Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 129 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

ayarose

On the Ice
It’s always hard, but this translation is hard again as Yuzuru’s words are rather abstract.

Yuzuru, what do you mean exactly by 滑っている感覚 Subette iru kankaku? :scratch:

Although I put “feel or sense while skating”, if anyone has any idea, please just advise me.

WORLD FIGURE SKATING 65:

Yuzuru Hanyu:

I believe we have no measure.
(Part 1/5 - maybe :p )

Question: You are doing a sort of ice show marathon in this off-season.
Yuzuru: Never ending show rush (laughs). Once it is settled, I will be able to be back to Toronto and finally start my practice.
Q: You have unveiled your SP of the new season, “Chopin Ballade No. 1”, before others. It is a very difficult composition with 3A at the beginning, and 4T as well as 3Lz+3T in the latter half of the program. It seems to be a program to open a new door in the aspect of expression.
Y: Its choreographer is Jeffrey Buttle and we left everything to Jeff, including the selection of music as well as the choreography. The sense or feel while skating is what I place the most importance on. As to the sense while skating, I’m feeling this SP is very difficult. In the first place, since it is a piano piece, I think I must make it structured, being conscious of the posture, toes, etc.
Q: Is it OK now for you to talk about your FP?
Y: Yes. My new FP is “Phantom of the Opera,” with the music arranged according to the story of Phantom.
Q: Did you select the music?
Y: I always loved the music of “Phantom of the Opera.” It became my favorite when I saw the film “Phantom of the Opera” in my music class that I was taking as an elective class of the second grade of junior high. It gave me a strong impression, and I have kept saying to my coach(es?) that I want to use it. But, as there are so many skaters have used it including men’s skaters such as Patrick and Daisuke, there had not been a chance. I can use it at last. Also, lyrics are allowed to be used from this season, and I thought it might give a fresh image.
Q: Do you have a different feel when skating to music with lyrics?
Y: I don’t think there is much difference. Because what we actually do would not be different at all. The impression of music might be different, or the facial expression of the skater might become easier to grasp. I read an interview of Tatsuki Machida in a magazine, and I am quite agree with him, that is, there is a possibility that lyrics would constrain skaters, for example, in case a sad melody has cheerful lyrics, the skater might need to make a cheerful facial expression. Lyrics could extend the skater’s range of expression, but, there is also a possibility they could narrow the range. I think it all depends on the person who uses the music.
Q: Is there any part or aspect that you go into the program story through lyrics?
Y: I’m not so conscious of lyrics myself. Although there are many parts choreographed with an awareness of lyrics, when it comes to whether I would only perform the role of Phantom, the answer may be “No”. It’s not everything. I may be trying to catch the background sound of the song for sure. Actually, this is what we have to develop further for the last-minute details after this, but I don’t think lyrics would affect that much.
Q: Who is the choreographer?
Y: Shae-Lynn (Bourne). It had proceeded between Brian and Shae-Lynn while I was unaware (laughs). It was not me who intended to request her, but Brian was thinking about Shae-Lynn (as the choreographer) since last year, and invited her to the Cricket Club in January. Brian was so willing to make me perform her program, and it was like having been decided to Shae-Lynn almost before I realized it.
Q: Is that for learning new things?
Y: I think so. It was the first time I worked with her, and it was actually difficult. The first thing I felt difficulty was that we had to start from talks like; “What moves are you good at?” As for SP, Jeff has choreographed for me once, and we kept polishing it up for 2 years. It is true that it was easier for me really to do his new program as well.

Thank you for the translation.
I think "sense or feel while skating" is quite right. When breaking up the kanjis, 感 (feeling/emotion/sensation) and 覚 (i liked awaken or be conscious) then it would make sense for me. I remember with R&J ver1., Tracy said Yuzu has an intense personal interpretation of the program but doesn't share it the same way to the audience as Dai-chan, yet it moved us in a way. The choreo or music could either be intricate or simple but the the feeling arising/stirring within him while skating the program will affect his presentation and in a way the the feelings the program will invoke within the audience.

But yup, I feel you. Damn this kid for being deep. I totally understood what he meant but I can't put it into words that makes sense. He would be a great subject for psycho analysis.

See BOrser is actually good at his job, we just have to be patient because Yuzu's further development will gradually take into shape and hopefully before he retires we'll see a more well rounder skater and person.

Geo1

On the Ice
That song is definitely Flowers Will Bloom (Hana wa Saku). As for his costume, he was wearing his Hana ni Nare costume because he performed Hana ni Nare as his EX. :)

Duh... I had not clicked on the link to view the video. Now that I have, you are absolutely right. The song is "Hana wa Saku" and Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki, Daisuke Takahashi and Yuzuru skated to show appreciation for all the support extended to Tohoku by people throughout the world.

Does anybody have a higher resolution video of this finale to the 2012 NHK Trophy in Sendai?

smasma

On the Ice
Yuzu has an interview published in the Olympian 2014 magazine. He is on page 3 and page 4 to 7. There is also a link on page 7 to this video. He looks cool in his suit. :biggrin:

unico

Final Flight
Slow weekend :(
http://vimeo.com/108043501

A new video message right in time!! :) He says "hisashiburi" or "long time no see", yes it has been a long time!! He says he received a lot of support from so many fans (regarding his injury) and although he's nervous, he will try his complete and utter best (isshokenmei) for the NHK cup.

Thank you smasma for the links to that magazine! I still struggle to read so many kanji :cry:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
http://vimeo.com/108043501

A new video message right in time!! :) He says "hisashiburi" or "long time no see", yes it has been a long time!! He says he received a lot of support from so many fans (regarding his injury) and although he's nervous, he will try his complete and utter best (isshokenmei) for the NHK cup.

Thank you smasma for the links to that magazine! I still struggle to read so many kanji :cry:

Yuzuru, why you are so blueeeee :biggrin: :biggrin:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
thanks for all the updates everyone :)

2014 nhk trophy press conference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3I89-xhhTk&feature=youtube_gdata_player (yuzuru's part is at the last part of the vid)

yuzuru hanyu 2004 -2005 season biography (translated from the official stamp collection) https://m.facebook.com/yuzustamp/posts/687249631353602
cr: @yuzustamp

Thanks for the updates.

Kanako looked so pretty, hope her results take a turn for the best, I feel that if she doesn´t get good results she is gonna retired and she is the closest and oldest friend Yuzuru has in Team Japan

Meoima

Match Penalty
Thanks for the updates.
Kanako looked so pretty, hope her results take a turn for the best, I feel that if she doesn´t get good results she is gonna retired and she is the closest and oldest friend Yuzuru has in Team Japan
I am not sure about Kanako being Yuzuru's closest friend in team Japan. Someone on facebook said she had watched an interview in which Yuzuru said he might even closer to Narumi than Kanako. You remember the gif in which Yuzuru massaged Narumi's face? I don't know if Kanako might let him do that for her. :laugh:

Esopian

Final Flight
This is such an out-of-context comment, but aren't Yuzu's eyes in the video message a little bit too shiny? :think:

(this thread as been moving pretty slowly so I thought I'd add a random comment)

skatefan22

Medalist
Thanks for the updates.

Kanako is a lovely girl with bright smile. She said she would probably retire if she gets satisfying results this season. But her score at JO doesn't look very promising. So if she still can't get what she wants, she will probably stay? Hope she can finally make up her mind to fix her edge problem. She has very nice skating skills and strong ability to jump high and far. With her edge problem fixed, she can make a very competitive skater.