2005 Marshalls U.S. Figure Skating Challenge | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2005 Marshalls U.S. Figure Skating Challenge

I guess I am the only one who really likes the three made-for-TV events. I find them very competitive. The skaters do a full competitive long program, with six or seven triples if they can, and the prize money is the biggest of any event on the circuit. I think eveyone is out there to skate for the gold.

(I am talking about the Marshalls and Cambell's events, not the so-called pro competitions like Ice Wars -- although I enjoy that, too.)

The events are more competitive than the Grand Prix stops. In the Grand Prix there are often only one or two competitiors who really have a shot at the top prize, and then the talent falls off quite a bit. At Marshalls and Cambells you see the best skaters in the world (usually). If it weren't for the cheesefests we would see Michelle only twice a year.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Grand Prix fade away and the cheesefest trio become more and more prominent in the minds of both the skaters and the skating audience. Someone could try for the "triple crown" by winning them all.

Mathman

soogar

Record Breaker
Re triple crown:

I bet they can really serve notice to the ISU if they invited a few more skaters (maybe 15/event) and gave a million dollar bonus to a the skater(s) who sweep all three events of the triple crown (like what they do in tennis when a player wins a Grand Slam ...it was a million in Steffi's day but it's probably a lot more now).

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Grand Prix fade away and the cheesefest trio become more and more prominent in the minds of both the skaters and the skating audience. Someone could try for the "triple crown" by winning them all.

Ah...Now we're talking...

I think this would be a good idea, but first they would need to add a short program and make them international events (rather than U.S. events featuring a couple of international skaters from time to time). And you have the I.S.U. to contend with as well. I think they would take action to prevent that from happening.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
The Cheesefests

Why all this speculation about the list of skaters?

1. It is a US hosted event.
2. It is at a time when most skaters will be starting their touring, and many skaters may be unavailable from Europe and Asia.
3. Several top tier skaters are awaiting the end of the year to have surgery and/or rehabilitation for injuries.
4. The ISU has frowned upon skaters claiming injury to back out of GP events, while they participate in other endeavors, no matter how easy for the skater (show skating), or how non-prestigious the event (Campbell's and Marshall's are big money events with no stature).
5. It is a pay-day, American TV event, so the top Americans will want to win the cash, so they will travel for it.

It is an anti-climactic event, the denoument of the season, and bound to attract all the Americans after others decline their invitations for various reasons.

The list doesn't surprise me at all.

Despite all that, usually they get all the top skaters from Worlds to participate. It's the last big whoop at the end of the season before the touring, recouperation, etc. start up. At last year's event (held at the Dunkin Donut Center in Providence, R.I., BTW) they got Arakawa, Ando, Slutskaya and Sugury, as well as Plushenko and Joubert.

Only in Olympic years is it all American. (?)

Mathman

Last edited: