cooper

Medalist
Does this now mean she is 22 in Korean age? :cool:

yup.. :laugh:

yuna documentary from sbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D361crmI5U&feature=player_embedded

- classy advice from irina and stephane about yuna's future
- some patrick-yuna behind the scene
- yuna talking about the Worlds 2011 when she cried.. and she thought it could be her last podium..
- she was surprised about the reaction from people(fans?), as they did not even congratulate her from winning silver medal at this year's worlds..:sheesh:
- pyeongchang winning the 2018 bid was turning point in her
- retirement is always in her mind but she said she's not planning, that it will happen

sunny0760

On the Ice
Yu-Na at International Peace Day event at UN Headquarters:

At the same event...
This is a very small act that anyone would do in that situation but I think she is adorable here, especially when she briefly hesitated before the eye contanct with Stevie Wonder's secretary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zIGAqvHmT8&feature=player_embedded

Stevie Wonder must have been happy with that. Look at his reaction when Yuna's name was called.:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UCszurE66aI

However, as for the translation, I don't like it at all.:disapp: Yuna did not say that sports can become very competitive at times or that the olympics is war where players come together. I don't think Yuna especially mentioned 'hope', either.

What she said is;

As we can see that they fobade war during the olympic games a long time ago, sports means that all the people in the world come together as one, compete in peace, doing competitions in good faith(smile)... people can enjoy sports with passion. Sports is something like that. I think all the players or athletes, including me, from every discipline, should show these meanings to the fans, to all the people who like sports in the world.

How interesting that YuNa brought up the fact that war was suspended during the Olympics in ancient times. It's one of the hopes I always have for sport, that it will bring people together at least for fleeting moments. (I understand that sport is not always noble, but this is one of the aspects of it that can really make a difference in the world.) I remember someone saying sadly once that in ancient Greece, wars were suspended for the Olympics, but in modern times, the Olympics were suspended for war. (Alas, this happened in 1914, 1918, 1940, and 1944.) It is true that although a sports competition can be war, it also allows people from different countries to meet and to respect one another's abilities. That's true for the athletes and also sometimes for the audiences. For example, I'm sure the Soviets were seen in a new light by many Americans when Olga Korbut and later Katia Gordeyeva showed up on the scene--and historians still write of the eager reception Jesse Owens received from German spectators at the Munich Olympics. Small seeds, but sometimes they grow and flourish in unexpected ways later on.

reneerose

Final Flight
Am new here...did not have a TV last year so could you believe I just watched her Short Program and Free Skate from the 2010 Olympics just yesterday on You Tube? I can't believe I didn't watch it until then. What an astounding and perfect performance! Plus also finding out she's no longer coached by Orser...first wonderful appreciation at her skates and then feeling letdown. Oh well. That's life. :(

YunaBliss

On the Ice
It's been reported that Yuna and Michelle Kwan have been invited to join a lunch with Korean President Lee, US Vice President Joe Biden, and Sec. of State Hillary Clinton at the State Department this week. President Lee is having a summit with President Obama to announce the groundbreaking signing of the FTA and make a speech at the joint session of the Congress.

As people know, Hillary Clinton has publicly expressed her admiration for Yuna, in response to which Yuna sent a personal thank-you letter to Clinton. Now, they will be meeting face-to-face! :thumbsup:

Can't wait for photos!!

It's been reported that Yuna and Michelle Kwan have been invited to join a lunch with Korean President Lee, US Vice President Joe Biden, and Sec. of State Hillary Clinton at the State Department this week. President Lee is having a summit with President Obama to announce the groundbreaking signing of the FTA and make a speech at the joint session of the Congress.

As people know, Hillary Clinton has publicly expressed her admiration for Yuna, in response to which Yuna sent a personal thank-you letter to Clinton. Now, they will be meeting face-to-face! :thumbsup:

Can't wait for photos!!

How wonderful to hear! I remember that lovely letter. I'm thrilled that she and Michelle are participating in that meeting. Since they're already friends, I'm sure Michelle will help YuNa stay calm and will make the encounter even more enjoyable. I wonder if Jill Biden, an interesting and accomplished woman in her own right, will also be there. The first person who sees any report, photos, or video of that meeting, let the rest of us know!

We have often spoken in this forum of the good things that Michelle seems poised to do in the world, and the good that YuNa will do, but this post makes me realize that these young ladies could also team up and be even more formidable.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

Can't wait for photos!!

Thanks for the info.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Why is Appolo Ohno hated in Korea?:confused:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/02/20/ohno-reviled-athlete-south-korea/

From Fox news:

Ohno Becomes Most Reviled Athlete in South Korea

Published February 20, 2010
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Apolo Anton Ohno may be feted at home for his Olympic feats, but he's better known in South Korea as the "king of fouls."

The American short-track speedskater, who goes up against the South Koreans again when he races for a historic seventh Winter Olympics medal on Saturday, may well be the athlete South Koreans hate the most.

I don't know whether this is true, or just part of the Olympic story building in the US in the last cycle, but it was certainly out there at the time.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Why is Appolo Ohno hated in Korea?:confused:

Short track speed skating is an exciting sport and anything can and do happen during competitions. South Korea is one of the strongest teams in the World but going back for years Ohno was thought to have received favorable treatments with impeding etc. It continued during the last Olympics when Ohno was the beneficiary of several on ice incidents (clashes) until his luck ran out.

Last edited:
What a terrific picture! Both these ladies look happy and proud to be standing next to each other.

I kept looking through the crowd in the background for Michelle...wonder whether there are any photos of her at the luncheon.