South Korea will attempt to pass 'host nation' automatic qualification through ISU. | Golden Skate

South Korea will attempt to pass 'host nation' automatic qualification through ISU.

GF2445

Record Breaker
South Korea will attempt to pass 'host nation' automatic qualification through ISU.

The South Korean Skating Federation is putting forth a proposal to allow a host nation pair team (to be Couple #20) and an Ice Dance team (to be Couple #24)- as long as they meet the Technical Minimums for the OWG.

They argue that this is for the better for spreading winter sports in Asia and that the automatic entry rule has been applied in speed skating disciplines.

What are your thoughts?

Would Love to hear what you have to say about this.

http://static.isu.org/media/149501/1867-urgent-matters-55th-isu-ordinary-congress-draft.pdf

Alba

Record Breaker
The South Korean Skating Federation is putting forth a proposal to allow a host nation pair team (to be Couple #20) and an Ice Dance team (to be Couple #24)- as long as they meet the Technical Minimums for the OWG.

They argue that this is for the better for spreading winter sports in Asia and that the automatic entry rule has been applied in speed skating disciplines.

What are your thoughts?

Would Love to hear what you have to say about this.

http://static.isu.org/media/149501/1867-urgent-matters-55th-isu-ordinary-congress-draft.pdf

For the Olympics only or all competitions in general? If it's the later I'm totally against it.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think it's a big deal. It's been done in other sports and hockey comes to mind. I'm pretty sure that Japan and Italy had teams compete that otherwise would not have qualified. The home country should be afforded some extra perks :)

Alba

Record Breaker
i think it's for the olympic winter games only...

If it's for the Olympics only I think that would be good. It's once in 4 years, not a big deal and it does make sense helping a bit the hosting country and also the popularity of the sports in that country. Most of the people watch FS during the Olympics only.

cooper

Medalist
and ksu should develop a pair team first.. at this point i haven't read any news regarding a pair team in korea.. and please they need to fix the training for their figure skaters.. there's an issue regarding that..

s_parks

Record Breaker
and ksu should develop a pair team first.. at this point i haven't read any news regarding a pair team in korea..and please they need to fix the training for their figure skaters.. there's an issue regarding that..

I agree. Kim/Minov are promising, and they don't train in Korea so that's fine. But the training conditions are so bad that I think KSU has got their priorities in the wrong order.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If they meet the minimum qualifications, then they have an argument. But they should actually develop a pairs/dance team, hopefully one that earns it, instead of just asking for a berth and piecemealing a team together in the 11th hour. I don't see the issue in adding another 4 minutes to the pairs/ice dance event, with those teams representing the host nation, and as mentioned it would spur on more popularity (especially in disciplines Korea isn't known for).

Who knows, this might trigger more skaters in Korea to pursue pairs/ice dance for a shot at going to the Olympics, and thus make the country more well-rounded as a skating nation. :agree:

Manitou

Medalist
One pair more or less, who cares? No difference. Just ten more minutes for the judges to sit through. They do it in other sports so why not in figure skating? Nobody will be hurt.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
One pair more or less, who cares? No difference. Just ten more minutes for the judges to sit through. They do it in other sports so why not in figure skating? Nobody will be hurt.

Exactly. And if the pairs/dance teams don't qualify for the FS, at least there's exposure, and history being made. :) I would feel bad though for more qualified teams from other nations who didn't make it.

I wonder if elite pair/ice dance skaters from highly-competitive nations will team up and get expedited citizenship to compete for Korea... a reverse Viktor An of sorts... maybe in some crazy alternate universe, Proklova and a high-but-not-highest-ranked Russian male are brought to Korea, become a dominant pairs team (making up for the Sochi debacle). :biggrin:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I wonder if elite pair/ice dance skaters from highly-competitive nations will team up and get expedited citizenship to compete for Korea... a reverse Viktor An of sorts... maybe in some crazy alternate universe, Proklova and a high-but-not-highest-ranked Russian male are brought to Korea, become a dominant pairs team (making up for the Sochi debacle). :biggrin:

they already have, Kiril Minov for ice Dance with Rebecca Kim

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I disagree, but only for one reason.

When Russia suggested the same thing, they were howled down with anger and bashing.

Now suddenly because it's Korea it's okay?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
they already have, Kiril Minov for ice Dance with Rebecca Kim

Good to know! Wow, they were 20th in their first World Juniors and then 6th last year... huge improvement! And they won the junior NRW in ice dance, and were 4th and 5th on the JGP, last year too. :agree:

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
I disagree, but only for one reason.

When Russia suggested the same thing, they were howled down with anger and bashing.

Now suddenly because it's Korea it's okay?

Russia did not suggest the same thing. They already had at least one Olympic entry for all 4 disciplines. They wanted a second entry for the men. This is what people didn't like.

Alba

Record Breaker
Russia did not suggest the same thing. They already had at least one Olympic entry for all 4 disciplines. They wanted a second entry for the men. This is what people didn't like.

Which they earned. You make it sounds like it was a favor to them, while the favor would've been a second entry for the men.

Alba

Record Breaker
They earned the second entry for men? When?

Read the comment again and the part of the comment which I replied that I put in bold.
I was speaking about the 4 disciplines where they had at least one entry. That is what they earned.

About the second entry for men I said: "while the favor would've been a second entry for the men."

Now, the question is: if this request is approved would it be applied to all host countries in the future? What about those that already have one entry in all 4 disciplines like Russia, USA, Canada, etc.?