Carol Heiss, The Coach | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Carol Heiss, The Coach

milanessa

Rinkside
Joe,

I've never seen the movie (note to self - find it :laugh: ) but Belita Jepson-Turner skated competitively for Great Britain and was 16th at the 1936 Oly's. Apparently she was also in other films (at least 2 of Sonja Henie's) but that was all I noted down quickly.

gerry

gkelly said:
Sure, there was no televised skating in the 1920s and 30s, but there were American female skaters before that, including Olympic medalists Theresa Weld Blanchard, Beatrix Loughran, and Maribel Vinson.
Just because we didn't see them skate doesn't mean that they didn't influence those who came afterward, for instance by pushing the technical and artistic potentials of skating to the limits that existed in their day.
I adore your nitpicking everything I write.lol Having said that since you are obviously older than me can you tell us about Blanchard, Loughran and Vinson? I would be interested. :agree:

Joe

milanessa said:
Joe,I've never seen the movie (note to self - find it :laugh: ) but Belita Jepson-Turner skated competitively for Great Britain and was 16th at the 1936 Oly's. Apparently she was also in other films (at least 2 of Sonja Henie's) but that was all I noted down quickly.gerry

Oh, I'm so happy someone knows of Belita. My old friends at the rink who all were wannabees used to talk about Belita and her extensions. In that movie Suspicion, she does a split jump (perfectly split) through a hoop of knives. It's a hoot. I'd love to get a copy of that. Amazon does not have it. Yes, she did make other skating movies with her starring. I didn't know she was with Sonia in the movies. Probably in the chorus. BTW, she made non skating films for a while too. She was in the movie about Louis Latrecq. I don't know the name of it. Maybe Moulin Rouge l.

Joe

gkelly

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I adore your nitpicking everything I write.lol Having said that since you are obviously older than me can you tell us about Blanchard, Loughran and Vinson? I would be interested. :agree:

Joe

Yeah, and I was a big fan of St. Lydwina in her day too. Killer outside edge. ;-)

As a copyeditor and an academic, I just cringe at imprecise writing and imprecise history.

Try to find a copy of the first Magic Memories on Ice video, or the HBO special on the history of ladies' figure skating, I think it was called Reflections on Ice, for some clips, which is all they offer of Albright's or Heiss's skating either.

treeskater

Rinkside
I am glad to know that there are still some people that appreciate what skaters contributed prior to the advent of TV ---Belita was ahead of her time. She was in 5 or 6 movies and you can see her skating talent progress. Lori Nichol always uses her film as an example. There were others like duBief and other non-olympic greats, especially in the early show days.

I still say there needs to be a central museum for the history of skating - not tucked away in the mountains and no one to catalog all the marvelous footage, etc. We history buffs are dwindling....

S

SkateFan4Life

gkelly said:
Yeah, and I was a big fan of St. Lydwina in her day too. Killer outside edge. ;-)

As a copyeditor and an academic, I just cringe at imprecise writing and imprecise history.

Try to find a copy of the first Magic Memories on Ice video, or the HBO special on the history of ladies' figure skating, I think it was called Reflections on Ice, for some clips, which is all they offer of Albright's or Heiss's skating either.

I've viewed my copy of 'Magic Memories on Ice" numerous times, as well as my videotape of "Fire on Ice". Both clips showed the great American Olympic and World champions Tenley Albright and Carol Heiss. As the programs stated, Albright was a more classical skater, with graceful extensions and a great sense of musicality. Heiss was a strong, athletic skater who pushed the envelope for her day, technically speaking. They were friendly rivals - the artist and the athlete - and they were outstanding champions.

I still hope to see Carol Heiss coach a World or Olympic champion some day.
Her students are learning from one of the greatest skaters of all time.

gkelly said:
Yeah, and I was a big fan of St. Lydwina in her day too. Killer outside edge. ;-)As a copyeditor and an academic, I just cringe at imprecise writing and imprecise history.Try to find a copy of the first Magic Memories on Ice video, or the HBO special on the history of ladies' figure skating, I think it was called Reflections on Ice, for some clips, which is all they offer of Albright's or Heiss's skating either.

Without flaunting my degrees and my wide international experience, I can honestly say my life goes beyond figure skating history.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
Without flaunting my degrees and my wide international experience, I can honestly say my life goes beyond figure skating history.

Joe

You write words of wisdom, Joe. Always fair, balanced, steady-as-he-goes, and you back up your writing with a tremendous knowledge of figure skating, for which we are all grateful. :biggrin:

By the way, my life extends far beyond figure skating, too. I'm sure all of the posters on this message board have busy, active, and full lives. We just enjoy visiting this board on a regular basis!