Blades for a Pre-Novice skater | Golden Skate

Blades for a Pre-Novice skater

Aryel

Rinkside
Hi, I’m wondering if I can get an advice on blades for my daughter. She is 14 years old, 5 feet tall light weight skater. She can do all double jumps except for double axel and currently working on double axel and triples.

She’s been using Eclipse Quantum for more than two years and I think drag pick is already half the size it used to be. So I the blades must be replaced. Back in June, I had her use Apex Elite based on a local skate shop’s advise, but she hated it! She told me she couldn’t find a sweet spot for a spin and also cannot do steps as the drag pick bothers her. So I had to switch back to the old Eclipse Quantum.

I am meeting with a skate technician from Japan to discuss her option for blades next week and also planning to have him mount the Elite blades to determine the cause of the blades not working for her. Without seeing her, One of his guesses is that her old blades are too worn down that she may experience some adjustment period with any new blades. Alignment could be off.

After researching more about Elite blades, I started to think they are not for her due to having a bigger drag pick. She is also not used to 8’ rocker. I’m thinking of MK Gold Star or Matrix Nova but I heard they have higher stanschion that I’m not sure if it’s something she can get used to. Another option is MK Phantom though it’s toe pick might be too aggressive.

any suggestions?

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hm, take anything I say with a grain of salt as I'm not advanced enough to have skated on any of these blades myself 😅 But from what I've read and from what skaters I know have said, I believe the Phantom's pick is not quite as aggressive as the Pattern 99's (which is what the Apex Elite is modeled after) - so I wouldn't rule that one out. What I'm not sure about is how much of a difference there is in stanchion height between the Gold Star and the Quantum/similar blades. With so few options for advanced blades with 7' rockers, it's probably going to have to come down to which is the less jarring adjustment for her - though, that being said, the tech is definitely right that any blade is likely to feel like a big adjustment compared to a worn-out one.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I've never had a problem going from lower to higher stanchions and can highly recommend the MK Gold Stars, especially if she wants help with spinning. Absolute spinning machines and I loved them.

silverlily1

On the Ice
I've never had a problem going from lower to higher stanchions and can highly recommend the MK Gold Stars, especially if she wants help with spinning. Absolute spinning machines and I loved them.
I went from struggling to get 5-6 rotations on Aspire XP to easily getting 8-9 on Gold Stars.

Aryel

Rinkside
Hm, take anything I say with a grain of salt as I'm not advanced enough to have skated on any of these blades myself 😅 But from what I've read and from what skaters I know have said, I believe the Phantom's pick is not quite as aggressive as the Pattern 99's (which is what the Apex Elite is modeled after) - so I wouldn't rule that one out. What I'm not sure about is how much of a difference there is in stanchion height between the Gold Star and the Quantum/similar blades. With so few options for advanced blades with 7' rockers, it's probably going to have to come down to which is the less jarring adjustment for her - though, that being said, the tech is definitely right that any blade is likely to feel like a big adjustment compared to a worn-out one.
Thank you, Phantom seems to be pretty good blades, so I won’t rule them out. We will be meeting the tech at a rink so that he can see how my daughter skates. He can probably tell us which one will likely work better with her.

Aryel

Rinkside
Thank you for your advice! Would higher stanschions help her achieve deeper edge? Her coach tells me her edges are flat and she needs improvement in that area as well.

I’m also wondering if she can transition well from her Quantum to Gold Star. While Quantum allows up to triple jumps, its toe pick is much smaller. Would it be something that she needs to get used to if she wants to move to more advanced blades?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
With the way the Phantoms are shaped I would say it's a no for now. Definitely have her try Gold Star.

Aryel

Rinkside
With the way the Phantoms are shaped I would say it's a no for now. Definitely have her try Gold Star.
Thank you for your advice. Out of my curiosity, what feature of Phantom do you think that makes it not suitable for her now? I definitely do not want to over blade her if she’s not ready for certain blades. Elite was an expensive lesson.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes but not to the degree that the phantom is, It has a specially designed tighter radius section. Seriously, I would never suggest a Phantom to a skater unless they are doing triple triples and are a footwork genius.

Last edited:

Aryel

Rinkside
Yes but not to the degree that the phantom is, It has a specially designed tighter radius section. Seriously, I would never suggest a Phantom to a skater unless they are doing triple triples and are a footwork genius. It also has a specially designed tighter radius section.
Thank you, I very much appreciate your opinion. Have a great evening.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I agree with @Ic3Rabbit on the Phantoms. I loved them but your daughter will have an easier time transitioning to Gold Star. And yes, the higher stanchions will help her achieve deeper edges. She probably won't even notice the height so don't mention it. ;)

Aryel

Rinkside
I agree with @Ic3Rabbit on the Phantoms. I loved them but your daughter will have an easier time transitioning to Gold Star. And yes, the higher stanchions will help her achieve deeper edges. She probably won't even notice the height so don't mention it. ;)
Hi WednesdayMarch,
Thank you for answering my question 😊 Not mentioning about the height to my daughter is probably the best way 😂

When my daughter gets the new blades, I will come back here and report on how they are.