Dick's Comment: Michelle As A Dancer | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dick's Comment: Michelle As A Dancer

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Back from Lurking...

Hi all!
After a brief stint as an active poster, which at the time abruptly ended when I was insulted by a poster (one not worth mentioning by name, though I haven't forgotten) who took my reading of commentator bias to mean that I don't understand English (my sole language of education, mind you, and truly my native tongue--sorry, I had to register that gripe before rejoining all you noninsulting posters:)), I went back to lurking, having decided that it wasn't worth the feeling of insulted indignation when I couldn't have it out with this guy and explain that my mastery of the language of Shakespeare had ceased to be an issue, oh, a good 20 years ago:\ at any rate, to get back on topic, this was definitely the post that was to draw me back into the forum, even though I have been avidly and excitedly following the skating season and keeping up to date on all the goings-on through your posts--thanks, by the way, for all the informative and entertaining posts!
Onto the subject of dance sensibility in skaters, it's interesting that one of you mentioned Sasha not quite capable of performing with that "abandon"; it's an impression I've often shared, with the exception of her Olympic SP (sentimental waltz, i believe?)--at least that's the last time in recent memory (though, to be honest, I hadn't seen anything else from her before SLC 2002) that I saw a connected, free flowing program, rather than a succession of admittedly impressive moves. My question is, WHY is that? We're all familiar with what is perceived as Sasha's intense obsession with winning, the one that sabotages her very efforts to do, or so the theory goes...I'm not speaking to offend any particular "camp" of people committed to lauding her every step or those who'd rather tear her down; rather, I'm wondering what it is that has happened in her skating that makes it seem, to me, at least, IMHO, disjointed at times, like she's going through many, very impressive motions rather than going with one expressive idea and yielding to it, come what may. Also, I'm fascinated with skaters who possess that natural, innate lyrical quality without obviously having had to work at it, those who, to borrow a term from RGirl (one of my favorite posters!--and one whose input in response to my 2 cents on Sasha I'd love to hear) WERE "wired" that way, so I thought I'd list a few of my own:
Sarah M's list of "naturals" in the dance sensibility & MUSICALITY dept. (oops--forgot to mention; I'm a musician and an amateur Afro-Cuban/Brazilian dancer--loads of dances of the non-European variety to consider when discussing dance, btw--, so in watching skating, I tend to prefer a cohesive musical idea expressed in one fluid, extended motion, so to speak (take Oksana's Swan Lake, Lulu's Butterfly Lovers or Rach, or M&D's Rach at the 94 Olympics), by the skater, which is why choice of music particularly sways me one way or the other regarding a particular program--take Fumie Suguri's SP, for example; I adored the music and felt she rendered it very well, even though she hasn't been my favorite skater)--but I digress, OFTEN;-) anyway, my list:
1. Lu Chen & Oksana Baiul (breathtaking musicality and dance sensibility)
2. Artur Dmitriev & Natalia Mishkutenok/Elena Berezhnaia & Anton Sikharulidze (ditto--the flow and majesty of the choreography of both pairs, also Anton w/ Kazakova later on, their ability to break the mold of your standard, dull as dishwater pairs routine consisting of a laundry list of elements and little or no creative ways to relate to each other)

I have more, I'm just obsessed with these skaters at the moment, as you can tell! Oh, Shen and Zhao's Nutcracker was another gem! I'm DYING to see Yukina Ota, from all I've heard on the posts; unfortunately those 12 hour videos of the LP's from Japanese Nats are gone---if ANYONE has any idea how I can go about getting footage of Ms. Ota, PLEASE HELP!

Hope this excessively long post ensures me a warm welcome back into the fold:laugh:
Sarah M.

A welcome with open arms, Sarah. I don't think anyone will dare to say anything about your command of language after that!, LOL.

Mathman

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Hey Sarah, I'm glad to see that you are back. Don't let the nasty people run you off again! They usually don't stay long and if they do they usually aren't taken very seriously. Anyway, I thought that was a nice explanation (in English and everything!). As for as Sasha is concerned, that lack of a cohesive flow has always been my major gripe. Certainly, she does have beautiful flow, but there is something missing. There is passion in her skating but it seems labored at times, manufactured unconvincingly for the moment. I also think there was a more natural feeling in her 2002 Olympic SP that hasn't really appeared in quite that same manner since. I believe that if she can get past the inconsistent streak and calm her nerves, she'll eventually let it all go and show us something like her Salt Lake City technical program.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
I'm no dancer but...

Okay, I'm going to preface this with a slightly silly story about my dance experience. When I was in school- I went back to study exercise physiology and eventually got a master's in health behavior- I taught aerobics, and always loved to have fun with it, slightly dancey moves. One day, one of the participants came up to me and asked if I had any dance background. This took me off guard, and my answer was "Just years on the disco floor!"

So, anyway, I'm no dancer, but I think I saw some of what many of you have mentioned regarding Michelle. For me it is something transcendent- beyond just technique. Reading your posts I was reminded of something I saw last year at nationals.

It was the day before the free skate, and we were watching the ladies FS practice. (If you've never seen a practice, 6 ladies are on the ice, and they play each skater's music in turn. While that music is playing, that skater sort of has the "right of way", but everyone else is still out there skating.) I can't remember who's music was playing, but all of the sudden we saw MK stop and assume what could only be her starting position (we'd seen it several times already). She then did a complete run through, start to finish, not holding back anything, of her entire long program. It was unbelievable. I mean, riveting. You could not take your eyes off her. She was living her program and her music, not just counting it out, but feeling every measure, and bringing you along for the ride. You could nearly hear it out of her body and movements. REALLY!

So I think people may call it different things, but that for me showed me that she was a dancer/artist. Of course, I also think it shows what a tough competitor she is...

guinevere

Final Flight
re: Joesitz' last post

Hey Joe -

Thanks for your insights! I always appreciate your comments on dance when they creep onto the board. Your wealth of knowledge in really amazing!

guinevere

shine

Record Breaker
What an insightful thread!

I am no expert in dancing but to me the idea of dance is pretty simple: movement to music, regardless of any genre.
Actually, I don't think either Sasha or Michelle could be called dancers.
Sasha has the extension of any ballarina, but a ballarina is, first and foremost, a dancer, which is not just about extension. For example, her arms move in a very generic way (sometimes even stiff) while a ballarina's arms would be very fluid and the most expressive. Sasha strikes stunning positions throughout her performance, but I don't get the feeling of her moving in a fluid, dynamic way in which the movement is innately governed by the beat and tension of the music; the way of moving which I see in skaters who I consider dancers. And it appears to me that Sasha only knows about rigid extension but is clueless when the music demands softness and lyricism in movment. As as poster has said before, "there's no curve in her skating". There's only straight vertical lines.
Obviously, Sasha knows how to present a program and knows all the techniques of drama, and is very aware of the position of her body, but I don't get the sense of a seamless line that links one move with another. I don't get a sense of "flow" or lightness in her movement. Dance is about movement, so quite frankly and simply, I think she looks better in still photographs than on video tapes.

And Michelle, she is the best athlete of the sport, and I admire her determination and her materful skills, but she's no dancer. Sometimes she can emote like no other in programs like EOE, Winter etc, but to me this is all on a more personal level rather than artistic level. I don't think she has th innate musciality that defines a dancer. And recently she's looking more and more like a technician than artist. I do agree that shes' moving in a much freer way than before in that her wrists don't bend in an unnatural and superficial way when she strokes or does a spiral, but there lacks an "artsty" (LOL) feeling as well as a "vulnerability" in her way of moving.

Last edited:
A "vulnerability" in the way she moves! But that's just what she has. When Michelle skates you just want to rush out onto the ice and shout, "I'll slay the dragons for you, Michelle!"

Mathman

rtureck

Final Flight
Mathman said:
A "vulnerability" in the way she moves! But that's just what she has. When Michelle skates you just want to rush out onto the ice and shout, "I'll slay the dragons for you, Michelle!"

Mathman

Mathmann

Your friend MuS

http://www.fantasiescometrue.com/PVC/PVCIMAGES/pmushu.jpg

has a message for you

MuS said you are no

http://art.towerrecords.com/coverart.asp?S=2591204&X=178&Y=178

Oh Yeah slay dragons? Learn how to slay the (track 2) first
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2591204

Last edited:

rtureck

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Mushu, I've got my halberd sharpened, but there aren't any

http://toyscollectibles.allinfo-about.com/features/trolls.jpg

on this board.

Mathman

Mathman

http://www.fantasiescometrue.com/PVC/PVCIMAGES/pmushu.jpg

sends this (track 7) to you

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2787542

He said you will never be able to track down any dragons with the sleeping potion he sent you.

PS
Back to topic somewhat: I look for skaters who can create masterpieces. This athletic and artistic process is not about moving like a dancer. You gotta have heart :)

Last edited: