The Skating Lesson | Golden Skate

The Skating Lesson

JayW

Final Flight
I would love to hear their inputs on Worlds, it look like they have no update since Feb 28th. Any information about them?

anyanka

Record Breaker
I would love to hear their inputs on Worlds, it look like they have no update since Feb 28th. Any information about them?

Yes, on their Facebook page:

"The issue with our server is currently being worked on with our webmaster."

That was on March 23. They do still post clips on their FB page, mostly the British ESP clips of worlds.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I think its a simple matter of time and maybe a little skating fatigue. It seems that Dave does most if not all of the actual uploading, editing, technical stuff which used to be done by Jenny. Its a lot of work and they put out a ton of content in quick succession during the Olympics. I think he tweeted there will be a wrap-up after the event. I would check this weekend.

rosacotton

Final Flight
I think its a simple matter of time and maybe a little skating fatigue. It seems that Dave does most if not all of the actual uploading, editing, technical stuff which used to be done by Jenny. Its a lot of work and they put out a ton of content in quick succession during the Olympics. I think he tweeted there will be a wrap-up after the event. I would check this weekend.

Plus, the Olympic recaps didn't feature any clips of the skates (any videos that were put on youtube very quickly were taken down), which was likely why they were posted so quickly and didn't require quite as much work.

jcsamex

Rinkside
I hope Jenny comes back.

I do too. I really like Dave and his guests but I think Jenny provided comments from a different perspective since she used to be a top US skater ( I recall her commenting about how tough the envy and death stares could be backstage in the era of Sarah Hughes and Robin Wagner, for instance).

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
I do too. I really like Dave and his guests but I think Jenny provided comments from a different perspective since she used to be a top US skater ( I recall her commenting about how tough the envy and death stares could be backstage in the era of Sarah Hughes and Robin Wagner, for instance).

LOL really? :eek:

Do you mean anyone specifically? I always thought Sarah was kind as much as I didn't enjoy her skating. Robin, on the other hand..

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Am I correct in thinking that Jenny is studying for the LSAT? I thought she mentioned it in one podcast. if she is accepted to law school, she may not have much time to keep up with TSL, at least first year. I really enjoy her comments so do hope she's back in action soon.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
the SKL is a huge comedy fest
guess they ran out of subscribers and good laugh
good riddance

JayW

Final Flight
Am I correct in thinking that Jenny is studying for the LSAT? I thought she mentioned it in one podcast. if she is accepted to law school, she may not have much time to keep up with TSL, at least first year. I really enjoy her comments so do hope she's back in action soon.

LSAT! It is really hard, wish her best luck.:clap:

tripletwizzle

Rinkside
I love Jonathan's input, I think he and Dave work really well together, they always crack me up! Eagerly awaiting their last recap of the season :popcorn:

GF2445

Record Breaker
After watching that 'recap' show from the skating lesson of the 2014 World Championships, I have less care for it than last year. Honestly, with just David Lease as the main host, i have felt that they way in which they conveyed skating is not positive- its quite detructive of some skaters and the continuous in joke referencing make this sound so exclusive rather than accessible.
I thought the point of this show originally was to help young skaters to be inspired by the lessons of skating legends to assist in their own skating journey. Not to be joked about and shoved around and being told what they think its best for them like property. They have simoly lost perspecitve. If i was a parent i would not let my children watch it, maybe for mid teens now but not children who look up to lets say Michelle Kwan or Sasha Cohen or our great skaters of today.
The respect for skaters needs to be there for all skaters.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I do like the cohosts now. They provide alot of insights, especially the one who really likes papadakos and cizeron.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
After watching that 'recap' show from the skating lesson of the 2014 World Championships, I have less care for it than last year. Honestly, with just David Lease as the main host, i have felt that they way in which they conveyed skating is not positive- its quite detructive of some skaters and the continuous in joke referencing make this sound so exclusive rather than accessible.
I thought the point of this show originally was to help young skaters to be inspired by the lessons of skating legends to assist in their own skating journey. Not to be joked about and shoved around and being told what they think its best for them like property. They have simoly lost perspecitve. If i was a parent i would not let my children watch it, maybe for mid teens now but not children who look up to lets say Michelle Kwan or Sasha Cohen or our great skaters of today.
The respect for skaters needs to be there for all skaters.

How is the way they discuss skaters any different than the way ESPN discusses football or basketball players? As far as I'm concerned, skating needs to get a little less "nice." These are real, very competitive athletes and they should be discussed as such, not as pwetty pwincesses that need our protection.

GF2445

Record Breaker
To be respectful i am not going to retaliating because i believe its disrespectful. I do not know you but i am not going to react angrily

My arguement is simply that the skating lesson has lost perspective in what it intentially for- to inspire younger skaters through past champions. There is a fine line between talking about athletes truthfull, critically yet fairly and there is destructive criticism, poor body language and attitude and nastiness which should never be encouraged anywhere in any facet or form in society. And the skating lesson has crossed that barrier way too many times lately. I dont have espn, i dont live in the US nor have access to so if it is the culture to talk about athletes like that on that network, then its really sad to see that. Where i live, the commentators are genrally more supportive and if they underperform, they are tough and critical but also talk more about what can be done to get it fixed rather than what the skating lessom said about max aaron or ashley wagner being incapable of improving in their competitive careers or making jokes about the overly generalised 'status quo' that Russian girls and how they are affected by their groupgrowth spurt and body changes.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
To be respectful i am not going to retaliating because i believe its disrespectful. I do not know you but i am not going to react angrily

My arguement is simply that the skating lesson has lost perspective in what it intentially for- to inspire younger skaters through past champions. There is a fine line between talking about athletes truthfull, critically yet fairly and there is destructive criticism, poor body language and attitude and nastiness which should never be encouraged anywhere in any facet or form in society. And the skating lesson has crossed that barrier way too many times lately. I dont have espn, i dont live in the US nor have access to so if it is the culture to talk about athletes like that on that network, then its really sad to see that. Where i live, the commentators are genrally more supportive and if they underperform, they are tough and critical but also talk more about what can be done to get it fixed rather than what the skating lessom said about max aaron or ashley wagner being incapable of improving in their competitive careers or making jokes about the overly generalised 'status quo' that Russian girls and how they are affected by their groupgrowth spurt and body changes.

OK, well since you don't live in America, I can see why the Skating Lesson might be abrasive to you. However, rest assured, this is the way most sports are talked about by the media. There's minimal mainstream media coverage of skating so TSL is trying to provide that (analysis, criticism, etc). I don't think TSL was ever about inspiring people to skate--just providing the coverage for skating that other sports have. But trust me, if you're ever in America, spend 5 minutes watching ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, etc and you will find that they fit right in with the skating lesson's tone. Including, yes, saying that some athletes have reached their potentials.

LRK

Record Breaker
I think there is a difference between criticism - and mockery. Sometimes that can be a fine line to tread - and I believe we all fall differently on where it lies exactly, and what we are willing to tolerate.

Note: I have not watched the latest TSL - nor the latest few either - so I don't mean this as a comment on that in particular; but merely as a general observation.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
My arguement is simply that the skating lesson has lost perspective in what it intentially for- to inspire younger skaters through past champions.

Since WHEN was TSL intentionally started to inspire younger skaters through past champions?!?!?! Jenny and Dave got so much shade from the start for being snarky. I just watched the latest, and it was excellent IMO. Some people have such a low bar for criticism or snark that they become oversensitive. I'd like to see more interviews, but since Jenny isn't doing this anymore she can't bring her skating cred to the table to get top skaters and coaches is my suspicion, plus it's probably a heck of a lot more work and time consuming to prepare and produce an interview. I like the commentary and Dave's new partner. If all he does now is opinion recaps I'm fine with it. Good job Dave and Jonathan.

Last edited by a moderator: