Advice on finding motivation to skate | Golden Skate

Advice on finding motivation to skate

figuremon

Spectator
I’m now about to pass Basic 4. However, I’ve had a recent problem come up, mainly mentally. I keep thinking that there’s no use in skating this late if all my progress is slow. I have this problem where I beat myself up even though I managed to finally do a move right for the first time; which I don’t even celebrate. I tell myself it’s something I should’ve known anyway and continue to beat myself up.

How does one overcome their mental obstacles?
It’s like these private lessons and ice time are feeling like a waste of money

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
For context, i’m 17 turning 18 in early april. I started skating once a week in January (with rentals) and started group lessons every Saturday in February with my own skates. I also started my first private lesson this weekend on Sunday. I then skate on my own on Wednesdays. So 4-6 hours a week

I’m now about to pass Basic 4. However, I’ve had a recent problem come up, mainly mentally. I keep thinking that there’s no use in skating this late if all my progress is slow. I have this problem where I beat myself up even though I managed to finally do a move right for the first time; which I don’t even celebrate. I tell myself it’s something I should’ve known anyway and continue to beat myself up.

How does one overcome their mental obstacles? I feel as if I go down this route, I’ll lose the joy in skating and become sort of like another robotic skater who can only do moves but no emotion. I try really hard not to focus on the other skaters, but even some of the skaters in the rink do the move im working on, for example 3-turns, right in front of me as I’m trying to perfect them. It feels really downgrading and I just want to show them all that I can get on their level as fast as I can.
You may need to see a sports psychologist, they would be able to help you best with this.

Also, other skaters in the rink aren't doing 3 turns around you just to show off or make you feel bad....3 turns are kind of essential to skating.

LokiPoki

Rinkside

How does one overcome their mental obstacles?

I struggle with the more mental side of things as well. I find it hard to not get discouraged when it takes me longer than most to learn a specific skill. Right now, that's waltz jumps and I just have to be satisfied with knowing I'll get there soon.

3 turns took me a little bit to get right. I try not to pay too much attention to what others are doing, and just to focus on me. And if I'm trying to master something and it's not working, I'll practise something else for a bit then come back to it.

You will get there!

mskater93

Record Breaker
You have to focus on what you enjoy about skating. There's a reason you decided to pick up this sport in January. What is it? If you want to be competitive (which it sounds like you might since you are comparing yourself to others), you'll be eligible to compete as an adult in 3 years (at 21), so focus on making progress every day toward that as a goal.

Focus on yourself, not on others. Did *something* get better today? What did it look like last week?

People take up this sport for a variety of reason and at a variety of times in their lives. Sometimes we leave and come back. Sometimes we don't leave but check out mentally for awhile. Find reasons to fall in love with the sport every day you are on the ice.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Comparison is the thief of joy. If you're focusing on what other people are doing, then yes, there may not be a point in you continuing to skate. That would be a shame, because skating is awesome regardless of level. It sounds like you aren't feeling that way though.