Belbin and Agosto’s “Home for the Holidays” (review) | Golden Skate

Belbin and Agosto’s “Home for the Holidays” (review)

The good news: If you live in the Detroit area there is still time to make it to the Compuware Arena to catch the evening show.

The bad news: There isn’t any bad news. (No wait, that's more good news.)

OK, I just got back from the matinee of Tanith and Ben’s big benefit show for cancer treatment and research.

This was the best skating show I’ve ever been to (sorry, COI and SOI :laugh: ) The thing that impressed me most was Ben and Tanith’s ability to organize such an ambitious undertaking. They had to line up sponsorship (Meier’s Five and Dime Stores was one of the largest donors), get in the talent (well, maybe it wasn’t so hard for Tanith to convince Evan Lysacek to come ;) ), and arrange a thousand and one details that you don’t even know exist until suddenly it’s crunch time. B&A, this one’s for you: :bow:

Pre-show. I got there almost an hour early, but the parking lot was already filling up. It cost $5 to park, but I recouped my loss at the box office by getting a senior citizen discount (the cheap seats were $18 :) instead of $22).

The first person I saw was Lysacek, standing under a sign that said, “Do not stand here.” He was talking with some other people connected with the show, but a steady line of people (mostly young girls) came up for autographs and pictures. Yes, Evan is just as tall and handsome in person as he is on TV, plus he has a really nice voice.

As far as I could tell by counting rows and sections, the arena holds about 3600 fans and was about 2/3 full. I would estimate more than 2000 people. :rock: If the evening show draws as many, this will be a huge success. The afternoon crowd was mostly families with young children.

Act I

1. The full ensemble. Lots of choreography. In fact, the whole show was very well structured and well rehearsed. The theme was Christmas presents. Derick Delmore partnered Oksana Baiul sporting a cool Mohawk haircut (that is, Derick had a Mohawk :) ).

A highlight was Tanith and a little girl playing follow the leader. I think the girl was Ekaterina Shpilband, but if so she was a quick-change artist, because Ekaterina’s solo was the first act up and she had on a different costume.

2. Ekaterina Shpilband. Outstanding performance, she didn’t hold back on the tech. Great combo spins in several positions, four jumps in all, a variety of moves in the field. She was little but she skated big, filling the ice. A real talent. :rock:

3. Samuelson and Bates. Very dramatic dance. Lovely holds and extended positions, very full movement. A highlight was a cool waist high carry lift. (But they lost their edge on a hydroblade move at the end.)

Tanith and Ben then took the mic to welcome everyone and introduce the next act.

4. Detroit Skating Club. Twelve young ladies in Christmas tree dresses and four snowmen, LOL. Well-performed choreography, a highlight was a series of jumps in sequence and a spinning chorus line.

5. Four skaters in Santa Claus outfits came out to introduce the next act, a Cirque de Soleil acrobat act (non-skating). Two women acrobats did tricks on hoops suspended above the arena. The most dangerous-looking was when they hung on the hoop just by the back of their heads. An entertaining change of pace.

I believe that the circus acts and Oksana Baiul, together with the director of the show, came in a package from the recent Broadway type stage show that Oksana starred in.

6. Chock and Zuerline and Wingle and Devereaux. (I resisted the temptation to yell, “You were robbed at the Junior GP Final!” to Madison and Greg :laugh: ). A jazzy version of Baby It’s Cold Outside. Two couples in unison. Again obviously well rehearsed. Costume was outdoor winter clothes.

Ice Dance is by far the best discipline!

No, wait. Synchro!!

7. The Crystallettes. The show started with a series of block movements all around the rink before the lights came on or the music started. I think it was part of the act, but some people in the audience started shouting, “Turn on the Lights.”

Nice performance. The best move was spinning in unison. That was spectacular. Better unison than some pairs teams achieve with only two skaters.

8. Derick Delmore. Black spangly costume, rock and roll music. Amazing speed throughout, real class act. I think he did two triples and one double jump. A lot of dancy moves. Two big split jumps and a death drop into his final spin.

Tanith and Ben came out again, this time in their punk outfits, to introduce the next act.

9. Dance ensemble. A waltz performed by seven couples. Davis and White, Chock and Zuerlin, and Wingle and Devereaux were joined by Senft and Hill, Aronow and Pirogovas, Lichtman and Truesdale, and Shibutani and Shibutani.

This was my favorite act of the show. If I could dance like that, on or off the ice, I would be so stuck up I wouldn’t talk to anyone except Torvill and Dean.

10. Oksana Baiul. Swan lake. She’s still got it! Did a nice triple (?) flip (?), and a double Axel (landing a little shaky on the Axel). Lot of expressive arm movements, a graceful and dramatic program to graceful and dramatic music.

11. Belbin and Agosto. Ben came out first and played a guitar. I think he was really playing it (?) – naw, it was too good. :laugh: Then Tanith joined him and they got jiggy with Sexy Back. This is not everyone’s favorite B&A routine, but Tanith looked sexy as all get-out in her hip-hop costume (Ben, too). A highlight for me was the straight line footwork sequence.

Intermission. Zamboni guy: TES 70.23, PCS 71.98 = 141.31 :rock:

I am working on a figure skating song:

“I don’t care if you’re plump or bony,
Let's go riding on a big Zamboni…”

Act 2 to follow. :)

Last edited:

nubka

Final Flight
Hey, I like your song !!!

(And thanks for the play-by-play, I wish they would televise this show. It sounds great so far. ...)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
thanks for sharing your experince. taninth and ben are great people, but only beautiful and talaneted but can plan events better than the big shows. As for oksana landing a 3 flip.... doubting that... must have been a toe.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing. Your detailed review made me feel like I was sitting right there watching live. Glad you got a discount on your ticket (very reasonable prices I might add) age does have some benefits. lol
Can't wait for act 2.

I don’t want a puppy and I don’t want a pony,
All I want for Christmas is a big Zamboni…

Act II

A guy came out representing the hospital (Karmanos Cancer Center and Children’s Hospital of Detroit) and said a few words.

This show was quite well advertised on TV and in the newspaper. The prices were reasonable, really more in the line of a contribution. The use of the arena (home of the Plymouth Whalers hockey team) was donated, along with many other services. I believe that all of the skaters except possibly the top headliners donated their time. If all of the expenses were covered by outside sponsors and the gate is almost all profit, this event will raise a significant amount of money for cancer research. :rock:

It was billed as the “First Annual Belbin and Agosto Celebration on Ice. I am going to save my program and sell it on ebay when it gets up to the “Fiftieth Annual” show. :)

1. Arctic Figure Skating Club. Is figure skating a children’s sport? Absolutely! Girls in black cocktail dresses :love: and three boys sharp as tacks in black tuxedo pants, white shirts, and red cummerbunds and ties. Never change clothes, guys! :rock:

The song was “Christmas Eve on Woodward Avenue.” Maybe it’s not “Chicago, that toddlin’ town,” or “I left my Heart in San Francisco,” but this is is Detroit’s own special song. Woodward Avenue is the main drag of the Motor City. Santa Claus comes to town with a big parade down Woodward on Thanksgiving. And although the big downtown Hudson’s Department Store isn’t there any more :cry: , the new outdoor skating rink is.

2. Castile and Okolski, U.S. senior pairs champions. :clap: Red costumes. I did not see any sign of injury on Brooks part. They look ready for nationals. Looked like a competitive program. Good speed in pairs spin, nice height in double twist, strong throw jump (slight turn-out), good execution of side-by-side jumps, straight line footwork, attention to detail throughout, nice lassoe lift with inside-out dismount, superior death spiral.

3. Evolution Novice Team (synchro). The choreography seemed wonderful to me. (Are there standard moves in synchro, or is everything original from the get-go?) Flamingo-colored dresses, Caribbean music. Outstanding block skating, full ice coverage, exceptional speed.

There was also a “special effect.” From where I was sitting there was a reflection on the hockey glass across the way, so it looked like skating in a mirror. :)

4. Second Ensemble Dance Act. :love: This was a swing version of jingle bells and the dance was swing/jitterbug. Costumes were outdoor skating clothes. Davis and White and co. Maybe this was based on a standard CD (?), because the unison among the 7 couples was quite amazing. Good speed and flow by all couples. Ended with a flying pairs spin. I could watch this all day. :love: :rock:

At the end of the number Santa came out, threw a few goodies to the audience, stripped off his red winter dress and –

5. It was Oksana! Music was “Crazy Twist.” Lot’s of dancing, a fun number. She did a triple jump but singled her Axel. She looked like a million dollars! :)

6. The Second Circus Act. The same two acrobats as before, this time performing on drapes of fabric suspended from the ceiling (like Yagudin’s act, LOL). It was visually striking, with the deep red fabric and the perfromers’ black outfits.

After the performance, the drapes of fabric were supposed to be drawn up to the ceiling out of the way, but one of them malfunctioned and was left hanging there, all the way down to the ice. Someone had to come out and get it down by hand. :laugh:

7. Davis and White. Their Russian folk dance OD. Great costumes, him in a red coat and her in a peasant blouse and full-ish skirt. They skated with verve and attack. Outstanding footwork section with twizzles of several revolutions in both directions.

8. Ensemble number to “Sleighride.” Fun choreo, outdoor snow scene motif. Two boys did comedy against ensemble work by the ladies,. Nice set of simultaneous jumps by the whole company.

9. Lysacek. Ave Maria (tenor solo). This was the show-stopper. I think the first jump was a triple Axel. His second jump was a triple Lutz with an unusual delayed entrance (I’m not sure it was planned that way – it looked like he set up, changed his mind, took another step, and then – boom – he was in the air, almost at the boards), amazing sit/cannonball spin (+2 GOE, LOL), folowed up with a triple flip (I think). His enthusiastic footwork was perhaps somewhat out of character with the music, but was full of excitement. He ended with an energetic scratch spin (it could have had more revolutions, though).

Tremendous ovation , biggest of the night, and well deserved.

The printed program had Oksana’s second number scheduled to follow Lysacek, but they changed it up for this performance. I couldn’t help wondering if Oksana asked for the switch so she wouldn’t have to follow Evan, LOL. He was definitely the man of the hour.

10. Belbin and Agosto. A romantic dance to “Have Yorself a Merry Little Christmas, Ben in formal black, Tanith in flowing white. This is a beautiful sport. Segue into

11. Finale. Full cast, All I Want for Christmas is You (Maria Carey).

See you next year for the Second Annual Tanith and Ben Show! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
Ita

I was there at the matinee, too, Mathman, and totally agree with everything you said - though you said it much better as I'm no analyst just an avid fan with a love of skating at all levels!

Loved the size of the arena - and the homey feel it brought. Almost felt as tho' we were Tanith and Ben's guests.

Loved the inclusion of the local talent - great to give them a chance to perform when I'm thinking they don't get to do so all that often.

I was front row dead center with Evan looking right at me it seemed when he began his performance. Best seats in the house (the Harvath's were right in front of me taking pictures so they had to have been good, right?)

Anyway, Evan's first jump - I thought it was a 3A too - was landed right in front of me! Wow - what a way to start and it just got better as he went along. Have wanted to see Ave Maria live since it's introduction at the 2006 Marshalls Challenge (I think that was the place). It lived up to its debut and then some. I agree - it was the show stopper!

I thought the "snowmen" were as cute as could be and really give them kudos for being able to skate at all in those adorable costumes.

Thanks for the info on Oksana and the specialty act. I kind of wondered how they happened to be there. Added nicely to the show. Amazing - and to think they walked barefoot across that ice to get to their spots. Yipes!

My husband agrees - he thought it more enjoyable that COI too. I enjoyed both equally - just differently.

Best darned Christmas/birthday gift this girl could get!! I'm reserving tickets for next year too.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Sounds like a great show! Thanks for the review and I'm glad you had a great time. :)

nubka

Final Flight
Poinsettas are red, but I'm feeling blue,
hey, Mathman, can I go next year with you?
I've been good all year, not the least but phoney,
and I'd like to take a spin on that ol' zamboni!

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great review, great show, for a great cause! Thanks, MM. :biggrin:

Cute song, BTW :rofl:

I hope Tanith & Ben continue the tradition next year and so on. :)

emma

Record Breaker
Absolutely awesome review, thanks so much for sharing. Hanging over the ice by your head sounds way to scary for words - but the rest, WOW is all I can say. Congrats to the organizers and all the participants.

pista04

On the Ice
The saddest part: im less then 30 minutes from Compuware and didnt get to go. =[. I would have KILLED to see Castile and Okolski, my favorite pairs team ever.

I'll definitly try next year though. =]