Big and Herky | Golden Skate

Big and Herky

I love voting! It makes me feel big and herky (Herky = strong like Hercules).

All these candidates and pundits have been telling me for months. Now I get to tell them! We'll see who has the last say!! :rock:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
MM, it doesn't hurt that you're actually voting in a state that matters. I live in MA. The only reason we even see ads here is because Obama has so much money to spend, he's spending it into places like MA to reach some voters in NH and IL to reach IN.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have to say that if it weren't for satellite I wouldn't even know McCain was running (Sarah, yes, but all of the merch up here is all "GO SARAH!" with no mention of John. Kinda sad lol)

but Obama has been pushing hard for Alaska, and I have NO idea why... it's not like we can swing him a win... unless he's just trying to rack up states that vote republican just to say 'look what I can do!'

the big push from Obama's camp up here is pushing for us to elect a dem. for a senator and congressman so that Obama can get change.

now, if it was bad when we had a republican congress and president, why should I assume the same wouldn't be true of a democrat one? ;) that's just my 'politi-stupid' thought process though ;)

I voted 10 days or so ago... I'm just upset that I don't get a sticker... I always get trashed by my profs because I didn't vote...

MM, it doesn't hurt that you're actually voting in a state that matters. I live in MA. The only reason we even see ads here is because Obama has so much money to spend, he's spending it into places like MA to reach some voters in NH and IL to reach IN.
I don't think that's the right way to look at it. You might say, my vote doesn't matter because my state is going a particular way no matter what I do.

But you could say the same thing about the whole nation. Someone is going to win by more than one vote, so my vote doesn't count.

Well, I guess it doesn't. But I like to vote anyway. Take THAT, all you bozo politicians!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my vote doesn't count because ALASKA's vote doesn't count... it takes us several days to hear from all districts - even these days! - so the country has already decided by the time we call an election ;)

Even so, even so...after the election is over, you can still say, oh yeah? well I didn't vote for you, so you're not the big shot you think you are.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
are we raining on your parade, here, MM ? ;)

I am proud and honored that I get to vote. I can whine all I want, but at the end of the day my voice counts when it comes to choosing my representative and senators... and they hold more power than anyone else anyway.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We always have reminders here in CT-02 of why voting is important.

I'd swear that when they tell us "Bring a friend to the polls" we think that means "Bring a friend who votes the opposite way from you" because we often have near ties.

In 2004, we booted out our incumbent representative by 83 votes, the narrowest margin in the country, and which earned our new representative the moniker of "Landslide Joe" Courtney.

But the worst was actually the Democratic primary for one of the state senate seats. Elissa Wright was down by one vote, which triggered a manadatory recount and the attempt at counting of previously disallowed absentee ballots. There was one such ballot. As it happens, the vote was for Elissa, which made it a tie.

The state constitution at the time required a coin flip in the case of a tie. Elissa called the flip and won, and she later won the general election and became the neighboring district's state senator.

This so annoyed everyone (since you could say that nobody's vote counted) that the state constitution was changed.

Don't believe me? Here's the story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/n...bl&ex=1184644800&en=3e79a000cf8bc523&ei=5087

Little Groton even made the NYT for a change.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Hey, I do vote anyway, though I have to say that I voted Nader in '00, and I would've never done that had I lived in a swing state. But I do see my vote in presidential race rather symbolic. Now, the ballot questions are a different story. I just spent last night explaining each one to my grandmother - she wanted to know exactly what was being asked! :rock:

There are people who never vote because they feel the candidates don't care about their issues,

I very much liked McCain when he was running for nomination against Bush. Unfortunately when he got the nomination this time, he must have been advised to 'stay the course', unfortunately.

I also very much liked Hilary Clinton, but that didn't work out.

I'm not so sure the Vice Presidency will be all powerful in influencing a more learned President. Cheney's ventriloquism did win over fooling 'all the people, some of the time'. It no longer works. It took some time and thousands of innocent people who were killed in the search for oil and huge profits for Haliburton. Most of the people just got tired of the lies.

I think Palin got excessive razzing which she didn't deserve, but I think Joe Biden will be a great help to a new President.

The choice is easy: OBAMA