2020 Four Continents: Pairs' Short Program | Golden Skate

2020 Four Continents: Pairs' Short Program

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada’s Kirsten Moore-Towers and Michael Marinaro found themselves in a surprising first place after the Pairs’ Short Program in Seoul, South Korea, on Thursday afternoon. China’s Cheng Peng and Yang Jin are currently in second, followed by teammates Wenjing Sui and Cong Han. Only a little over three points separate the top three teams.

Defending silver medalists Moore-Towers and Marinaro earned a new personal best of 76.36 after a solid performance to “Love On the Brain”, which featured a triple twist, throw triple loop, and triple toes. The lift and spin were both graded a level 4.

“Overall, we’re happy with our performance,” said Moore-Towers. “Our goal this week was to build on our performance at our national championship a couple of weeks ago, and I feel we did that. We still left a few points on the table on the smaller elements, so we know we still have a few more points to gain.”

More...

Did you enjoy the pairs' event? What are your thoughts on how it went? The current results?

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Moore-Towers and Marinaro are big fans of Sui and Han and admire their skating.

"Any time the reigning world champions (Sui and Han) are at an event, they push us, and they push everyone," said Moore-Towers. "We appreciate how much they improved over the year and hope we have our own improvement. We try not to focus on the results too much, but we are always striving for first place. We never show up at a competition hoping for second."

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite performances were Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Peng/Jin, and Sui/Han. Today I decided to look into what I value most about some of the top teams here. Assuming that the technical elements are performed well... what's the extra? I think that all pairs put a lot of mental energy into completing the elements, but what's the overriding purpose or quality that I see?

Moore-Towers/Marinaro. Passion. For skating, mostly, and for performing at a high level. I think this is one reason that programs about romance work so well for them. It's as if the romantic connection between the partners serves as a metaphor for their romance, their love for what can be expressed in their skating.

Peng/Jin. Fluidity, and Quirkiness. These just go together in their programs and make them unique. I noticed in their program today how bendy and curvy all of Peng's movements are, and how well they express the mood of the music. And then whenever I'm watching Jin, he's so darn charming. They're both full of on-ice personality.

Sui/Han. Commitment to the emotions and to every slightest nuance of their choreography. Every step, every head placement, every emphasis on certain beats ... S/H both commit fully. They are strongly committed going into every element. They don't waver. They're committed to showing the emotions of every nuance of the music. When the blues music is languid, S/H's bodies seem to stretch out the moment.

Calalang/Johnson. I haven't figured them out yet, but I think fluidity and smoothness are their strengths. I like the way Jessica moves; Brian keeps up the quality. I think Jessica and Brian need to save an enlarged picture of the SP leader-board, showing them, a second-year pair, right next to the two-time World champions and current Olympic silver medalists!

Knierim/Knierim. Beauty. Everyone's always saying that K/K have the most beautiful pairs elements (at least in the US) and I don't disagree. For me, it isn't enough. And maybe it's because they're putting so much mental energy into the elements. When everything comes together, they're spectacular. When one or two elements are off, the most common response is "if only."

Walsh/Michaud. Confidence and sureness. When W/M skate with these qualities, it creates beauty in their skating and a feeling of confidence in the audience.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This was really nice to watch. Starting off with the Philippine couple who may not have skated at the highest level, but who were such a joy to watch. Their enjoyment was contagious. Something similar applies to the Japanese couple, who I've seen doing better, but still did a good job. Liubov and Charlie weren't at their best (and they were very much aware of this themselves) which was a pity because when they're at it they are really fascinating. Tarah and Danny weren't at their best either. Contrary to Evelyn and Trennt who had a solid skate and were undermarked (well, in my view). It wasn't perfect, but having them lower in the standings than Chris and Alexa doesn't seem fair. Much as I like the Knierims when they're on, but both Chris and Alexa had problems (except for their twist which was good as always) and seeing Chris just standing there was awful, Evelyn and Trennt were better today. Jessica and Brian were great. I know, there was a problem with their SBS jumps, but it was still a good skate. Good for them, and deservedly in 4th. What shall I say about Sui and Han? I expected more and better. It was still lovely to watch (it always is, even with mistakes, and today it wasn't so much an error as a double jamp when they usually are so good at their throws). Pang and Jin were superb. I am liking this pair more and more. Kirstin and Michael did one better even so. They had a good skate, an excellent skate actually and it was nice to see the last couple to skate saving the best for last. Lovely evening of skating (even if it was half a day later then when it actually happened).

Zamin

Rinkside
My favorite performances were Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Peng/Jin, and Sui/Han. Today I decided to look into what I value most about some of the top teams here. Assuming that the technical elements are performed well... what's the extra? I think that all pairs put a lot of mental energy into completing the elements, but what's the overriding purpose or quality that I see?

Moore-Towers/Marinaro. Passion. For skating, mostly, and for performing at a high level. I think this is one reason that programs about romance work so well for them. It's as if the romantic connection between the partners serves as a metaphor for their romance, their love for what can be expressed in their skating.

Peng/Jin. Fluidity, and Quirkiness. These just go together in their programs and make them unique. I noticed in their program today how bendy and curvy all of Peng's movements are, and how well they express the mood of the music. And then whenever I'm watching Jin, he's so darn charming. They're both full of on-ice personality.

Sui/Han. Commitment to the emotions and to every slightest nuance of their choreography. Every step, every head placement, every emphasis on certain beats ... S/H both commit fully. They are strongly committed going into every element. They don't waver. They're committed to showing the emotions of every nuance of the music. When the blues music is languid, S/H's bodies seem to stretch out the moment.

Calalang/Johnson. I haven't figured them out yet, but I think fluidity and smoothness are their strengths. I like the way Jessica moves; Brian keeps up the quality. I think Jessica and Brian need to save an enlarged picture of the SP leader-board, showing them, a second-year pair, right next to the two-time World champions and current Olympic silver medalists!

Knierim/Knierim. Beauty. Everyone's always saying that K/K have the most beautiful pairs elements (at least in the US) and I don't disagree. For me, it isn't enough. And maybe it's because they're putting so much mental energy into the elements. When everything comes together, they're spectacular. When one or two elements are off, the most common response is "if only."

Walsh/Michaud. Confidence and sureness. When W/M skate with these qualities, it creates beauty in their skating and a feeling of confidence in the audience.

I wouldn't associate W/M with confidence and sureness. They have only recently started to skate that clean. In fact since their remarkable outing at nationals, I think. To me their skating is much more about youth and earnestness. Anyway that was a good skate for them. Happy to see them on an upward trajectory. They have always been, but they seem to have switched gears this season. Really looking forward to their FS because I like it a lot. They're looking more and more convincing as the Canadian Team's n°2 for Worlds.

Which brings me to Lyubov and Charlie. That was not great today. I hoped they would have a strong outing here, because their free is so beautiful I wanted to see it at Worlds. They can't get the throws right. Either it's two-footed, or there's a fall, or like here they pop it.

Mostly agree with what you said. Can I just had that I think we've been blessed this year with good choreo for the pairs all around the field ( cough Russian senior pairs notwithstanding cough). And it's really a pleasure to watch.

As for the top three, Peng/Jin stole the show. I wish the judges would have been more generous with the PCS, but they're virtually tied with MTM, so that's fine. Anyway their Alegria is a small gem, and wow Peng has become so confident. She was quite the star on the ice.

MTM were great and Marinaro is landing his jumps for a few competitions in a row!!! Yay! Still hate the music.

Sui/Han were great, despite the mistakes. I did not expect to sell this SP so well. Being hot is not something I associate them with (well, maybe Sui), but they are owning every second of that program.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't associate W/M with confidence and sureness.

I wouldn't have either. But when I re-watched their program, to see why I was so unsettled by the Knierims finishing ahead of them, that's what I saw that struck me. Their skating gave me, as a viewer, confidence that I could count on them.

The two pairs, together, especially one skating right after another as they did, illustrate the weaknesses of IJS judging. The Knierims' errors were very disruptive to the program and to audience enjoyment. Looking at the protocols, I could see why their GOEs raised their TES scores as much as they did. But it still left a not very pleasant feeling to have the outcome as it was.

One of the commentator's (few) entertaining comments: "Oh, well (wow?) .... Every picture tells a story." It was in the Knierims' K&C. Chris made one of his jokey/sheepish faces that we see after he's made some puzzling errors, and Alexa punched him in the arm. Chris's face straightened up immediately. LOL.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did anyone notice when Sui pulled her hand away from Han in the K&C? She was not happy. I'm wondering if it had something to with their discussion about her costume prior to the event.

“We had the (same) problem in the Grand Prix Final,” she said. “I told my partner, but he said ‘it ‘s okay, it won’t happen again.’ The problem is, when he throws me, it flies too much.”

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As for the top three, Peng/Jin stole the show. I wish the judges would have been more generous with the PCS, but they're virtually tied with MTM, so that's fine. Anyway their Alegria is a small gem, and wow Peng has become so confident. She was quite the star on the ice.

I agree!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Terrible disaster. Could not watch after my babies ...I dunno Chris looked lost..

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Terrible disaster. Could not watch after my babies ...I dunno Chris looked lost..

That's too bad. I'll bet watching one or more of the last group could have lifted you out of your mood. They were all so different, and all brilliant in at least one way or another.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did anyone notice when Sui pulled her hand away from Han in the K&C? She was not happy. I'm wondering if it had something to with their discussion about her costume prior to the event.

I didn't see that, but I noticed her quote that her partner said it wouldn't happen again, but .... Then she moderated that statement by blaming the double throw on the dress. So I hope the team will spring for a new one (or recycle an old dress) for Worlds.

When in doubt, blame it on the dress! But I understand the need to explain. And her annoyance at missing a jump that's usually so spectacular.

rain

Record Breaker

See, I love the song Alegria, and my problem with this program is that the music cuts are so bad, they completely take me out of it over and over again. I find my teeth clenched asking the universe why? Just why?

rollerblade

Record Breaker
The press conference was a hoot.

Translator: "I think he spoke English..." :laugh:

I didn't see that, but I noticed her quote that her partner said it wouldn't happen again, but .... Then she moderated that statement by blaming the double throw on the dress. So I hope the team will spring for a new one (or recycle an old dress) for Worlds.

When in doubt, blame it on the dress! But I understand the need to explain. And her annoyance at missing a jump that's usually so spectacular.

Apparently she had similar problems with her SP dress in GPF, something about the 2 pieces of fabric flared (shifted?) too much when she was thrown.

I love KMT/MM's reaction to Sui's story-telling.

Gourlie

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Interesting competition with some unexpected mistakes.

Who did not commit any mistake were Peng/Jin and I was so happy that they performed that lovely Alegria program flawlessly finally. But I was disappointed by their underscored PCS. Even though KMT and Michael were also excellent yesterday, Peng/Jin deserved to lead after SP.