2022 South Korean Figure Skating Ranking Competition | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2022 South Korean Figure Skating Ranking Competition

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
Protocols are up now
But where to find it? I see your links in the first page, but can't access or download :(
I tried on Korean Skating Union website with Google Translate feature but did not work for me to download this archived .zip file at all. Also, this whole website is 100 years before the apes. :confused:
Can you please send the file to download? Thanks!

Last edited:

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
I rewatched most of the short programs and the full stack of the free skates by the start order.
When I watched it last years, it was empty stadium here and I was like: Are Koreans really not interested in figure skating at all? But it was probably all due to COVID.
Because there, fans were just so amazing! :cheer: With all the cheering and toys for the skaters.

@Ichatdelune I envy you to be there and thank you for your links, news, live photo and everything!

Only if you did not see it, I recommend at least last two groups of women:

second to last (by skate oder): https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.naver?blogId=koreaskatingunion2&logNo=222945643026&navType=by
last one: https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.naver?blogId=koreaskatingunion2&logNo=222945684109&navType=by

Overall quality of the last two groups was just better than any of the GP in ladies this season.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I can't sleep so I'm writing a very late recap of my impressions watching live the two days of competition. I'm going by chronological order and using the blog to jog my memory, but a lot of things are kinda blurry now. It's going to be long so feel free to skip.

Day 3

I remembered to caffeinate myself so I was bright and sparkly-eyed at morning practice.
Men: Saw a lot of decent 3As and great jumps with the first group, was busy trying to watch my tesoro and my darling at the same time with the second group. Like, not to disrespect my other Team Korea men, but my darling just has different speed and skating skills compared to the rest. Well, maybe with skating skills Minkyu is up to par with him. But my darling is definitely faster. The rink was like 80% fans of my darling so everyone was filming him skate around the rink while other skaters were doing their runthroughs. I tried to watch him and the skater doing the runthrough at the same time so I ended up missing a lot. My daring's walley jumps are huge, did you know that?
Women: A lot of the girls were wearing makeup plus their dresses so it almost felt like competition. Again, saw a lot of solid jumps. Most of the runthroughs had clean jumps, got me excited for a heck of a competition and I wasn't disappointed.
That's for the recap of morning practice, onto the actual competition.

Men
Hyungyeom: Hyungyeom is very expressive live. Lovely 3A, solid jumps. Did want to sew the back of his shirt shut though.
Hangil: Hangil is a very attractive skater, pity the jumps didn't work out. He had a lot of good 3As at practice so I sighed aloud when he popped.
Deokhoon: His jumps were wild but were landed. I was expecting him to pull out his half-Biellmann but he didn't, maybe his hips aren't as flexible anymore? I don't know.
Jaekeun: Jaekun is so light and airy on the ice. His Otonal short is quite lovely watched live, and he's a quick rotater. More people should adopt him.
Minkyu: Oh Minkyu, I fell in love with your skating skills. Such great skating skills. I did hear (and admittedly also did) giggles with his music (but really, that "Des-ti-ny---" opening is used too often in TV for dramatic effect for it to be taken seriously) but Minkyu was astounding. Did I mention his skating skills? Skating skills.
Juheon: Was my first time watching him live, not as impressed as I could be but still appreciated him. Could use some refinement though, he's a bit wild in his movements.
Jaeseok: He's reusing his short but took out the dramatic heart grabbing, I was disappointed. Lovely stable 3A. Jaeseok is a sturdy skater and you feel relaxed when watching him skate.
Younghyun: Tesoro mio, how I love you so. His Erlkonig short is amazing live, my tesoro knows how to make the choreo shine. If only he could get a 3A (deep sigh)
Sihyeong: His rippons make him look about 3 meters tall when he jumps. Sihyeong has improved so much in his expression, and although I'm not a fan of Feelin' Good this SP suits him well. Lovely 3Lz-3T.
Junhwan: Darling mine. His MJ short rocks when seen live. Such quality jumps, spins, speed, and skating skills. I was mesmerized. But my happiness was disturbed by the fact that MJ-rang failed to reach him. But still, I fell in love with my darling a bit more.

I was mulling over the disappointment of MJ-rang's failure, so ice resurfacing went past in a jiffy and the women started warming up.

Women
Nayeon: I was quite impressed, although she fell she had a lot of power going into her jumps. Didn't feel like a new (domestic) senior.
Dabin: I cheered for her so loud. Dabin's skating has now matured like the big sister she is, I was very happy to see her live.
Sulang: Now Sulang did feel like a new (domestic) senior. She felt juniorish but that's what she is internationally, and considering her age and her newness she was quite good. She'll grow.
Jeongmin: I thought she had withdrawn but turned out I was having a brain fart. Nice, steady skating.
Siwoo: Siwoo's steps are quite nice when watched live. She does need to rotate her -3T though, I could see the underrotation live.
Seojin: Now that she wasn't suffering from nerves Seojin was great. She has great SS and it shone throughout, and great jumps to accompany those skating skills. She'll probably get 2 JGP spots next season.
Jihyun: Was surprised to see her with a 3Lz-3T, she had a 3T-3T last season. She's progressing.
Yujae: Her dress was so, so sparkly. She had landed two 3As in warmup so didn't expect her to fall on it during the program, but she recovered very well. Her Winter program is a very good junior program.
Seunga: Her peach-colored dress reminded me of my darling squirtle's Sabrina dress for some reason and it made me miss my darling squirtle. Nice, soft skating.
Seoyoung (Kim): Latin Bolero. She felt the music pretty well considering it was Latin Bolero.
Eunbi: Another one who felt like a new (domestic) senior. But was hopeful to see her next season at JGP selections.
Yean: Yean has matured nicely, she feels like a senior now. And her music was Kim Yoona of Jaurim, so extra points for that.
Minsol: Minsol and her Danse Macabre program are captivating live. She does have an air of junior-ness but she's 13, that's just to be expected. For a junior she is so expressive and full of energy.
Siwon: Oh Siwon, why can you move like that when you can't jump... Like, y'all discount Siwon because she can't jump but when you see her live she is so, so attractive. She can dance, she can skate. She just can't jump. Deep sigh.
Yeonjeong: Her skating is so calm and smooth, I just wish she'd get her 3-3 back. Yeonjeong has had a bad relationship with the ranking competition and this time wasn't the exception, but I did love her Chopin program live.
Minchae: Her jumps are HUUUUUUUUUGE. And the delayed rotation, did I mention the delayed rotation? Like, Minchae's jumps are just pure art. Changing her layout to 3T-3T was one of the best decisions ever. She was crying at the end of the skate and I was so cheering her on.
Heesue: Now that her spins are more centered her flexibility shines when she does her layback. Heesue also jumps a 3T-3T and it's become quite stable, lovely to watch.
Seoyeon: Seoyeon, like Jaeseok, is a sturdy skater. You feel relaxed when watching her. She could work on her spins a bit more but overall a very nice, senior-like skate.
Chaeyeon: I fell head over heels in love with Chaeyeon as I watched her live. She is just so good. And her jumps aren't small, not as big as say Minchae but they are respectably big. And she is so light and airy on the ice, and her transitions are butter smooth. Everybody love Chaeyeon.
Yelim: Her Ina Bauer! Her 3Lz-3T! Her sensitivity to the music! Worthy of the title GP Finalist.
Seoyoung (Wi): My beloved. Her lutz edge is so deep that it causes a bit of trouble for her sometimes, but I cheered so hard when she managed the 3Lo-3T. She was such a lovely Elizabeth Bennet, and she is expressive with her body and face. Ted can go swim in a latrine for all I care.
Haein: Ah Haein, such a graceful performer. I'm not that big of a fan of her programs this season but she does perform them so well.
Ahsun: I hate her short music (Experience does not need vocals damnit) but our little squirrel is growing up nicely.
Jia: Jia is the total package. She has huge jumps, nice spins, smooth skating skills, and she pays attention to the music. I have to admit that I don't love her as much as I can but her quality is undeniable.
Young: Young can tango. Her short fits her so well and her step sequence was fire. She's not having an easy season but I do love her very much, as do so many of us Korean fans.

Day 4's recap will be posted on a separate post

Last edited:

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
Thank you, Ichat for your impressions and I am ready for Day 4's one.
My questions for you are little bit more general / behind scenes:
So how is the general interest of figure skating in Korea these days? Did this competition audience respresent some pattern of Korea FS fans of this is just créme de la créme of the fans?
How much costs the ticket for this ranking competition (for normal Korean people)?
And do you think your judges are pretty strict? I think they are pretty strict comparing to Russia and so on, see the placement of Yelim and Young, but I think they still held Yelim little bit to be the third for 4CC (over Seoyeong Wi and Minchae Kim). ALthogh I am big fan of Yelim and bet her for GPF win, but in this competition I don't know .

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Day 4

I forgot to caffeinate myself so I was very drowsy during morning practice, and I shamefully admit that I dozed through some of the girls' runthroughs. Did manage to wake up before the start of the competition though.

Men
Hangil: Now there was that 3A. Two of them, in fact. Hangil, please continue skating. Your skating is just too nice to let go.
Deokhoon: Not that great of a skate but he managed. I wasn't that big of a fan of his program though.
Younghyun: Again, I love my tesoro. His Dune program is great. He makes the choreo shine. Why am I the only one on this site who appreciates him. Damnit.
Jaekeun: Jaekeun is such a charming little Nutcracker, shame that the jumps went awry. The Pas de Deux fits his light, airy skating very well.
Hyungyeom: Sunghoon's red shirt came back, I mean you do need red or blue for WSS. Nice 3As again, and although not as sensitive as with his SP I thoroughly enjoyed him.
Jaeseok: He was cheering the crowd on, can you believe it. He's becoming quite the performer.
Juheon: Now Juheon had a bad skate. I feel that the lack of competition affected him badly, hopefully he competes more next season.
Minkyu: Once he fixes his lutz edge he will be unstoppable. Such quality. And his skating skills!!!!
Sihyeong: I quite like Sihyeong's free, and he's growing into it. Worthy of his no. 2 spot.
Junhwan: I absolutely loved his 007 free. Did I mention his Ina Bauer is jawdropping? It's jawdropping. Forget the 3A and the popped -3S, he was so good. And Bond-rang went to my darling (after I yelled at him to come five times), so all was well.

Women
Siwon: Siwon should've been an ice dancer. Such lovely body movements, such a sad lack of jumps. Such a cactus she is.
Jihyun: Not the best of skates, but she'll come back stronger. I hope to see her at JGP selections next season.
Jeongmin: Bond Jeongmin. Not clean but it was a nice program.
Yean: Oh Yean, why Ghost. I couldn't concentrate on your skate because of the music.
Seunga: I can't remember what I saw. I must've been dozing again. So sorry, Seunga.
Nayeon: Again, I was quite impressed. She'll do great at JGP selections next season.
Yeonjeong: Oh Yeonjeong... Such lovely skating, the jumps just refused to cooperate.
Eunbi: Did I doze again???? I am so sorry, Eunbi (weeps)
Seoyoung (Kim): Another Introduction to Rondo and Capriccioso. Honestly preferred Ahsun but she was good too.
Young: Young dearie return to the white dress, not the one with the blue on top the pure white one. Not a good skate but her Winter program is lovely. Young dearie please remember that you are very much loved
Siwoo: Siwoo's Alegria program is quite good! It's much better in its senior version, steps and all.
Dabin: Such mature, elegant skating. Oh Dabin.
Seojin: Now Seojin was fantastic. This was the competition of her career so far.
Seoyoung (Wi): My beloved, my love for you is as deep as your lutz edge. She wept after a clean skate and I was yelling my heart out telling her that I love her, you can hear my voice in the video. She is great and anyone who says otherwise can go swim in the latrine with Ted.
Yujae: She fell on her 3A but otherwise went clean, and her Aida programs suits her well. She's still in the running for the JW team.
Heesue: Although some say she lacks the fire for a Frida program, I very much enjoyed it. Heesue is a charming skater.
Ahsun: Our little squirrel. Good program, good skate. She's maturing nicely isn't she.
Seoyeon: Now that was a bad skate. I was very much surprised. But she'll bounce back.
Minchae: Again, her jumps are of such beauty. She did so well and was beloved by the crowd.
Yelim: Bad skate, but her Ina Bauer! Her grace and sensitivity! She'll do better at GPF.
Minsol: She is one adorable kitty. She cried when she broke 200, but dear kitten you'll do that a lot more soon
Haein: I admit I don't love her POTO, but Haein is a great Christine. She did well and I cheered her hard.
Chaeyeon: Her Poeta is fire. Her choreo sequence is fire. She is fire. Everybody love Chaeyeon.
Jia: Jia was stunning. She does her Tree of Life Suite program so well. She'll rock at JGPF.

And after all that the medal ceremonies took place. I cheered very hard for Eun(who I have a soft spot for), and I saw a lot of cute scenes. My darling got a flower crown!

Gala
- Minkyu's gala was to Human, didn't expect it to fit him but it somehow did.
- Sihyeong was so much fun. His assistants were the twins Yujae and Yuseong, and they were adorable.
- My darling did Turandot in his green shirt, and I got to see his gorgeous Ina Bauer three times total.
- Haein did Rollin' and was adorable.
- Chaeyeon brought an old SP for her gala, Exogenesis Part. 3, and she was lovely.
- Jia did a dance number and a fan on twitter said it was like seeing the school council president dancing at the talent show. I agree with that sentiment.

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
Haein was the best of the field. Chaeyeon and Minsol were the other two skates that I enjoyed. Jia skated well. However, I'm never drawn in by her performance. I don't really understand her lead. I really enjoyed Haein, Chaeyeon, and Minsol.
I just agree with this. I just don't really feel why Jia is considered so so good, especially better than Chaeyeon. Ok, backloaded jumps. But I would give Chaeyeon the world class mark for composition of her program , like ~9 when Jia has ~8.
And probably Jia's body is going to change massively so we will see. But probably I am only not so good at this to appreciate her more, I don't know.

Otherwise, if there was a bet contest , I would go for Chaeyeon in this one for sure, based on what we have seen on JGP, GP and challengers

I am especially happy for Seoyeoung Wi (international judges, see? she is just so good)

And for Minchae Kim. I folllowed her during the challenger in Europe and she was just awful, tentative, going through bad times all the time this autumn. And here... she was just briliant, although skipping 3Lz+3T combo

Special mention 1:
I would give to Haein Lee step sequence at the end of her Free skate level 5. Just call it Level 5. After she screamed after last two successful jumps (Flip and Axel) , this was just so exciting and powerful and smiley. For me, the moment of the competition.

Special mention 2:
Dabin Choi - she struggled with her return on challengers with lot of carrots. But there she skipped 3+3 combo and she was just shining. Not comparable speed nor the jump quality like younger girls, but this was just pure joy of skating.

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So how is the general interest of figure skating in Korea these days?
It is still very poor, some more people have become fans after Beijing but they mostly just love my darling.

Did this competition audience represent some pattern of Korea FS fans of this is just créme de la créme of the fans?
The latter. It was basically almost all of the Korean fans, we are a small bunch.

How much costs the ticket for this ranking competition (for normal Korean people)?
The Ranking Competition is free entrance. You usually have to pay for Nats though.

And do you think your judges are pretty strict? I think they are pretty strict comparing to Russia and so on, see the placement of Yelim and Young, but I think they still held Yelim little bit to be the third for 4CC (over Seoyeong Wi and Minchae Kim). ALthogh I am big fan of Yelim and bet her for GPF win, but in this competition I don't know .
Strict.... Hmm, I don't know. Salty, yes. Strict, sometimes? I mean, our judges are more realistic than Russian or US judges in their domestic competitions, but I can't really say they're strict. I'm too biased for our skaters to judge fairly anyway. On Yelim... I would've loved to see my beloved go to 4CC, but Yelim did have a much better short than my beloved Seoyoung did. And while Minchae had two clean skates I would give the upper hand in PCS to Yelim, she is older and has more experience and thus her skating is more refined.

Last edited: