Advice for a very out of shape returning skater | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Advice for a very out of shape returning skater

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
If it's been a while since you've been on the ice, it's normal for your feet to hurt at first. Walking around the store is not the same as being on the ice. It should go away after a few sessions. I had the same problem when I got on the ice in my figure skates for the first time in a year. And these weren't new skates, they're broken in. But after so long off the ice I was in so much pain after 15 minutes I had to get off the ice. Your feet just need to get used to skating again.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Like silver.blades said, it's normal. You have all these little muscles in your feet that you haven't used in years. Look up some exercises for arch pain and keep skating. If it persists for longer than a few weeks doing that regularly (longer if you aren't skating and exercising your feet regularly) then you might need to fix your boots. Usually, your tech can get rid of most of the pain with an orthotic and punching out/stretching the boot a bit around the toe and arch area.

macy

Record Breaker
thanks guys, yesterday i had overall less pain but still had to take a break, although without taking them off so thats good. they are punched out in the toe area and i have custom insoles, so i'm assuming i just gotta keep skating. it will come together. other than that they feel great.

Kat12

Rinkside
the only thing i'm a little bit concerned about is my arches began hurting a few minutes in to my session yesterday and i had to take a break. i got custom insoles made, so i'm not sure why they hurt. when i got fitted i wore the skates around with the stock inserts for quite a while and had no pain. i'm hoping this is just because i'm not used to skating anymore and need to get used to it. any insight on this?
Possibly just nerves. My skates fit great (and after reading of other people's travails with fit, I am so grateful for this and so terrified to ever get new boots, lol), but sometimes, especially if I'm working on a new element, my arches hurt. Why? I'm tensing up and clenching my toes. :)