Choosing skates as a heavier adult beginner in a city without a fitter. | Golden Skate

Choosing skates as a heavier adult beginner in a city without a fitter.

Chellybeans

Spectator
Hello!

I'm a little nervous posting this due to my age and inexperience, but here goes.

I'm a 27 year old female adult complete beginner. I have skated recreationally a couple of times a year since childhood, but nothing more than that. After wanting to do it for years, I've finally decided to get some proper lessons, and to really enjoy skating as a sport.

I'm looking to buy my own skates, but there are a couple of obstacles I'm facing and I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I live in an Australian city where there are literally no physical shops to buy ice skates and get fitted properly, so I was advised by the ice arena to buy online in other states. The problem I'm facing is not only the fact that I can't do an in person fitting, but I'm also tall (177cm/5'10) and on the heavier side (around 80kg/180 lbs).
I'm concerned that because of my size I may need something a bit more supportive, but I don't want to get something that is too advanced and stiff for me either.

Basically I have no idea where to start. What do you recommend?

Thank you so much! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
HI and welcome! how about you let us know where in Australia and many of us know where you can go, you may have to travel.
After that, I can definitely suggest as can a few others. :)

Elija

On the Ice
Hi, there are a couple of options in Melbourne if you’re willing to travel, or Skater’s edge in NZ do virtual fittings if you really can’t travel - many Australians use this, and they stock a large variety of brands and sizes.

twirlygirly

Spectator
Hello!

I'm a little nervous posting this due to my age and inexperience, but here goes.

I'm a 27 year old female adult complete beginner. I have skated recreationally a couple of times a year since childhood, but nothing more than that. After wanting to do it for years, I've finally decided to get some proper lessons, and to really enjoy skating as a sport.

I'm looking to buy my own skates, but there are a couple of obstacles I'm facing and I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I live in an Australian city where there are literally no physical shops to buy ice skates and get fitted properly, so I was advised by the ice arena to buy online in other states. The problem I'm facing is not only the fact that I can't do an in person fitting, but I'm also tall (177cm/5'10) and on the heavier side (around 80kg/180 lbs).
I'm concerned that because of my size I may need something a bit more supportive, but I don't want to get something that is too advanced and stiff for me either.

Basically I have no idea where to start. What do you recommend?

Thank you so much! :)
Hi Chellybeans, have you contacted umelt.com.au, SA store mostly online but tons of experience.

Chellybeans

Spectator
Hi Chellybeans, have you contacted umelt.com.au, SA store mostly online but tons of experience.
I emailed them but heard nothing back, so I ended up going with Skaters Edge in NZ with a virtual fitting. I was recommended Risport Royal Pros in a 265 B width which I have since bought :)

I'm having problems with my left big toe pushing up against the tip of my boot when standing/walking/skating, which is causing pain at the moment (I have Egyptian feet). I was worried the boot was too small but apparently this will get better when the boots are broken in, they said. I've only used them on the ice for just over an hour so far. Fingers crossed they feel more comfortable soon, but it was such a nice feeling to finally have my own skates!

Thank you so much everyone for your help!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I emailed them but heard nothing back, so I ended up going with Skaters Edge in NZ with a virtual fitting. I was recommended Risport Royal Pros in a 265 B width which I have since bought :)

I'm having problems with my left big toe pushing up against the tip of my boot when standing/walking/skating, which is causing pain at the moment (I have Egyptian feet). I was worried the boot was too small but apparently this will get better when the boots are broken in, they said. I've only used them on the ice for just over an hour so far. Fingers crossed they feel more comfortable soon, but it was such a nice feeling to finally have my own skates!

Thank you so much everyone for your help!
If they don't budge in that spot after some hours skating, your tech should be able to bake them for you and stretch that point out to make them more comfortable.

scottie99

Rinkside
First off, adult and larger skaters are COMPLETELY okay!! Never feel embarrassed or like you don't fit in! It's pretty hard to go wrong with Jackson and Riedell skates, to be honest, especially for a beginner. You are correct, you will ideally want something a bit stiffer than the typical beginner skater, but you don't want to go too high. My recommendations, without knowing anything about your skating level, foot type, preferences, etc, would be the Jackson Elle or Riedelle Emerald Again, nothing is better than a custom fitting with a skate tech who knows you and your feet, but these would be my recommendations. I personally skate in Edea, but they are SO hit or miss, that I am hesitant to recommend them to you. However, if you really want to know, I would recommend the Overture boot. I have no experience with any other brand, but this doesn't mean other boots aren't good. I hear Risports and Grafs can be good skates too...I just know nothing about them.

As for blades, stick with something your level! Jackson Aspire XP is always a pretty good beginning blade. Most of the boots I recommended though, come with a blade, and that blade is usually suitable for that boot. But if for some reason, you must buy them separately, the Aspire would be my recommendation.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
First off, adult and larger skaters are COMPLETELY okay!! Never feel embarrassed or like you don't fit in! It's pretty hard to go wrong with Jackson and Riedell skates, to be honest, especially for a beginner. You are correct, you will ideally want something a bit stiffer than the typical beginner skater, but you don't want to go too high. My recommendations, without knowing anything about your skating level, foot type, preferences, etc, would be the Jackson Elle or Riedelle Emerald Again, nothing is better than a custom fitting with a skate tech who knows you and your feet, but these would be my recommendations. I personally skate in Edea, but they are SO hit or miss, that I am hesitant to recommend them to you. However, if you really want to know, I would recommend the Overture boot. I have no experience with any other brand, but this doesn't mean other boots aren't good. I hear Risports and Grafs can be good skates too...I just know nothing about them.

As for blades, stick with something your level! Jackson Aspire XP is always a pretty good beginning blade. Most of the boots I recommended though, come with a blade, and that blade is usually suitable for that boot. But if for some reason, you must buy them separately, the Aspire would be my recommendation.
NO ELLE FOR An adult larger skater who will NEED A stiffer than usual boot. NOT A 25 stiffness rating that will buckle and NOT properly support them at all-----INJURY for sure will occur and then they won't be skating.

OP---you need at least a premier boot if going with Jackson, based on what fitter says your foot is best with brand wise.