1996 Worlds Revisited - Lu Chen vs Michelle | Golden Skate

1996 Worlds Revisited - Lu Chen vs Michelle

A

ApacheApache

1996 Worlds Revisited - Lu Chen vs Michelle

Ok, I finally watched LC's LP as I had heard so much hype about it. Artistically, I don't know how to comment. All I know is both presented their LPs pretty well. Technically, IMHO, Michelle was better (everything including the extra triple) except the 2 true lutzes LC did. I may not know spins enough but I really thought LC's spins were inferior to Michelle's. I started this thread because I was very baffled as to why many thought it was a toss up between the 2 and that, had LC skated later she could've won. To me, it wasn't a toss up, presentation wise, they were equal but technique wise, Michelle was better so overall Michelle won. This is just a clumsy analysis from me, I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me understand it better.

M

MSI83

Very tough to explain....

This competition has been talked about so much, its almost hard to explain it.

Michelle did have better spins in general (better combo spin, and camel). Lulu had a great layback I thought though. Michelle had better footwork, speed, and 1 more triple, as well. Jump wise I think Lulu was better because she put 3 jumps (and a double axel) towards the very end of her program. As well as you mention 2 true lutzes. Lulu also had more power, and finnesse in her stroking, and jumping IMO.

Presentation wise both were excellent as well. I'm sure others could go in more detail.

E

eltamina

Re: Very tough to explain....

It is the official kick off thread for every off season. The MK v Lu 1996. I heard EllynK wrote extensively about MK's program in her book.

Apache, I am actually more curious about Lulu's short program Spring Breeze than anything. It is a piece of Chinese music. Do you know where I may get a copy. Hopefully I can order it from HK, or China on the net.

L

LADYBUGII

I don't have this competition on tape but I remember thinking, Michelle has met her match.

E

Excidra2001

Another Kwan VS Chen thread.. Sorry but i'm tired of them(not trying to sound rude)

A

ApacheApache

eltamina: "Apache, I am actually more curious about Lulu's short program Spring Breeze than anything. It is a piece of Chinese music. Do you know where I may get a copy. Hopefully I can order it from HK, or China on the net. "

I'm sorry I don't know. The only reason I took the time to download and watch Lu Chen's LP is because I wanted to know why many said it should've beaten Michelle's Salome.

H

heyang

Well, I'm not going to get down to skating technique. For me, the hoopla in this competition was the defending World Champion Lulu vs the newly mature MK.

Lulu emerged as the artist in 1995 and won the world title. It was her breakout year. She was the one to beat in 96.

This was MK's breakout year. After finishing 4th in 95, Frank convinced MK's parents to allow a makeover. Thus, the World was introduced to 15 yr old Michelle's Salome. It was an entirely new look for her. It was the 1st time you saw artistry instead of a 'kid' skating really well.

Both ladies had beautiful presentation during both performances at 96 World's. After seeing LuLu's 6.0's, it didn't seem as though up and comer MK would win - after all there is a pecking order. Most people thought the reigning World champion had the advantage. Lo and behold, MK performs beautifully and gets some 6.0's too. Both were elegance on ice - neither had any major flaws - it would've been difficult for either to have performed much better.

IMO, the win could've gone either way.

E

eltamina

spring breeze

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The only reason I took the time to download and watch Lu Chen's LP[/quote]

For the love of music, will you please take the time to download Lulu's short program, and see if that piece of music is available anywhere in HK? BTW, it was a lovely program, and Lulu skated it beautifully.

R

rgirl181

Re: spring breeze

Eltamina,
I did a google.com search using the terms: "Spring Breeze" Chinese traditional music
Here's the link:
www.google.com/search?hl=...gle+Search

This was the first and only link I checked, but there are a number that list "Spring Breeze":
www.musicofchina.com/gongyi.html
Over the years, GONG Yi has appeared in Mainland China, Furope, America and Southeast Asia, playing ancient Chinese qin music from the 13th Century. He is also deeply involved in the study, discovery, composition as well as transcription of qin music. He has transcribed over 20 pieces of qin music, including "The Grand Hujia", "Daya", "Orchid in Seclusion", "Happy time of Gods and Men" and "At the Cottage in the Mountains". He arranged and revised "Guang Ling Verse" and composed "Song of the Plum Garden" and <strong>"Spring Breeze."</strong>

Online store:
www.musicofchina.com/jsstore.html

Didn't see "Spring Breeze" specifically but I didn't look closely. Just wanted to give you a good start.
Rgirl

M

Madia

If nothing else, I just wish we would have more ladies competitions like 96' Worlds, it makes things so much more interesting and just gives a better overall competition.

T

thvudragon

I used to think MK deserved to win, but after rewatching with an open mind, Chen Lu wins all the way. Her jumps were better. She had a 3lutz/2toe and a 3flip/2toe, harder than michelle's. lulu also had a 3salchow/2axel sequence and a split falling leaf into her final 3toe. Her spins were weaker, but i thought she had better footwork (i don't think MK had a defined step sequence). I just felt that Lulu was better technically overall.

On presentation, going by the seven catagories.

1)Harmonious composition/conformity with the music chosen - Lulu
She was simply, perfect, this music was so soft, she just performed it so well. Best ladies LP ever.
2)Variation of speed -
wasn't there, hard to tell, but they seem equal, Both had times of speed and down time in their program.
3)Use of the ice surface -
Again, hard to tell, wasn't there, it wasn't blatantly obvious.
4)Ease of movement/sureness - Lulu
Lulu seemed to skate with greater confidence. MK had that slight bobble in her 3toe/2toe combo. Lulu's program just seemed more gelled.
5)Carriage and style - Lulu
Both had a variety of patterns in their programs. MK had better spirals, but lulu had a better back position in her layback. Slight edge to lulu.
6)Originality -
MK. I give this to her because the theme of her program and the fact that the music wasn't used before. I felt the choreo was unique.
7)Expression of the character of the music -Lulu
definitely. She was amazing, to simply put it. MK was too, but i don't feel she was quite mature yet.

Eeek, i hoped i explained that well, I've got a bit of a migraine. I hate the sun!

TV

N

nymkfan51

Madia ... I couldn't agree with you more! This is the best kind of competition ... when they both skate well. It's only a shame someone has to lose.
Lulu was wonderful, but I think the decision could have probably gone either way. Michelle was magnificent, so I have no argument with her winning.

C

Callystarr

<span style="color:green;"><strong><em>
From a lyrical stand point I thought that LuLu program was better. The program was flawless, and I can't comment enough on how brilliant the choreography for this program was for LU LU done by Sandra Bezic, this truly in my opinion is one of the top 5 best Long Programs I have ever seen. Technically I do think the ladies were pretty event.

Lu Chen 6 triples, 2 double axel
Kwan 7 triples, 1 double axel

If you want to look @ the combinations...

Lu Chen landed 3Lutz/2Toe, 3Flip/2Toe
Michelle Kwan landed 3Lutz/2Toe, 3Toe/2Toe

Technically I think the programs were even technically..I think Lu Chen had more my style or liking I would have given her the edge but it was so close...both skated brilliant programs.

Kwan however, did have better spins/footwork/speed...so that may have also helped both marks.

Some things I didn't always like about Lu Chen, is she never really held positions very long in her spins..not many revolutions could never appreciate her spins...her layback was nice however.</em></strong></span>

A

ApacheApache

Thanks guys for your analysis. Boy, you really saw a lot into Lu Chen's performance. I saw it a few times yet I still failed to appreciate it on the same level as you. But her 2 true lutzes were breathtaking.