2023-24 US Women’s Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2023-24 US Women’s Figure Skating

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Unfortunately Amber has 3axel talent and 1axel competitive nerve. Like talent, competitive nerve is something you are born with IMO. It's a shame. I suppose she could see a sports psychologist, but it really is a burden that she has never been able to overcome. It seems like every year for the last five years she posts after yet another disappointing season that she will figure out what is holding her back and she will come back stronger. Sadly, I don't think it's possible. You either have the mental fortitude to just go out there and DO it, or you don't and hope for the best.

Amber really needs to rethink her technical layout. This might sound outrageous, but I think she should consider putting two 3axels in her LP. Her first two elements. Then 3flip-3toe and 3loop-2axel-2axel. If she's going to continually bomb the second half, at least get the big point scorers out of the way. Then just do 3flip/lutz/loop/sal/toe (whatever three she chooses) solo in the second half. Her axel seems pretty consistent now. Go for two next year. She can really just focus her training on the first half of her program. It might help her nerves in competition if she really doesn't have to worry about the second half. Just NAIL the first two minutes. She needs to do something different or drastic. She should stop with the talk of figuring out why she constantly bombs, and just choose a more aggressive path in the first half. IMO.
Well I don't think she's tried the sports psych path yet so that might be worth a shot. Or as you suggested just front-loading her FS with four jumping passes with the highest value and let the rest of the program just play out (without falls at least) So much talent on several fronts she should be medaling again and again instead of this. Love her to death but I am ready to kill her.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Well I don't think she's tried the sports psych path yet so that might be worth a shot. Or as you suggested just front-loading her FS with four jumping passes with the highest value and let the rest of the program just play out (without falls at least) So much talent on several fronts she should be medaling again and again instead of this. Love her to death but I am ready to kill her.
I would be surprised if Amber Glenn, known advocate for mental health in athletes and destigmatizing the topic, who has been vocal about acknowledging her mental health struggles, and who lives in a country where sports therapy is readily available and commonplace for top-level athletes, hadn't worked with a sports psychologist, even if she hasn't explicitly said so. Sports psychologists aren't a magical fix-all. Like all forms of therapy, it takes time to work and doesn't guarantee success. However, they are an extremely valuable resource especially in times of struggle like these. I know she's just as frustrated as her fans, but unfortunately murder doesn't help her win any medals :)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I would be surprised if Amber Glenn, known advocate for mental health in athletes and destigmatizing the topic, who has been vocal about acknowledging her mental health struggles, and who lives in a country where sports therapy is readily available and commonplace for top-level athletes, hadn't worked with a sports psychologist, even if she hasn't explicitly said so. Sports psychologists aren't a magical fix-all. Like all forms of therapy, it takes time to work and doesn't guarantee success. However, they are an extremely valuable resource especially in times of struggle like these. I know she's just as frustrated as her fans, but unfortunately murder doesn't help her win any medals :)
Oy I'm out of here and on to track and field and the Olympics. I think I'll go back to being a lurker here.

labgoat

Now updating the 6.0 rewatches with new videos
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want Amber to have two programs that have music that she dreams of skating to and can get lost in. I want her to look forward to doing choreography that she loves and makes her happy. I want her to finish and think, wow is it over already? I have no particular choice in mind - the goal is for her to love skating. And satisfy that dream - the rest will follow.

Think of Kwan and East of Eden, Yamaguchi and Blue Danube, Sasha and Dark Eyes, Sarah Hughes and Ave Maria, Tara and Sense & Sensibility or Katelyn Osmond Edith Piaf, or almost any Carolina Kostner program or Katarina Witt skating to I am What I am. The programs fly by quickly and there is no time for nerves - only magical musical movement.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In her book Gracie says USFS provides all skaters with access to sports psych (I think. Really need to get searchable Kindle copy).

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I want Amber to have two programs that have music that she dreams of skating to and can get lost in. I want her to look forward to doing choreography that she loves and makes her happy. I want her to finish and think, wow is it over already? I have no particular choice in mind - the goal is for her to love skating. And satisfy that dream - the rest will follow.

Think of Kwan and East of Eden, Yamaguchi and Blue Danube, Sasha and Dark Eyes, Sarah Hughes and Ave Maria, Tara and Sense & Sensibility or Katelyn Osmond Edith Piaf, or almost any Carolina Kostner program or Katarina Witt skating to I am What I am. The programs fly by quickly and there is no time for nerves - only magical musical movement.
There's a rumor that Amber's free next season is to Evita

labgoat

Now updating the 6.0 rewatches with new videos
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm I was just thinking about Evita- but for Smart Dieck until I remembered Piper & Paul just did it.

JeanA

Rinkside
She kind of has the Evita look, sort of. Maybe she could use Madonna's Spanglish mix in there. It's not bad, at least it isn't some brooding, boring slow ballad. She should skate to something that energizes her and lifts her up.