I'm just curious. Where are you from? | Golden Skate

I'm just curious. Where are you from?

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Ontario, Canada.

I should probably update my profile to reflect that. I've been lazy in getting around to it. ;)

Alba

Record Breaker
Milan, Italy.

What do you ean how many ppl enjoying FS in your country? You mean if it's popular?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Melbourne, Australia.
But I am not Australian, I am just working here. My country belongs to Southeast Asia region, and there is no rink in my country.:cry:

nimi

Medalist
Finland.

Like in Canada, ice hockey is the number one here and figure skating is a bit like its less popular little sister. It doesn't get as much attention (or ice time), but luckily for a couch potato FS fan like me, the TV covers the GP series, Europeans and Worlds pretty well, as well as Finnish Nationals and Finlandia Trophy. A fair amount of casual viewers tune in as well.

wanpe

On the Ice
Australia but currently in the uk. I would love to see fs live someday in europe!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm from the United States and lets just say I have seen a tornado or two :). TV coverage here is awful but I'm starting to prefer online feeds with comments from my GS friends anyway:hb:

TMC

Record Breaker
Another Finn here! :)

Agree with your post Nimi. I'd also add that in our country the popularity of FS has waned like elsewhere since the 90s (apart from Asia!). When I grew up in the 80s and 90s, the best skaters were household names and the Olympic events were hugely popular. Not so much anymore. I'd also like to add that all girls learn to "figure skate" at school! I'm pretty sure that some skating is in the PE programme every year for kids aged 6 to 15, and almost invariably the girls wear figure skates and the boys wear hockey skates. Also, the boys will mainly play hockey and the girls just skate around or play ringette. I found this really sexist and annoying when I was a kid as I really wanted to play hockey but the girls just didn't do that... I recently checked with my old primary school teacher and apparently the case is pretty much the same now as it was then. Everybody used to skate a lot in their free time as well; there were numerous outdoor rinks where i grew up, at least three plus a big indoor rink in a small town with 25000 inhabitants. Sadly, the winters don't seem to be long & cold enough for the city to bother with maintaining the ice anymore, not since the mid-90s.

nimi

Medalist
Everybody used to skate a lot in their free time as well; there were numerous outdoor rinks where i grew up, at least three plus a big indoor rink in a small town with 25000 inhabitants. Sadly, the winters don't seem to be long & cold enough for the city to bother with maintaining the ice anymore, not since the mid-90s.
Yeah, the climate change isn't doing FS any favours. *sigh*

As a kid in the late 80s & early 90s I spent A LOT of time in outdoor rinks with friends, although we preferred playing tag to practicing FS moves. :p
My specialty was tripping on my toe pick. For some reason, I just suck at winter sports in general, but at least skating badly is more fun than skiing badly.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Australia, and wishing more internationals/show tours would come here. There seems to be a sort of native curiosity about it, but little overall enthusiasm among the general populace.

During the Olympics, the snowboard slopestyle (I think?) got delayed, and Channel Ten showed a replay of some ice dance. They crossed to a pub where a very large, very drunk group of one of the snowboarder's friends were gathered, and they were really into the ice dancing, all intent on the screen and loving it. So the possibility is there.

BusyMom

Medalist
I'm from Thailand. FS in Thailand is one of the least popular sports. Hardly surface in the local news. We have 7 ice rinks in Bangkok alone. A few more in the provinces. People like to spend time at the rink more likely to avoid the heat. For FS to be widely as a sport, we need Yuna-typed phenomenon or Philippines' MCM. At this point it seems we have to wait for another decade or two.

No.1 sport of all time is football. Golf is very popular too (partly because Tiger Wood is half Thai).

Jewels

On the Ice
South Korea. Hahaha....:)

I hope figure skating apart from ladies become more popular-mens, pairs, and ice dancing. And I hope fs doesn't lose its popularity because Yuna retired. Maybe So-youn will be able to draw people in again. The skating envrionment still needs to be improved, and looking forward to see more talented skaters as a figure skating fan.