16. Jogaile Aglinskyte 45.90
  17. Michaela Vrastakova 42.79
  18. Yelizaveta Babenko 39.07

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Just seen the results... wow.

Madeline Schizas in second place and Chaeyeon Kim ahead with a deduction?

I'm scurrying off to youtube now..

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
watched Kim Lee and You.

Kim : very nice light skating. I have a hard time not wanting to see more quirkiness in the pina section that Alaine was using for her footwork. It was really hers. This being said, I was delighted with her effortless skate.

Lee : I loved the dress. I like the program though it's a bit weird upon only one watch. The combo, lutz was a bit stiff on landing and she couldn't rotate the toe. Costly mistake for her.

You : this will surprise everyone but that was my favourite of the 3 Korean women today... Not for scores, of course, with only a 3-2 combo, she is fine where she is. However, a few years ago, I loved watching her as she was so gutsy and technically driven. Today's SP showed a mature Young You. Her style is so much more refined now. WOW! Kudos for working on other aspects of her skating in the last while to keep improving overall as an athlete. I hope she regains the 3-3 soon !

I will be going to youtube to find Schizas :)

Azikin

Medalist
Today's SP showed a mature Young You. Her style is so much more refined now. WOW! Kudos for working on other aspects of her skating in the last while to keep improving overall as an athlete. I hope she regains the 3-3 soon !
You are actually serious, right? She was painful to watch...

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I'd really like to watch this but no videos on YouTube yet. Yet another season of ISU not doing a thing to promote the events or make watching them accessible.

rain

Record Breaker
A few thoughts after watching the top 4.

Maddie looked great. Especially compared to last season. Her program is a real step up for her. Lots of cool moments, and the fierce music is perfect for her personality and skating.

Chaeyeon Kim - I felt like she needs to get lessons in how to perform jazz from Wenjing Sui stat. There's some good choreographic moves that go with the music, but she does not have a shred of jazzy feel. I wonder how much say the Korean skaters get in their musical choices.

Haein Lee - I felt the same about her, in that I really wondered if she had much choice in picking this music. I loved the step sequence at the end, and don't mind the dramatic chorus per se, but I'm not sure this is really expressing her heart. And the back half of her combo looked underrotated in real time - I haven't looked at protocols so I have no idea where the judges came down on it.

And speaking of heart, Young You's cover (of a Roxette song) rather distracted me, since they chopped up the lyrics quite a bit. Unlike the other two, this did seem like something a young woman her age might want to skate to.

Last edited:

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
I'd really like to watch this but no videos on YouTube yet. Yet another season of ISU not doing a thing to promote the events or make watching them accessible.
All the Korean women video links are in the REWATCH thread (and Maddie Schizas' in the comment) :)

But yeah, I agree that ISU should really have free stream for the Challenger series. Or at least make a package where you can get all the Challenger series with one (affordable) payment...

icewhite

Record Breaker
A few thoughts after watching the top 4.

Maddie looked great. Especially compared to last season. Her program is a real step up for her. Lots of cool moments, and the fierce music is perfect for her personality and skating.

Chaeyeon Kim - I felt like she needs to get lessons in how to perform jazz from Wenjing Sui stat. There's some good choreographic moves that go with the music, but she does not have a shred of jazzy feel. I wonder how much say the Korean skaters get in their musical choices.

Haein Lee - I felt the same about her, in that I really wondered if she had much choice in picking this music. I loved the step sequence at the end, and don't mind the dramatic chorus per se, but I'm not sure this is really expressing her heart. And the back half of her combo looked underrotated in real time - I haven't looked at protocols so I have no idea where the judges came down on it.

And speaking of heart, Young You's cover (of a Roxette song) rather distracted me, since they chopped up the lyrics quite a bit. Unlike the other two, this did seem like something a young woman her age might want to skate to.

I very much agree with you.
Chaeyeaon is probably my favourite Korean skater right now because she's different, but that program doesn't fit her. It would need a lot of atmospheric performing, but she only does a few moves to the music here and there and is otherwise mostly ignoring the music. Might be a mix of her and the choreo, but it's not working well for her I think.

Haein: There's something interesting about the music, the program could be special, but there also seems to be a disconnection sometimes and she and the program are not one. In this case it could be that it becomes better as the season goes on.

Young You: That cover was really irritating! Such a wonderful song, but it only works well with Fredriksson's voice. And this version seems cut, then it runs, then there's a harsh cut, then it runs... very weird and it doesn't develop the flow one would expect. And I had similar thoughts as you, I was wondering if maybe she picked it personally after some heart brokenness, but then it didn't seem like that at all.