A Fun Look at Dick and Peggy's Coverage of 1984! | Golden Skate

A Fun Look at Dick and Peggy's Coverage of 1984!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't really remember much from the 84 games. Scott Hamilton and Torvill and Dean were definitely the highlights. Sadly, the ladies were the biggest disappointment. I didn't love Roz or Kat that year.
I remember Witt as much stronger than she was in this performance -- I'd forgotten the doubled elements, and just remembered her overall speed and power as being better than that. For all her doubled jumps, Sumners was really flying and keeping the energy and performance up. Chin was super fun - exuberant yet very polished.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I remember Witt as much stronger than she was in this performance -- I'd forgotten the doubled elements, and just remembered her overall speed and power as being better than that. For all her doubled jumps, Sumners was really flying and keeping the energy and performance up. Chin was super fun - exuberant yet very polished.
Absolutely agree re: Chin! She was always lovely to watch; I had high hopes for her and wish she had gone further. IIRC, she is coaching now. Does that sound right?

Funny about Witt/Sumners. I remember arguing with a friend that Witt was the clear winner...but almost 40 years later, looks like Iā€™m gonna have to take that back. Oopsie! :biggrin::slink:

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
This GS thread from 2011 contains some interesting thoughts about Katarina and Debi:

Some GS members adored Kat; others....eh, not so much. What strikes me now is that Kat inspired very strong feelings on both sides: you could love her or hate her, but there was no way you could be indifferent to her. IMO, that's a major component of her magnetism and star quality. Also, both camps acknowledge her as an incredibly tough competitor, which is crucial for any elite athlete.

I was never a yuuuuge fan of her skating, but grew to respect Kat when reading/hearing interviews with her later in her career. To me, she came across as a thoughtful, intelligent person who learned how to make the most of her skating opportunities -- but who also learned a lot about herself and about life in the process. Gut gemacht, Katarina! :clap:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This GS thread from 2011 contains some interesting thoughts about Katarina and Debi:

Some GS members adored Kat; others....eh, not so much. What strikes me now is that Kat inspired very strong feelings on both sides: you could love her or hate her, but there was no way you could be indifferent to her. IMO, that's a major component of her magnetism and star quality. Also, both camps acknowledge her as an incredibly tough competitor, which is crucial for any elite athlete.

I was never a yuuuuge fan of her skating, but grew to respect Kat when reading/hearing interviews with her later in her career. To me, she came across as a thoughtful, intelligent person who learned how to make the most of her skating opportunities -- but who also learned a lot about herself and about life in the process. Gut gemacht, Katarina! :clap:
I disliked her with passion and was big time on team Liz Manley for Olympic gold in 1988 :)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tell us what you really think Dick and Peggy! :laugh2: Probably one of my favorite comments during a layback spin was "Now THAT is a sloppy foot position." But at least it helped people to have a better understanding of what to look for, even if sometimes they weren't quite as tactful as they could have been.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Tell us what you really think Dick and Peggy! :laugh2: Probably one of my favorite comments during a layback spin was "Now THAT is a sloppy foot position." But at least it helped people to have a better understanding of what to look for, even if sometimes they weren't quite as tactful as they could have been.
Back in the day, Uncle Dick was famous for his comments on layback spins. He never held back in criticizing sloppy ones but he was equally generous in praising really good ones. IIRC, he especially loved Sasha Cohen's.

Even now, I can't watch a layback without thinking of him! :biggrin: