Who will make it to the JGP final? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who will make it to the JGP final?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well...

there are so many factors though...

13-14 year old girls are often at their peak while guys get there at 19-21... (if not later) after their years on JGP.

The girls are strong and stable... there is no denying of that but it doesn't make sense to compare these girs who haven't yet grown with guys in the middle of puberty.
Also, young guys are pushed to learn quads and triple axel early on... for instance, Conrad Orzel who is a good jumper is messing up big time focusing on quads this year.. he has been a disaster but in practice has landed all 5 quads (no axel of course)....

I also find girls to be better spinners, and guys are super clumsy spinning at that age... and barely get their levels, while girls are doing circus positions and bend their ways to level 4 much easier.

In the end, I think the level of the girls now compared to the level of the girls 5-10 years ago is AMAZING and it is very exciting but I wouldn't go and compare them to boys... because of course, if we were to ask the same out of both genders, and expect girls to jump 3a and quads, we would see them fall and pop just as much.. which is what is preventing the boys from getting good scores.

I am not sure why there is such a debate really... it doesn't serve anyone to compare apples to oranges.

tjb

Match Penalty
there's nothing to compare. this season's boys field is the worst i've ever seen. no one is really worth watching.
and the girls are simply astonishing. for me this juniors ladies season is much more interesting than seniors. though it's a pity that shcherbakova is injured. but i'm hoping she will be back at juniors worlds

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
They don't have their 2nd assignment yet but they will most likely replace Kuts/Mikhailov at JGP Croatia.

Then zero advantage for Konkina & Yakushev as it is the same event Shpilevaya & Smirnov and Lajoie & Lagha are signed up for. Of course, they could all be moved around, though I don't see a compelling reason to switch S&S and K&Y. (K&Y already had their advantage, when Russia yanked Shevchenko & Eremenko out of Austria, leaving Austria with no depth after Carreira & Ponomarenko). Because of that decision, whatever-rule-S&S broke on the twizzles, and the tighter scoring/calling at Riga, the Russian rankings are rather screwy at the moment. My guess is they'll sort themselves out.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plushenko recently http://fs-gossips.com/evgeni-plushenko-in-womens-skating-we-are-ahead-of-the-whole-planet/

"Now, when you see how an eighteen-year-old boy is outskated by a fourteen-year-old girl … it’s just ridiculous. The boys are very weak, I saw a few who seems promising, but it’s not clear how they will work. In fact, girls jump and they are not afraid, but guys need their diapers being changed. Girls are just fire. The first six of our juniors is the top of Europe at the moment."

And I deeply agree with him or with "a combination of TAT, Plushenko, Mishin and Toller Cranston" if they said. Just ridiculous....

If Plushenko actually said this, he is a pathetic little bully and a horse's rump. I feel sorry for him that he has fallen so low from such greatness.

Here in the US, thank heaven, the people who make fun of a male athlete by saying they could not beat a girl athlete are usually treated as the fools they are.

And, just to respond in general to other posts, I feel sorry for anyone who does not appreciate the fire of Alex Krasnozhon, the smoothness of Camden Pulkinen, the technique of Mitsuko, the vigor of Luc Economides, the beautiful spins and choreo of Tomoki, and of course Andrew T. :agree: still to come.

An excellent and varied men's field. Keep it up, boys:hap10:

starla16

Medalist
Then zero advantage for Konkina & Yakushev as it is the same event Shpilevaya & Smirnov and Lajoie & Lagha are signed up for. Of course, they could all be moved around, though I don't see a compelling reason to switch S&S and K&Y. (K&Y already had their advantage, when Russia yanked Shevchenko & Eremenko out of Austria, leaving Austria with no depth after Carreira & Ponomarenko). Because of that decision, whatever-rule-S&S broke on the twizzles, and the tighter scoring/calling at Riga, the Russian rankings are rather screwy at the moment. My guess is they'll sort themselves out.

S/S and K/Y are almost tied in scores with K/Y big mistake in SD and S/S twizzle issues, We dont know who will score higher if clean, I'd say they have an equal chance to win silver or gold but it will be difficult, Skopcova/Aleshin have the easiest assignments and might just bump Konkina/Yakushev in the standings

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Skopcova/Aleshin have the easiest assignments

Austria had the least depth. Skoptcova & Aleshin have a tougher assignment to start off with than Austria. They go up with Carreira & Ponomarenko (same as Austria) and Ushakova & Nekrasov (who medaled on the JGP last year). Not the strongest Russian team by far, but still with a PB 10 points higher last season than the 3rd team in Austria, Lagouge & Rahier.

I agree that Croatia should be a tougher event than Poland if K&Y go there and everyone else stays where they are. Who knows though? Lajoie & Lagha might move into Poland.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Austria had the least depth. Skoptcova & Aleshin have a tougher assignment to start off with than Austria. They go up with Carreira & Ponomarenko (same as Austria) and Ushakova & Nekrasov (who medaled on the JGP last year). Not the strongest Russian team by far, but still with a PB 10 points higher last season than the 3rd team in Austria, Lagouge & Rahier.

I agree that Croatia should be a tougher event than Poland if K&Y go there and everyone else stays where they are. Who knows though? Lajoie & Lagha might move into Poland.

i don't think lajoie and lagha will move... i may be wrong but skate canada, when they announce jgp rarely plays switcheroos... unless it is to give a second outing... and that's L/L's second outing... so I'd be surprised that the subs get named... especially since they have announced via social media where they will be competing next...

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
i don't think lajoie and lagha will move... i may be wrong but skate canada, when they announce jgp rarely plays switcheroos... unless it is to give a second outing... and that's L/L's second outing... so I'd be surprised that the subs get named... especially since they have announced via social media where they will be competing next...

I think it's fine. Not a big difference for them between the two events. Both events have one of the top three teams remaining from last season. Plus K&Y in Croatia. Or the Greens and Khudaberdieva & Nazarov in Poland. The only reason I mention it is because K&Y have a higher SB currently than L&L. (And that is with a double splat). While the two younger medalists in Poland trail L&L's SB by 7-9 points (with a fall for K&N and twizzle errors for the Greens). But scoring varies by event and none of these three teams have a JGP track record so scores from different events are not necessarily a good reason to switch events in this case.

And we don't even really know if K&Y will be placed in Croatia at this point.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think it's fine. Not a big difference for them between the two events. Both events have one of the top three teams remaining from last season. Plus K&Y in Croatia. Or the Greens and Khudaberdieva & Nazarov in Poland. The only reason I mention it is because K&Y have a higher SB currently than L&L. (And that is with a double splat). While the two younger medalists in Poland trail L&L's SB by 7-9 points (with a fall for K&N and twizzle errors for the Greens). But scoring varies by event and none of these three teams have a JGP track record so scores from different events are not necessarily a good reason to switch events in this case.

And we don't even really know if K&Y will be placed in Croatia at this point.

fair enough... L/L messed up twizzles in both their programs too... so indeed.. we don't know if they will change their crazy difficult entry into them... or by now have mastered it.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
L/L messed up twizzles in both their programs too.

Yes, they have room to improve as well. 'Tis one of those seasons where I expect to see some shuffling and jostling for positions. And a lot of teams grow. It is the first season for all of the favorites to enter any JGP event expected to win, which is a very different place to skate from mentally. Two young teams medaling that have never competed in a JGP of any kind. And Konkina & Yakushev in their first JGP season under this particular partnership. All of those elements make the field rather primed for movement.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes, they have room to improve as well. 'Tis one of those seasons where I expect to see some shuffling and jostling for positions. And a lot of teams grow. It is the first season for all of the favorites to enter any JGP event expected to win, which is a very different place to skate from mentally. Two young teams medaling that have never competed in a JGP of any kind. And Konkina & Yakushev in their first JGP season under this particular partnership. All of those elements make the field rather primed for movement.

I don't follow juniors GP usually so I have no expectations whatsoever... but now that i have watched a couple competitions, I hope that Lajoie Lagha will qualify for the final.... I did follow worlds last year so with Carreira/Ponomarenko, I remember both these teams and they were good, so I am rooting for them both

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I don't follow juniors GP usually so I have no expectations whatsoever... but now that i have watched a couple competitions, I hope that Lajoie Lagha will qualify for the final.... I did follow worlds last year so with Carreira/Ponomarenko, I remember both these teams and they were good, so I am rooting for them both

Enjoy! I like watching junior dance. There are not that many entries, and almost all the athletes know how to perform.

I'd say you can breath a bit better for L&L at the moment because Shpilevaya & Smirnov have been moved out. (And I know they lost to Shevchenko & Eremenko, but history, two years at Junior Worlds, and a bunch of points from one very unusual level 1 set of twizzles says that S&S are the stronger team. Plus Konkina & Yakushev have not been put in at Croatia, which one would think could have been done at the same time.

Also, I know it can seem like there are a slew of Junior Russian teams, but I'd recommend at least paying attention to Shpilevaya & Smirnov and Skoptcova & Aleshin. They are legit. Two of the top three remaining dance teams from last years Junior Worlds and along with Carreira & Ponomarenko, the only two current junior dance teams to have qualified for a JGPF.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Enjoy! I like watching junior dance. There are not that many entries, and almost all the athletes know how to perform.

I'd say you can breath a bit better for L&L at the moment because Shpilevaya & Smirnov have been moved out. (And I know they lost to Shevchenko & Eremenko, but history, two years at Junior Worlds, and a bunch of points from one very unusual level 1 set of twizzles says that S&S are the stronger team. Plus Konkina & Yakushev have not been put in at Croatia, which one would think could have been done at the same time.

Also, I know it can seem like there are a slew of Junior Russian teams, but I'd recommend at least paying attention to Shpilevaya & Smirnov and Skoptcova & Aleshin. They are legit. Two of the top three remaining dance teams from last years Junior Worlds and along with Carreira & Ponomarenko, the only two current junior dance teams to have qualified for a JGPF.

well thanks for the info.. i am happy to be told i can breath a bit better :) let's see how everything unfolds ;)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
let's see how everything unfolds ;)

We will! I am especially cheering this weekend for a brand new U.S. team, Avonley Nguyen & Vadim Kolesnik. She is a tiny little thing, but she can fly. And she sells a program like nobody's business. Really happy to see them assigned a GP. I fell in love with her skating in intermediates two years ago, and then she went without a partner for a season so I was worried that we might not see her again, much less see her skip novices & skate on the JGP this season.

Also, I am rooting for Carreira & Ponomarenko and looking forward to seeing Skoptcova & Aleshin's new programs. Pretty surprised both these teams are competing in the same regular season JGP. But excited to see the battle.

The Finn

Record Breaker
So, three more events to go.

Ladies

Has made it for sure
Alexandra TRUSOVA 30p

Main contenders
Anastasia TARAKANOVA 15p
Daria PANENKOVA 15p
Eunsoo LIM 13p
Nana ARAKI 13p
Anastasiia GULIAKOVA 13p
Rika KIHIRA 13p

Still have a chance
Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA 11p
Mako YAMASHITA 11p

Haven't skated yet
Alena KOSTORNAIA
Sofia SAMODUROVA
Young YOU

Remaining events
JGP Croatia: Tarakanova, Yamashita, Samodurova, You
JGP Poland: Panenkova, Kostornaya, Eunsoo Lim
JGP Italy: Guliakova, Kihira, Alena/Sofia/Stasya, Araki, You

At the moment it seems that a lot of potential JGP Finalists will skate in Italy. There might be at least three maybe even four silver medalist there. It should be an interesting battle between Guliakova, Kihira, Araki and the 2nd Russian skater who ever that will be. Although, one would think that the japanese Fed wouldn't put Kihira and Araki at the same event but at the moment they both are assigned JGP Italy. If they do change one of them to the 6th event then the 6th event will become pretty high quality event also with Panenkova, Kostornaya, Lim and Kihira/Araki.

Men

Main contenders
Alexey EROKHOV 15p
Alexei KRASNOZHON 15p
Camden PULKINEN 15p
Mitsuki SUMOTO 15p
Andrew TORGASHEV 13p
Makar IGNATOV 13p
Luc ECONOMIDES 13p

Still have a chance
Roman SAVOSIN 22p
Igor EFIMCHUK 11p
Tomoki HIWATASHI 11p
Egor MURASHOV 11p
Egor RUKHIN 11p

Haven't skated yet
Matteo RIZZO
Koshiro SHIMADA

Remaining events
JGP Croatia: Krasnozhon, Sumoto, Ignatov, Shimada
JGP Poland: Erokhov, Pulkkinen, Rizzo, Shimada, Economides, Hiwatashi, Rukhin
JGP Italy: Torgashev, Rizzo, (Efimchuk), Murashov,

I would think that there might be some changes coming up because 7th event looks easy while 6th event looks really difficult.

Pairs

Has made it for sure
Apollinariia PANFILOVA / Dmitry RYLOV 26p

Main contenders
Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / Denis KHODYKIN 15p
Anastasia POLUIANOVA / Dmitry SOPOT 13p
Aleksandra BOIKOVA / Dmitrii KOZLOVSKII 13p
Evelyn WALSH / Trennt MICHAUD 11p

Still have a chance
Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR 9p

Haven't skated yet
Polina KOSTIUKOVICH / Dmitrii IALIN
Daria KVARTALOVA / Alexei SVIATCHENKO
Yumeng GAO / Zhong XIE

Remaining events
JGP Croatia: Boikova/Kozlovskii, Kostiukovich/Ialin, Kvartalova/Sviatchenko, Gao/Xie, Walsh/Michaud
JGP Poland: Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, Poluianova/Sopot, Kostiukovich/Ialin or Kvartalova/Sviatchenko, Alexandrovskaya/Windsor, Gao/Xie

Very interesting events coming up. By the way, China will send three pairs at both events but at the moment it looks like Tang/Yang, who were 4th at JGP Belarus, doesn't get a 2nd event. That migh change of course.

Ice dancing

Has made it for sure
Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO 3op

Main contenders
Sofia POLISHCHUK / Alexander VAKHNOV 15p
Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKO 15p
Anastasia SKOPTCOVA / Kirill ALESHIN 13p
Anastasia SHPILEVAYA / Grigory SMIRNOV 13p
Ksenia KONKINA / Grigory YAKUSHEV 13p
Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA 13p

Still have a chance
Arina USHAKOVA / Maxim NEKRASOV 11p
Elizaveta KHUDAIBERDIEVA / Nikita NAZAROV 11p

Remaining events
JGP Croatia: Shevchenko/Eremenko, Konkina/Yakushev, Lajoie/Lagha,
JGP Poland: Skoptcova/Aleshin, Ushakova/Nekrasov or Khudaiberdieva/Nazarov,
JGP Italy: Polishchuk/Vakhnov, Shpilevaya/Smirnov,

Nafetaks

On the Ice
Country
Germany
For Mitsuko Sumoto it surely would be very special, if he can go to the Grand Prix Final, as it is held in his own home country. I wonder, if his 4th place in Croatia is enough (24 points). I think there are now four skaters, who are still competing in the following two events, that can have more points in total than him and he would be still qualified.

Here are the assignments for the last two men'S JGPs:
http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108207.htm
http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108215.htm