Are we getting close to what human body is capable of in figure skating? What's the future of the sport? | Golden Skate

Are we getting close to what human body is capable of in figure skating? What's the future of the sport?

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
We know there is a limit for what our bodies can do in a sport, talking about the jumps in figure skating I seriously don't see the quintuples as a real posibility and even if it's possible the risk for trying in competition is it worth? Should the skaters try harder elements even tho their health "which is more important" can be affected? For me ISU shouldn't take into a count quintuples in the future the quads are enough as the most impressive jumps and they should regulate the number of quads max of men and women because they already are really risky, what do you think about this?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While there may be limits on what our bodies can do in a particular sport, I'm unaware of when that begins, nor do I think it's my role to police that.

I'm not in favor of restrictions on the athletic or artistic advancements in figure skating so long as they are not pharmaceutical in nature.

There are rumors that Malinin is already working on a quint jump, and he has publicly voiced that he wants to do one. Why shouldn't he? Isn't it up to him and his team whether the health risks are worth it? Isn't that up to every skater? Every athlete in any sport, for that matter?

Elija

On the Ice
If ilia can do a quad axel, I definitely believe he can do a quint. In many ways I think quad axel would be harder than a quint sal or toe. I think anything beyond quints would be highly highly unlikely, but hey, people used to say quads were impossible. Especially as technology develops, who knows.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I mean acording to phsysics there must been a limit, the point is what's the limit? quintuples? There's still not base value for quintuples, I don't think the ISU has taking it into consideration at least until someone try it at competition, but with all the problems we already geting with the quads (especially with women), it is worth it to try even harder and risky jumps?

mskater93

Record Breaker
I mean acording to phsysics there must been a limit, the point is what's the limit? quintuples? There's still not base value for quintuples, I don't think the ISU has taking it into consideration at least until someone try it at competition, but with all the problems we already geting with the quads (especially with women), it is worth it to try even harder and risky jumps?
Funny you mention not being in the SOV - Sam Auxier sent a message to the ISU asking for a review for at least the 5T and 5S into the SOV

HumbleFan

Rinkside
One thing that strikes anyone who watches figure skating for the first time is that a person who falls, say, twice can get more points than someone who doesn't fall. That's of course because they do harder elements. So, probably, if you wanted to align figure skating with what people perceive as good skating, you should decrease the base values of the jumps. There could perhaps be a separate discipline for skating jumps?