Xiangning Li | Golden Skate

Xiangning Li

skatefan22

Medalist
Li Xiangning (李香凝 born May 11, 2000) is a Chinese figure skater. She is a 2016 Winter Youth Olympic champion in the team event and a four-time Chinese national senior medalist.

Born in an ordinary family, Xianging had not been able to get high quality training until season 2016-17. In 2016 summer, she was finally recruited by the Chinese National team and started training in Beijing coached by Xin Zhang. She has improved drastically ever since and became a sweet surprise to Chinese skating fans who have been waiting to see more talents in the ladies field.

Xiangning was placed 14th at World Championship 2017, her first senior worlds, earning China one precious spot in 2018 PyeongChang Olympics.

ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00014328.htm

Wikepedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Xiangning

Weibo: http://www.weibo.com/u/1431880312?refer_flag=1001030102_ (She didn't update her weibo too much though.)

Season 2016 - 17
World Championship SP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC8w8ncZ6h4
World Championship FS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKX8wiw-IBM

World Team Trophy FS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbfcknTUZk8

Four Continents FS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFEBbPCxbf4

Cup of China SP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FABljHvMNPY
Cup of China FS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggR2ajytomI

Last edited:

skatefan22

Medalist
Interview with Xiangning's mother:

Q: Who is Xiangning's idol?
A: Yuna Kim. When she was a kid, I bought her a book about Yuna and she read it through. Xiangxiang (her nick name) also likes Han Yan very much. She admires his skating skills and speed into jumps. Another reason is probably that she is the only child in the family and she has been longing to have an older brother. Also, Dan Fang has great influence on her. I took her to watch a National competition where she was deeply touched by Dan Fang's performance. She told me "Mom, I want to be like Sister Dan Fang, wearing beautiful dresses and skating on the ice, being loved by more people."

Q: What does she in leisure time?
She likes watching animation. Her favorite character is little Huihui (from Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf which is a animation for children) because Huihui has a gentle and kind heart. Although she is 16 years old already, she still loves watching such animations, never growing up. But she seems to begin watching some Japanese manga recently.

Q: What did she say that impressed you the most?
When she was a kid, she had a chance to meet Nan Song who was wearing a National team uniform. She was drawn by the National flag and "CHINA" logo on that uniform. She found that uniform so beautiful. I told her, only National team members can wear that uniform. When you wear it, you represent the best athlete of China. She said: "I will work hard and one day wear a uniform that has the National flag, represent the country in competitions and earn glory for the country."

Q: Did Xiangxiang ever cry in training or competitions?
Xiangxiang has never cried in training. But she is a sentimental child. Up to now, due to various reasons, she has switched coaches from coaches, altogether five of them. Every coach has great influence on her skating. She has deep affection towards every one of them. Every time we had to change coach, she cried because she didn't want to leave them. Ms. Chunling Zhang is her first coach. Coach Yanjin Shi is like her Mom. Coach Ming Xu led her into international competitions. And now she is training with Coach Xin Zhang in Beijing and she improved a lot. Coach Li Bao, although she has just taught Xiangxiang for a short period, she helped her do a beautiful Biellman and remind us to control weight during growth. Thanks to Coach Bao, Xiangxiang has been dealing with growth smoothly so far.

Last edited:

sublimeskating

Crouching Dreamer, Hidden Badass
On the Ice
thank you for creating this thread and posting all the information! :ghug:

xiangning is a beautiful new talent and i look forward to seeing her achievements! :)

skatefan22

Medalist
thank you for creating this thread and posting all the information! :ghug:

xiangning is a beautiful new talent and i look forward to seeing her achievements! :)

Thanks! What I am impressed by this girl is that she is so calm on the ice, never getting nervous and just enjoying the moment. Seems like she doesn't think of scores or whatsoever. She skates with delight, does her best, and is pleased with what judges give her.

sublimeskating

On the Ice
Thanks! What I am impressed by this girl is that she is so calm on the ice, never getting nervous and just enjoying the moment. Seems like she doesn't think of scores or whatsoever. She skates with delight, does her best, and is pleased with what judges give her.

and that is something which is very impressive! especially for a competitor so young! :thumbsup:

what i love seeing is skaters who skate with feeling and show their delight and enjoy their skates. it's a very hard thing to do especially in competitions (because of the pressure, nerves, and stress), so seeing this in someone, especially so young, is just wonderful :love:

xiangning has really done her country proud and i think she has a bright future ahead!

Last edited:

skatefan22

Medalist
and that is something which is very impressive! especially for a competitor so young! :thumbsup:

what i love seeing is skaters who skate with feeling and show their delight and enjoy their skates. it's a very hard thing to do especially in competitions (because of the pressure, nerves, and stress), so seeing this in someone, especially so young, is just wonderful :love:

xiangning has really done her country proud and i think she has a bright future ahead!

Exactly. Delightful, calm, optimistic, and polite. Another good thing is that she is not into social media and that sort of things. She didn't even know what live video streaming is until Boyang showed her an APP of the kind on the mobile phone. I just feel that staying away from social media helps a skater to focus and never get bothered by any fan war.

sublimeskating

On the Ice
Exactly. Delightful, calm, optimistic, and polite. Another good thing is that she is not into social media and that sort of things. She didn't even know what live video streaming is until Boyang showed her an APP of the kind on the mobile phone. I just feel that staying away from social media helps a skater to focus and never get bothered by any fan war.

i absolutely agree with you!

there is SO MUCH DRAMA on social media, and i'm not even a celebrity or famous athlete and i'm just an ordinary person, but even i feel wary about social media

i think for skaters, who are already dealing with so much stress and pressure (physically and mentally), it's probably healthier for them to stay away from social media, which tends to blow up with rumors, fan wars, etc. etc.

i'm not saying social media is bad, but i think for skaters who are already so busy and under so much stress, being able to stay away from all the extra DRAMA is probably better for their mental health...

skatefan22

Medalist
i absolutely agree with you!

there is SO MUCH DRAMA on social media, and i'm not even a celebrity or famous athlete and i'm just an ordinary person, but even i feel wary about social media

i think for skaters, who are already dealing with so much stress and pressure (physically and mentally), it's probably healthier for them to stay away from social media, which tends to blow up with rumors, fan wars, etc. etc.

i'm not saying social media is bad, but i think for skaters who are already so busy and under so much stress, being able to stay away from all the extra DRAMA is probably better for their mental health...

Considering all the DRAMA in the Chinese ladies field all these years, I hope Xiangxiang continues to stay away from weibo. Just focus on skating. I have faith in her in having a fruitful and long competitive career.

icybear

Medalist
New 2017-18 programs announcement
LP-Raymonda, choreo by David Wilson
SP-Cinema Paradiso

kalee

On the Ice
Xiangxiang did pretty well at 4CC today, but why is she going back to 3-2s when she had a 3-3 last year? Hoping that she will get the 3-3 back, she has potential!

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I heard that Xiangning is going to try pairs as well as singles. Can anyone confirm.
https://k.sina.cn/article_213815211_0cbe8fab020006n1d.html

I read the English translate version of this article but it didn't make much sense....

yeah she is. I tried to paraphrase the section of the article about Xiangning doing both.

Chinese fed wants to increase pairs depth and field 3 pairs. The reason they want Xiangning is because she can land solo jumps consistently, which female pairs skaters often have trouble with (landing sbs). She can also do more difficult jumps. Also Xiangning wants to be top 10 in Beijing which will be very difficult (in singles), so doing pairs may allow for that.

Xiangning is considered to be the best Chinese ladies skater, so the fed was cautious in letting her do both. They also asked her before making the decision.

Regarding doing pairs, Xiangning said: She's willing to try and learn pairs skating and she hopes that she can develop more, improve her level/standard, and contribute to the country. She's still a beginner at pairs. She will do her best and work hard to improve her cooperation/chemistry with her partner and understand pairs as soon as possible. At the same time, she will also try her best to keep her competitive level in singles.

Zhao Hongbo said: Doing pairs won't hold up her singles training. In training before the season starts, the coaching staff will observe her in various ways and see if she's suitable for pairs. They don't know if she will compete in singles or pairs next season.

perigee

Spectator
In the pair skating event at Pyeongchang, Sui Wenjing/Han Cong and Yu Xiaoyu/Zhang Hao placed 2nd and 8th respectively. The Chinese skating association aims to win the gold medal in this event at the next Winter Olympics in Beijing, so they want to continue to strengthen the depth of the pairs field by having ladies skater Li Xiangning participate in both events as part of a daring experiment in their strategy.
At Pyeongchang, 17-year-old Xiangning was China's sole competitor in the ladies event and she placed 22nd.
Zhao Hongbo said there are two main reasons for wanting Xiangning to try pair skating. Firstly, some of China's current female pair skaters frequently make errors in their solo jumps, and this has affected their results in the last two Winter Olympics. Xiangning's jump movements in her triple lutz and other jumps have better potential for higher levels of difficulty, and her figure and weight are also more suitable, so if she were to join the field she would have a natural advantage. Secondly, going by current trends in the development of international ladies skating, it will be very difficult for Xiangning to place within the top 10 in Beijing in four years time. If she can make a breakthrough in the pairs event, she can also show the skills that she already possesses. Zhao hopes that with four years of hard work, her pairing will become one of China's top three pairs for the Beijing Olympics.
Xiangning is arguably China's best ladies skater at the present time, so the association has been very cautious about letting her compete in both events concurrently. Zhao has fully discussed his plans for Xiangning with her sports organisation and has also sought her own opinion on the matter.
During her interview with Xinhua News Agency, Xiangning said: 'I'm honoured to become Coach Zhao's student and willing to try and learn pair skating. I hope I will be able to grow even further, improve my level and strive to make a contribution for my country.'
Xiangning said she is still a beginner when it comes to pairs. She will try her best, work hard and increase her coordination with her partner and her understanding of pair skating as quickly as possible. At the same time, she will do her best to maintain her competitive level in singles.
Zhao Hongbo said that having Xiangning compete in both events is a bold move and they won't let it interfere with her singles training. During pre-season training, the coaching team will watch her closely to determine various factors, including changes in her skating capabilities, physical strength, weight, etc, and she will undergo a series of scientific tests before they finally assess her suitability to undertake pair skating. As to whether she will compete in ladies or in pairs during the upcoming season, there is as yet no decision.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Xiangning Li got two GP events, she got one ladies event (NHK) and one pairs event with Zhong Xie (SA).

It is very strange that they already got GP event even though they haven't even competed yet.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Xiangning Li got two GP events, she got one ladies event (NHK) and one pairs event with Zhong Xie (SA).

It is very strange that they already got GP event even though they haven't even competed yet.

Gao/Xie would've gotten a GP spot had they moved up to seniors this year and if they were still in partnership.
Since Xie's new partner is Li, I suppose she just took the place of Gao and thus, has this GP event with Xie.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Any news about her? She didn't participate in the Chinese Nationals (neither in Ladies nor the Pairs event). Is she injured? How is her partnership with Xie going?

Wombat1800

On the Ice
Any news about her? She didn't participate in the Chinese Nationals (neither in Ladies nor the Pairs event). Is she injured? How is her partnership with Xie going?

I think she's been injured. I'm pretty sure she competed once at a domestic pairs comp but that has been it this season