images.shopmadeinchina.com/s...5C5ED9AE040007F0100286E/821/6736821_1.bak.jpg

but hers looked like even better quality lol. All I know is there was definitely no lack of Japanese flags. They were EVERYWHERE and they were waving proudly and not just by Japanese spectators either.

And I adore Shoma too. He's like my fave behind Yuzu. There was a collective "awwww" from the crowd when his teary face showed up on the jumbotron after his skate. I also LOVE Sui/Han for pairs. I was able to see them from the 2nd row for the short programs!!! I'm pretty sure I got on tv for the pairs shorts and I had the ears then, but I haven't been able to watch them back to back to spot myself lol. I know one pair stopped right in front of my area though.

Gotta love the ears! Great idea...I saw Shoma at Skate America in Milwaukee and was just totally captivated by his skating. Hope they invite him again this year. And I kept thinking "Who IS this Japanese firecracker??!!" The Japanese bring so much to the sport that I have no qualms about being an avid follower of Team Japan. Have already bought my Helsinki tickets. In the meantime, will be watching for the Pooh ears again!

Status
Not open for further replies.