Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 53 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

i.v.v

Spectator
I believe daisuke is still doing his graduate studies right now? but you're right in that they probably didn't take classes together.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
This world championships will be a real test for Hanyu. Will he be an athlete that wilts under pressure or will he be able to come out on top. Sochi showed that he could control the nerves in the SP, but the FS was almost a disaster even though he still fought through it. If I am not wrong, the last time Hanyu skated a clean competition was at '10 junior worlds. It would be really special if he could deliver that clean competition that's eluded him so far in the senior level in front of the home crowd in Japan.

I think Yuzuru has provided answers to the query in his performances in the 2013-3014 GPF and 2013 Japan Nationals (both before his home audience with the pressure of qualifying for the Olympics) and of course the Olympics (the biggest competition for any skater). His Sochi Olympics LP was to me a true test of his character where he managed to hold it together rather than fall into pieces despite mistakes. What makes his achievement even more amazing was his young age (just turned 19 two months earlier) and that it was his first Olympics.

2014 Worlds comes so close at the heels of the Olympics that I have read posts predicting a gamut of results for Yuzuru from bombing to winning by a cakewalk. I think he will win, and I hope he will do it in a way that will satisfy the high standards he has set for himself.

Re the topic of Yuzuru's personality off the ice which was the subject of many recent posts, this is just me but I don't think I can be a fan of an athlete only for the latter's sporting prowess. It may be what attracts me to take notice of the athlete, but it will not make me emotionally invested to cheer and support the athlete, win or lose. From what I have observed and learned about Yuzuru, he is an athlete that I am proud to be a fan of.

Wishing Yuzuru all the best in his first competition as Olympic champion. He already has a splendid season, and in the 2014 Worlds an opportunity to make it even more so. Go Yuzuru!

FTnoona

Final Flight
I think Yuzuru has provided answers to the query in his performances in the 2013-3014 GPF and 2013 Japan Nationals (both before his home audience with the pressure of qualifying for the Olympics) and of course the Olympics (the biggest competition for any skater). His Sochi Olympics LP was to me a true test of his character where he managed to hold it together rather than fall into pieces despite mistakes. What makes his achievement even more amazing was his young age (just turned 19 two months earlier) and that it was his first Olympics.

2014 Worlds comes so close at the heels of the Olympics that I have read posts predicting a gamut of results for Yuzuru from bombing to winning by a cakewalk. I think he will win, and I hope he will do it in a way that will satisfy the high standards he has set for himself.

Re the topic of Yuzuru's personality off the ice which was the subject of many recent posts, this is just me but I don't think I can be a fan of an athlete only for the latter's sporting prowess. It may be what attracts me to take notice of the athlete, but it will not make me emotionally invested to cheer and support the athlete, win or lose. From what I have observed and learned about Yuzuru, he is an athlete that I am proud to be a fan of.

Wishing Yuzuru all the best in his first competition as Olympic champion. He already has a splendid season, and in the 2014 Worlds an opportunity to make it even more so. Go Yuzuru!

For the '13 GPF, I'd argue that he wasn't the favorite going into the GPF (he was still the one chasing) and then ending up with a 12 point gap on his biggest competitor must have added to his confidence (I don't think it's possible to lose that margin). I will agree that he held his nerves incredibly well for '13 nationals, practically repeating his performance from the GPF. This is going to be one of the first times that he is being the one chased with all the big guns withdrawing. These worlds will probably be his best chance to take gold. Overall though, I would agree that he has decent nerves. Hoping that he'll be able to deliver two good skates this week and glad to see pooh bear back on the sidelines!

I hope Hanyu can go 6 in a row for clean SPs!

cdngirl

On the Ice
He just didn't appear on many photos with them. He was like always far away from them. I don't want to think that the team treats Yuzu badly, I'm just worried about him. He's appeared on not so many photos while the Japanese team have been having fun together and taking photos together. He was also not with them during the closing ceremony of Olympics. He walked along with old doctor though I think it was because of such important reason as respect towards old man. Aslo, I've seen the photo where all skaters stood together but without Hanyu-san. I remember the fact that Daisuke's not admitted Yuzu's wins over him for a long time.

I don't know where you are located or what you have or have not been reading but Daisuke has acknowledged Yuzu's accomplishment many times.

makaihime

Final Flight
I don't know where you are located or what you have or have not been reading but Daisuke has acknowledged Yuzu's accomplishment many times.

Actually Daisuke has only just very recently said that he now finally accepts Yuzuru beating him :p Something along the lines of not recognizing Yuzuru as #1 yet or something/guessing that he now has to accept defeat. I believe it was after Sochi during one of the interviews? Don't really remember, but maybe someone else can provide an actual source :confused:

But I don't think it was say/done in resentment, it's pretty much how everyone at the top feels...its hard to let go and accept that you may no longer be #1. :eek:hwell: I'm pretty sure in the future Yuzuru will have a really hard time letting go as well seeing as how competitive he is :laugh:

I'm hoping that he does well and skates his best. Not for us or his country but for himself...he tends to be extremely hard on himself and I feel if he goes clean here, he'll get more personal satisfaction that winning that gold. Plus what beats ending his best season ever and collecting that GPF+Olympic+Worlds with anything but :points:

FTnoona

Final Flight
Actually Daisuke has only just very recently said that he now finally accepts Yuzuru beating him :p Something along the lines of not recognizing Yuzuru as #1 yet or something/guessing that he now has to accept defeat. I believe it was after Sochi during one of the interviews? Don't really remember, but maybe someone else can provide an actual source :confused:

http://troublemakerstorm.tumblr.com...takahashis-point-of-view-towards-yuzuru-hanyu
Q: What did you think about 19-year-old Yuzuru Hanyu winning a gold medal at the Sochi Games?
Dai : Although I could not defeat him at the latest All-Japan Championship, I kept skating believing I could still beat him. But now, I accept my defeat. I finished the Olympics with the worst ranking among the three Japanese male figure skaters, a result that I didn’t want to imagine, but I accepted the result as well. Yuzuru will be a leader in men’s figure skating in Japan from now on. There will be children who will be inspired by his gold medal and start figure skating.
Source : <html><a href=" http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001050603">Japan news</a></html>

It's not like Dai was saying this with bad intent and I can't understand why some people are trying to spin it this way. Dai has praised Hanyu before in other interviews like in the '10 NHK interview when Hanyu made his senior debut. Dai didn't even talk about saying he doesn't recognize Hanyu as #1, but more in the sense that he still believes that he is able to beat Hanyu. There was no ill feeling at all....:rolleye:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I agree ^. Personally I can't find anything to fault Daisuke in the above quote.

As I have posted in the Daisuke thread, Japan is so blessed to have both a Daisuke Takahashi and a Yuzuru Hanyu and that I don't think Yuzuru would have become Olympic champion without the high standard set by Daisuke for Japanese male figure skating. Yuzuru had to strive to excel to make it even to the Japanese national team with Daisuke, Nobunari, Takahiko all being world-class skaters. That kind of incentive stood him in good stead in his development as a skater.

SuzyQ

Medalist
Since Yuzuru is always nice, you think that he is faked. Now you saw Dai and Machida had a good time together during parts of Gala, you think they are really good friends.
umm this is started to get weirder and weirder every times you questioned Yuzuru's actions. I'm out.

I thought the same way. I've been watching Japanese figure skaters for long including Yuzuru since he was junior. There has been nothing wrong with their relationship. On the contrary, they are closer than the athletes of other sports, maybe because they are training together since they are very young in JSF training courses such as Nobeyama, and know each other very well. Many of them are childhood friends. Maybe Japanese have less casual relationship comparing with, for instance, Americans, because of the respects for seniors.

Of course Tatsuki and Daisuke are close. Daisuke is Tatsuki's most respected role model, and Tatsuki graduated the same high school, and entered the same University, following Daisuke.

During the summer of 2011, when Yuzuru joined about 60 Ice Shows as he lost his practiing rink in Sendai, Takahito Mura challenged Yuzuru with jumps when they were practicing for the show. They competed jumping quadraples as well as 3A repeatedly :points:
Yuzuru said it was fun, and had confidence in his jumps. I really wanted to see that :biggrin:

I don't understand why Japanese figure skaters should be always together, and always in the same picture frame. Are you always with your classmates or friends?

I wonder why questions about his personality are posted repeatedly this way.

giulia95

Medalist
I thought the same way. I've been watching Japanese figure skaters for long including Yuzuru since he was junior. There has been nothing wrong with their relationship. On the contrary, they are closer than the athletes of other sports, maybe because they are training together since they are very young in JSF training courses such as Nobeyama, and know each other very well. Many of them are childhood friends. Maybe Japanese have less casual relationship comparing with, for instance, Americans, because of the respects for seniors.

Of course Tatsuki and Daisuke are close. Daisuke is Tatsuki's most respected role model, and Tatsuki graduated the same high school, and entered the same University, following Daisuke.

During the summer of 2011, when Yuzuru joined about 60 Ice Shows as he lost his practiing rink in Sendai, Takahito Mura challenged Yuzuru with jumps when they were practicing for the show. They competed jumping quadraples as well as 3A repeatedly :points:
Yuzuru said it was fun, and had confidence in his jumps. I really wanted to see that :biggrin:

I don't understand why Japanese figure skaters should be always together, and always in the same picture frame. Are you always with your classmates or friends?

I wonder why questions about his personality are posted repeatedly this way.

please, don't feed the trolls!:laugh:

foruiz

Final Flight
This SP is a long wait with our man Yuzu as #29 to perform. Do you guys have live feed links? I am only able to see the scores via the ISU website.

SuzyQ

Medalist
please, don't feed the trolls!:laugh:

Oh :scratch:

I found a video Nobunari Oda is talking about Yuzuru, although I'm not sure you can see this outside Japan. I hope you can. Also I'm sorry I have no skill to shorten it as Nobunari's part is rather short.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jqmbf

Four Japanese athletes are talking about the skills they want.
Nobunari wants the stoic persistence exerted by Mao and Yuzuru (12:32 - 22:15, Yuzuru's part from 20:49)

He talked how impressed by Mao's continuing efforts like an ascentic monk.
And he complained about the points she had at Sochi for her FP. "She should have been awarded more!!!"
Yes, Nobunari :agree:

And about Yuzuru,

Nobunari: Hanyu-kun is a very stoic and persistent athlete. It's very famous. Ice shows, for example. Basically, we choose less difficult choreography in shows. We don't have to do difficult jumps. It's OK if the audience enjoy our performance, with fun music and rendering.

But, Hanyu-kun is always damn serious, giving his 100%! He performs really seriously in every show! I sincerely admire him!
(Laghing)
Host: Means you are not !

Nobunari: And, you know what he said right after he won the gold medal?? He said "Frustrated"!!

Yuzuru: I was so nervous. I thought Olympics was really tough. As a result, I am happy 50%, but frustrated for the rest. It may sound weired after I won the gold medal, but honestly, I'm frustrated with disappointment.

Nobunari: Where on earth are you looking up? Where is your goal? (Laghing)
I really think he is awesome.

BusyMom

Medalist
Oh :scratch:

I found a video Nobunari Oda is talking about Yuzuru, although I'm not sure you can see this outside Japan. I hope you can. Also I'm sorry I have no skill to shorten it as Nobunari's part is rather short.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jqmbf
Oh, this is a treat. Thank you so much. Your translation are great. Especially the part when he said "Where on earth are you looking up?, that so much like him. I'm a big Oda's fan BTW.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Thank you SuzyQ for the video and translation. They show the different and equally endearing personalities of both Yuzuru and Nobunari.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Oh, I just came back for school and I'm very sad to see the results. However, I still believe the kid can win. Maybe it's a good thing he isn't the first one after the SP and he'll have a reaction similar to Mao's at Sochi.
Go Yuzu!:clap:

Esopian

Final Flight
hope Yuzu gets back on Friday despite the very daunting pressure .

Yeah, I hope so too. If you think about it, this is the perfect set-up for a clean quad salchow at the beginning of the FS! Everyone knows he feels frustrated from the one point deduction, so he'll work extra hard for a clean FS. He looked nervous when he was on the ice when he was ready to start the program (you can tell by his breathing a bit).

A good food analogy for the current situation on his SP is: if you've eaten the best ice cream in the world two times in a row and after a few weeks, would the ice cream taste as good as it was the first time? Probably not, though it could.

I'm just saying he has reached perfection for his SP and realized the fact. There's nothing left to prove in this category.

For the actual event, I need to go back and watch Machida's performance and see how he got 98 points!! :eek: He's the dark horse!! Fernandez skated really well too, yet I still hope for Hanyu to grab the #1 spot at Worlds. Is that still possible judging by the current point gap between him and Machida? Is it attainable?