Boot advice for adult for learning axel? | Golden Skate

Boot advice for adult for learning axel?

nicole17

Spectator
Hi all!

I apologize if this is repetitive. I feel like I’ve read every post regarding boot advice and it has only left me more concerned.

I am 22yo adult and I have been skating (a mix of adult group lessons and private lessons) for about 8 months now. I skate about 3 times a week. When I started, I was eager to be out of rental skates, went to a pro shop, and was fitted in a Jackson Evo. I am small (~100lbs) and these were comfortable and have held up fine for me.

I am currently landing all single jumps but axel, and was noticing my boots loosening up after about 10 minutes on the ice, and constantly having to retie them in order to maintain heel lock and side to side stability. My coach has noticed and said that I with the jumps I am doing I should at least go up a notch in stiffness (I guess this would be the Elle).

I then went back to (a different) fitter who said my boots don’t look quite broken down yet, but are actually half a size too big. When I bent my knees in them, though, he said they were too soft for me and affirmed that I will need to upgrade soon with the skills I am doing. He suggested looking at the Freestyle for my next skate.

I am just a bit concerned as I had heard mixed advice about working on my axel in them. I’ve seen some people say for adults to go up another step in stiffness, and worry less about overbooting, but being on the smaller side, am not sure if that’s really needed. Another skater at my rink recommended replacing the blade on the Freestyle, if I did go with that, so that has been a concern for me as well.

Because of this, my fitter let me try on a pair of Debuts, which actually somehow felt softer than the Freestyles, but they didn’t have my size in stock so I wasn’t sure if that was actually how they would feel. Unfortunately, it seems the Debuts are on backorder for a few months, so I was planning on going back to try on the Premieres, and then deciding between those and the Freestyle.

I was just hoping for a sanity check, as I will be spending quite a bit of money and am hoping for my next pair of skates to last me longer than the first. Am I being overeager to get into a pair of “better” skates?

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I’m an adult working on my axel and I would recommend premiere or there is a new model just coming out called the synergy that is around the same level. I honestly wouldn’t feel comfortable lower than that.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I think you should be fine in the Debut in you can get them as they are really very strong boots. I wouldn't recommend the Freestyle for an adult learning Axel, although most of the adults at my rink seem to wear them. You'd definitely need to swap the blade for something better. The Premiere is the highest you should go. No way do you need something rated 75+, like the new Synergy.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi welcome! You could do a Synergy Elite which is only a 60 stiffness rating and should be perfect or Premiere 2800. That is, if you are truly a Jackson foot. Has the pro fitter told you what brands would be best or did you just get whatever brand initially to be out of rentals? This helps me help you.
You may be able to try a Risport Electra rated 45 for singles and doubles. Just know that all brands are different with stiffness ratings.

Good luck!

treblemakerem

On the Ice
No way do you need something rated 75+, like the new Synergy.
There are two different synergy models with different ratings. One of them is stiffer, the less stiff one is rated similar to premiere, that is the one I was referring to, I probably should have specified.

Edit: I just checked it is the synergy elite (as opposed to the pro) it is rated 60 stiffness so slightly lower than premiere

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
There are two different synergy models with different ratings. One of them is stiffer, the less stiff one is rated similar to premiere, that is the one I was referring to, I probably should have specified.

Edit: I just checked it is the synergy elite (as opposed to the pro) it is rated 60 stiffness so slightly lower than premiere
Oh, in that case...!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The Synergy elite was the first boot I suggested them LOL!