2023 European: Pairs' thoughts | Golden Skate

2023 European: Pairs' thoughts

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Recap with quotes on the SP and FS

Russia has dominated (or medaled in) the Pairs' event for for nearly 70 years. With the current ban, this opened the door to new history being made, highlighting European teams that have been in the wings.

What are your thoughts on the performances? Which was your favorite and why? Which team do you feel has made the most improvement since the beginning of the season?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know these teams gave it their all. The top two teams from Italy have a good shot, or are the favorites for world bronze in light of the Canadian woman's extreme illness. paAt the same time they are unspectacular enough that another American or potentially Canadian team could take the bronze. This is the season of opportunity because of the Russians and China not competing in pairs plus Canada being weaker than normally and their top team in doubt with a serious undiagnosed illness. Italy's chances also increased with the Georgians injured too. I understand they earned their medals against the competition there but in the back of my my mind I can't help but not note no Georgians and no Russians. In general the Pairs competition was kind of a Challenger level event.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I definitely found somebody to love :love2:
More than one pair, actually.

And I know who will fix them: Aliona :)

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I know these teams gave it their all. The top two teams from Italy have a good shot, or are the favorites for world bronze in light of the Canadian woman's extreme illness. paAt the same time they are unspectacular enough that another American or potentially Canadian team could take the bronze. This is the season of opportunity because of the Russians and China not competing in pairs plus Canada being weaker than normally and their top team in doubt with a serious undiagnosed illness. Italy's chances also increased with the Georgians injured too. I understand they earned their medals against the competition there but in the back of my my mind I can't help but not note no Georgians and no Russians. In general the Pairs competition was kind of a Challenger level event.

Why Chinese teams are not competing? I thought their draconian anti-covid measures were lifted already?

Andrea82

Medalist
Why Chinese teams are not competing? I thought their draconian anti-covid measures were lifted already?
Peng/Jin are not competing so far.
The other 2 teams (Wang/Jia and Zhang/Yang) have competed at Golden Spin of Zagreb in December and they are still (at the moment) entered for 4 Continents.