Analysing JGP views - Article from Anything GOEs | Golden Skate

Analysing JGP views - Article from Anything GOEs

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I came across this newly published article from skating website Anything GOEs which analyses viewing data from the JGP series between 2011 and 2021.

https://anythinggoe.com/analysingjgpviews1121/

Some interesting takeaways:
  • Women's is by far the most viewed discipline (58.5% of views), followed by mens, ice dance and then pairs (with only 4.3%)
  • The most viewed skaters in each discipline are Alexandra Trusova, Donovan Carrillo, Panfilova/Rylov (pairs) and Yoshida/Nishiyama (ice dance).
  • The most viewed skaters overall are 1. Alexandra Trusova, 2. Donovan Carrillo, 3. Marin Honda (full top-10 is in the article)
  • 9 out of 10 of the top viewed pairs teams are Russian. The only non-Russian team is Alexandrovskaya/Windsor (Australia).
  • The countries who have viewed the most JGP content are: 1. Russia, 2. Japan, 3. South Korea. Despite not having so many skaters, Mexico and India also appear on the most viewing list!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It’s amazing that Carrillo had such following in Juniors. Good for him!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Donovan Carrillo supremacy :party2:

I realize much of that is from the Juan Gabriel program, but still... :)

Also, although I think they are "fun", the YT viewing statistics can of course be manipulated like any other social media. Still interesting to see.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

Also, although I think they are "fun", the YT viewing statistics can of course be manipulated like any other social media. Still interesting to see.
Why would anyone manipulate YT stats for a Junior GP? It sounds pretty accurate to me anyway, with no surprises tbh except Carrillo, but he could have had huge national following.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why would anyone manipulate YT stats for a Junior GP? It sounds pretty accurate to me anyway, with no surprises tbh except Carrillo, but he could have had huge national following.

I think that fans who take pride in the number of YouTube videos make certain those videos are viewed. So I shouldn't say "manipulation", but gaming the system: let's go watch the videos of our favorite junior skaters 85 times each and then use those views to say how popular our favorite junior skaters are.

Donovan does have a huge following in Latin America now, but his junior numbers come from an odd coincidence in his career: he skated a program to Mexican singer Juan Gabriel, who passed away shortly before his program:

this video has 1.8 million views:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don’t really think it’s gaming the system. I mean, I never watched anything 85 times, but because fav videos are on my running list, definitely a dozen times. I guess, someone can conceivably spend 3 years running a 3 min clip back to back, like it’s a job or put a bot on it, but that still will be about 500K… I guess?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Biggest standout for me, other than the worldwide love of Donovan Carillo :points: is Anastasia Tarakanova's appearance as the #6 top viewed woman and #8 top viewed skater overall (beating Valieva, Zagitova, Kagiyama, and Chen, among others). I don't know if that's just a matter of her spending 3 full seasons on the JGP but she had such a wild, yet captivating style on the ice and I know I haven't forgotten her.

Anyway, how do we get Junior Ice Dance viewership up? Those are consistently the most entertaining events.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Is Donovan still a junior...

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Biggest standout for me, other than the worldwide love of Donovan Carillo :points: is Anastasia Tarakanova's appearance as the #6 top viewed woman and #8 top viewed skater overall (beating Valieva, Zagitova, Kagiyama, and Chen, among others). I don't know if that's just a matter of her spending 3 full seasons on the JGP but she had such a wild, yet captivating style on the ice and I know I haven't forgotten her.

Anyway, how do we get Junior Ice Dance viewership up? Those are consistently the most entertaining events.
Anastasia Tarakanova - I contributed at least 100+ views to her đź«Ł