Artistic female skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Artistic female skaters

antmanb

Record Breaker
layman said:
Surya Bonaly - though her artistry was never accepted by the ISU, being based on modern and west african dance

OK i know that people's views on aritistic is very subjective, but please, Bonaly? Really? I can't think of a single program she did that drew from influences in west african dance. I've spent some time in Cameroon and looking into african culture and art (though not specifically dance) and i can't think of a single program of Bonaly's i would say had that influence.

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
The ones I have seen, I agree - with afore mentioned - are tops!

Just about every proformance I have seen Fumie in! She could be great in acting! theater and Movies / TV. "Ichi Bon Bon!"

A couple of more "recent" that seemed not to be mentioned - but I could be wrong;
-Kostners Long pro in March 2005 - 4 continents? ( I forgot the song, you can sync it to "Rusted Root, Send me on my way" and It almost fits.
-Kirks Million dollar Baby short - 2005 nationals?
both Slightly flawed, but "artistic standouts" regardless.

On the "song sync thing," Girl, by Tori Amos (live) does fit perfect to Irina at 4 continents long program, with the black and pink heart costume. The lyrics really fit as well. First drum beat first hand out and it ends to the beat as well as getting most jumps. - strange but true

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I remember karen kwan, though I will admit I had forgotten about her until I started downloading a lot of vids from rinkside a few years ago (that killed my old pc btw).

Now if you want to see her you can search for videos on youtube.com I think there are a few from 96?

Panther2000

On the Ice
redladybug21 said:
Artisitic skaters, so many good names...
Michelle Kwan
Sasha Cohen
Lu Chen
Katia Gordeeva
Kristi Yamaguchi
Shizuka Arakawa
Maria Butryskaya
Fumie Suguri

I agree with your listing here. Just remove maria Butryskaya. Her skating was always Hard to me. Kind of forced. I would Also Ad Katt witt. But, she has alway been more of a poser than an Artistic skater. But, do like your list:rock:

Ogre Mage said:
1990s
Jill Trenary -- 1990 LP
Kristi Yamaguchi -- 1992 Blue Danube SP, 1992 Malaguena LP, Fantasy-Impromptu (Professional), Romeo & Juliet (Professional)
Lu Chen -- 1996 Rach Piano Concerto #2 LP, 1998 Butterfly Lovers LP
Oksana Baiul -- The Feeling Begins (Professional), Meditation from Thais (Professional)
Michelle Kwan -- 1996 Romanza SP, 1996 Salome LP, 1997 Taj Mahal LP, 1998 Rach Piano Concerto #3 SP, 1999 Ariane LP.
Maria Butyrskaya -- 1999 Otonal LP

2000s
Michelle Kwan -- 2001 East of Eden SP, 2003 The Feeling Begins SP, 2003 Aranjuez LP.
Sasha Cohen -- 2004 Malaguena SP, 2006 Dark Eyes SP, 2006 Romeo & Juliet LP.
Shizuka Arakawa -- 2004 Turandot LP.
Love your list, Ogre Mage. If you don't mind, how about if I just say, "Same for me"?;)

The ones I would add are, like Mathman, Kristi's "Bridge Over Troubled Water," Sasha's original black and white "Swan Lake" choreographed by Tarasova (best performed at '03 Campbell's, IMO), and Irina's "Piano Waltz" SP from the '98 OWG in Nagano.

"Piano Waltz" had a great ironic and subtle sense of humor about it, which I found completely disarming as performed by Irina. It's also very rare to see a skater do such choreography, much less do it well. IIRC, Peter Oppegard choreographed it. Irina doubled the Lutz on her opening combo, but for we're talking artistry. Also liked Irina's "Schindler's List." No story-telling. Just gorgeous interpretation of the music.

I also completely agree with your Post #11. Great examples, well said.

Rgirl

temujin

Rinkside
Jorje286 said:
That Maria Butyrskaya thread prompted me to open this thread. :)

What do you think are some of the most artistic female skaters out in competition now or in the history of the sport? What are some standount programs when it comes to artistry?

I personally love some of Lu Chen, and her "spring breeze" sp at the 96 worlds is such a beautiful work of art. Katarina Witt's "Carmen" at the 88 olympics is also a classic. It was more like a stage performance.

I agree with your choices of Chen and Witt. For me, Katarina Witt was the most versatile skater. I think it was Dick Button who said she could "skate the telephone book". There are many other artistic skaters but I would add Oksana Baiul to my top three picks.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
Love your list, Ogre Mage. If you don't mind, how about if I just say, "Same for me"?;).

Rgirl
Rgirl, I am glad we have similar program tastes because I know that you have a background in dance/choreography. I am just a state library employee who has been watching skating since 1987! :laugh:

Last edited: