‘Crash-lash’ erupts over film’s surprise best | Page 2 | Golden Skate

‘Crash-lash’ erupts over film’s surprise best

sk8m8

Final Flight
Funny how people see things...I would rate Crash as one of the best movies I've seen in the past 10 years. I've seen all the nominated movies this year, and as much as I loved BBM, I would say that no movie affected me more than Crash. I literally could not speak for five minutes after the film.

I do understand about marketing, though. Remember, only about 5000 people or less actually decide the oscar choices. It's hardly the "pinnicle award" people make it out to be. Just the longest running and the one with the most history. If I were and actor, I'd far rather receive an award from the SAG becuase it's voted on by all peers.

Oh, slighted this year (with the execption of Paul Gimatti) was Cinderella man (IMHO) a great movie, a great story, wonderful cast and script. Oscar worthy performances by both Crowe and Zelwiger.

Vash01

Medalist
Cinderella Man was a very good movie. The acting was great by all 3 main characters. What may have hurt the movie at Oscar time- it was released so soon after Million dollar baby.

Vash

Buzzz

Final Flight
I have not seen any of the best picture nominees and do not plan too any time soon. I did see King Kong and if I had my way, it would have gotten best picture! :rofl:

brad640

On the Ice
I was disgusted that Brokeback did not win. Crash was not a bad movie, but there were at least 20 better films than Crash released last year, and certain homophobic Academy voters were holding their ballots until the deadline waiting to see which film had the best chance of winning over Brokeback.

I was also disgusted by the undeserved praise heaped on George Clooney. There was nothing award worthy about his performance in Syriana, and he was overshadowed by everyone else in the cast, especially Alexander Siddig, Jeffrey Wright, Christopher Plummer and Matt Damon. Clooney was also undeserving of a best director nomination for Good Night and Good Luck over David Cronenberg for A History of Violence.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
You have to read Annie Proulx story to appreciate BM. It had nothing whatsoever to do with R&J. It was more like, unfortunately, 'same time next year'.

Joe

The problem with that statement is it connects "You have to read" with "Annie Proulx." Sorry, but I consider her one of the worst offenders in the 'pretentious writing for writing's sake' categories. (See "The Reader's Manifesto" for examples and for other offenders. My God, woman, tell a story, don't spend hours agonizing over sentences!) Soon as I saw who wrote the short story I had no interest in seeing the movie. (Helps I have no interest in seeing either actor get it on with anyone, let alone each other.)

Haven't seen "Crash" either. Don't want to. In fact I don't want to see most movies out this year that were major contenders except "Walk the Line" (what I know of Johnny Cash could fill a thimble, if it were a small thimble, but all the comments on it have been so favorable and Joaquin Phoenix is always good), "Capote" (because I love the book "In Cold Blood", if one can say that about that book), and "Memoirs of a Geisha" (not a fan of the book, but of Gong Li, Zhang Ziyi, and geishas). Therefore, I was very "whatever" about the Best Picture award this year. Expected BBM to win, was surprised it didn't, but don't really care one way or another.

Slight sidetrack: don't they herd sheep? Doesn't that make them gay shepherds, not gay cowboys?

Jennifer Lyon

On the Ice
Since "Crash" is set in L.A. (as is the movie industry), that might have given it an advantage over the other films.

Personally, I'm not interested in seeing "Crash." Here in Detroit, all you have to do is turn on the six o'clock news if you want to see how much black people and white people don't get along with each other.

As for "Brokeback Mountain", I read the story. Don't need to see the movie, but I'll probably rent it someday.

I was glad "March of the Penguins" won for best documentary. That film and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (nominated for best costumes) were the only ones I've seen out of the whole bunch. "Walk the Line" looks good. I will probably rent that one. The others don't interest me much. I prefer comedies.

Juliet VC - I'm not much of a movie goer myself. I'm too much into spending a fortune on opera and ballet and the occasional theatre play if I hear enough good things about one.

As for Annie Prolux, i heard quite the opposite from other people in the literary business. I guess a lot of personal tastes go into these award things as well as political reasons. Not unlike figure skating fans, imo.;)

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
I find it interesting that two posters read the story and decided not to see the movie. A movie is a different medium from a book, so a lot can be different. Usually it's the other way around- the movie cannot compete with the book. In BBM and a few others the movie was not only better but it made a completely different impact. I too read the (BBM) book, but after I had seen the movie. After seeing the movie I did not care much for the book, not because it was bad but because it did not have the whole scope of the movie (it was not intended to, obviously). It takes a lot to make a feature film based on a short story, and the writers of BBM deserved the adapted screenplay award, as did Ang Lee for Direction. These two (and the acting by the big and small role characters) made the movie what it is.

Vash

ranjake

Final Flight
brad640 said:
I was disgusted that Brokeback did not win. Crash was not a bad movie, but there were at least 20 better films than Crash released last year, and certain homophobic Academy voters were holding their ballots until the deadline waiting to see which film had the best chance of winning over Brokeback.

I was also disgusted by the undeserved praise heaped on George Clooney. There was nothing award worthy about his performance in Syriana, and he was overshadowed by everyone else in the cast, especially Alexander Siddig, Jeffrey Wright, Christopher Plummer and Matt Damon. Clooney was also undeserving of a best director nomination for Good Night and Good Luck over David Cronenberg for A History of Violence.
i can agree that part of clooney's win is the popular vote....but just respectfully disagree that he's without merit. i feel he's become an actor and a filmaker of substance; he's come a long way from "the facts of life"! i'm proud of him.

fscric

On the Ice
equestrianguy said:
Yes, love stories have been done in every form possible. The only thing that was different about BBM was that Ang Lee was at the reins and two young famous men of Hollywood were the lead gay characters. I believe Heath Ledger made his role his own, but really any young actor could have played Jake G part.

I'm late on this discussion but I agree with this statement completely.

Ileana

Rinkside
I'm happy that Crash won. I thought it was one of the best movies I saw last year. A lot of people think it's over the top but I think it was that way for a reason. It's like a wake up call because sometimes we do say things like that (I'm from LA) but we don't even notice it. If the dialogue would have been done in a subtle way, there wouldn't be anything new or different about it.

I still haven't seen Good Night, and Good Luck or Munich, but I do think Crash was better than Capote (really like this one, too) and Brokeback Mountain.