THIS is how figure skating commentary should look! | Golden Skate

THIS is how figure skating commentary should look!

noskates

Record Breaker
After watching 4CCs for the past 3 days on Universal - anyone would be better than Peter Carruthers. He is just horrible! Half the time he doesn't finish his sentences and words just hang out there..... And he really doesn't know the current judging system very well.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I watched two of the programs and I didn't hear any commentary, really... am I missing something? Are you saying that the best commentary is almost no commentary at all? ;)

Icey

Record Breaker
I prefer all commentary come after the skate is over and then a be a report of the facts and not personal judgment. Sorry, I found him so irritating I only lasted about a minute.

cjuarez

Rinkside
Ryan is funny I like him a lot :laugh: However I miss Dick and Peggy :cry: I just don't like Sandy and Scott, Sandy is always complaining and Scott is cheesy!!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I prefer all commentary come after the skate is over and then a be a report of the facts and not personal judgment. Sorry, I found him so irritating I only lasted about a minute.

The same with me. Best is very little commentary during the skate (just the jumps named) and all the rest during slow-motion.

RyanTThornton

Spectator
I am so glad some of you liked it. Sorry if you did not. I must admit that the picture quality could have been better, we were hindered by the quality of the judges camera and have already put things in place to make this better for future events. If you do not like what I say during the pauses please feel free to mute me. The idea is not to detract from the skating and fill during the pauses. All of the feedback we got live during the event was great, the same with twitter. I suppose the skaters and fans were happy to be involved in a complete package which would not have happened at an event like this any other way. Moreover, we tried to connect the live stream to the skaters and the skaters to the live stream. I do not off course expect anyone with any negative comments to take anything I have said seriously. You would go down in my estimation if you did. I do not intend to change the way I do things. A final thank you to all those who got it, liked it and got involved. We have lots of fresh and exciting things coming up that will hopefully upset the old guard. OH, and thank you for anyone being negative. In the words of Oscar Wilde, "there is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is not being talked about."

cjuarez

Rinkside
Ryan I liked when you did the commentary with viktor pfeiffer, you 2 have very good chemistry!:)

MusicGuy

Spectator
Hi everybody,
I registered to make this post - hopefully there will be many more to come in the future :agree:

First of all thank you loopy for posting this thread.

I have a very specific perspective on this topic because I did the rink music for Mozart Cup.

I had never met Ryan and Paco, his livestream producer, before the event and they're both the most pleasant people to work with. Also, they know their stuff.

If some people didn't like it because of the video quality - well, as Ryan said, the judges' camera had to be used. That system is not HD yet, but it will surely improve in the future. It's all a learning process and in this case it very much was a decision of doing it this way or not having a livestream at all.

And, of course, everybody likes different styles of comedy and entertainment in general. They could have done a very dry, factual commentary - but then I'm sure a lot less people would have watched, posted and tweeted.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more livestreams done by the guys and hopefully working with them again in the future.

Greetings,
Georg

Last edited:

swurvestar

Rinkside
I watched and thought it was amazing. I love how he respects the actual skating and refuses to talk during skates and then makes the wait for marks more entertaining. It was also great to be able to send good luck wishes to the skaters and have a world wide synchro community to chat with during the event. Also, Ryan and his company were doing a lot to help the Why Not Synchro/Synchro 2018 movement, which is much appreciated by this retired synchro skater. I couldn't think of anything better (other than it being included in the Olympics) that could happen to synchro than Ryan and his company participating. (No, I don't know him, I'm just a grateful fan!)

TonyaHardlyEver

Rinkside
Ryan is funny I like him a lot :laugh: However I miss Dick and Peggy :cry: I just don't like Sandy and Scott, Sandy is always complaining and Scott is cheesy!!

I like Scott A LOT! I love how he sets up each element and describes why each jump failed. He needs to stick around. I like his dramatic flair. He is a good antidote to Sandra who is dryer than my Granny's pot roast.

BlackPack

Medalist
I am so glad some of you liked it. Sorry if you did not. I must admit that the picture quality could have been better, we were hindered by the quality of the judges camera and have already put things in place to make this better for future events. If you do not like what I say during the pauses please feel free to mute me. The idea is not to detract from the skating and fill during the pauses. All of the feedback we got live during the event was great, the same with twitter. I suppose the skaters and fans were happy to be involved in a complete package which would not have happened at an event like this any other way. Moreover, we tried to connect the live stream to the skaters and the skaters to the live stream. I do not off course expect anyone with any negative comments to take anything I have said seriously. You would go down in my estimation if you did. I do not intend to change the way I do things. A final thank you to all those who got it, liked it and got involved. We have lots of fresh and exciting things coming up that will hopefully upset the old guard. OH, and thank you for anyone being negative. In the words of Oscar Wilde, "there is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is not being talked about."

The ideal of figure skating commentary belongs to British Eurosport IMO, an opinion shared by many. If they talk during the performances, it is to briefly explain an element. After the performances are finished, they analyze the situation and the skating, often in a thought-provoking manner.

Just because Oscar Wilde said it, it doesn't mean he's always right.

If you welcome constructive criticism as a learning experience, then kudos to you. But you seem to think that attention means success. Maybe to some but not to many others.

Long-time skating fans appreciate good analysis. Most of the time, I couldn't understand both you. Please enunciate. Talking about Denis' costume after his very good performance is lame. It's fluff. This is a poor man's version of TSL, if there can be such a thing.

I always find it amazing that unfunny people are the ones who think they're funny. They're merely imitating people they think are funny, a.k.a. imitating the David Leases of the world. Humor requires talent and an eye for observation.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Welcome to Golden Skate, MusicGuy and RyanTThornton! It's good to hear from you both.

Hi everybody,
I registered to make this post - hopefully there will be many more to come in the future :agree:

First of all thank you loopy for posting this thread.

I have a very specific perspective on this topic because I did the rink music for Mozart Cup.

I had never met Ryan and Paco, his livestream producer, before the event and they're both the most pleasant people to work with. Also, they know their stuff.

If some people didn't like it because of the video quality - well, as Ryan said, the judges' camera had to be used. That system is not HD yet, but it will surely improve in the future. It's all a learning process and in this case it very much was a decision of doing it this way or not having a livestream at all.

And, of course, everybody likes different styles of comedy and entertainment in general. They could have done a very dry, factual commentary - but then I'm sure a lot less people would have watched, posted and tweeted.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more livestreams done by the guys and hopefully working with them again in the future.

Greetings,
Georg

loopy

Final Flight
MusicGuy and RyanTThornton, thank you for finding the thread!!!! Again, it was really a pleasure to watch the skating and not be interrupted and to have the gaps filled with interesting information, chatter, shout outs, social media - I think it really connected the audience watching from home. It was high spirited and did not detract from the skaters. Wishing you all the luck!!!