Disney College Program | Golden Skate

Disney College Program

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Has anyone ever participated in the program? Or do we have members that are currently / will be soon ????

I am really interested in it, but there are so many factors that make me sit back and go hmmm :scratch: the pay is 6.40 an hour to start with a promise of 30-45 hours per week but that is very low from what min. wage is here in Alaska(it's something like 8+ bucks up here, I think, could be a bit more). And the fact that it's a butt load of money just for me to get down there, I'm just not sure

however looking on teh site, with my major I could go from interning in the parks to going into a different program later on and interning with ESPN (though I'm sure that's even harder to get into than the park program lol).

so I dunno LOL

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I have some friends who did a semester in the disney internship program. They had a blast but were a little dismayed at their job responsibilities. A fraternity brother of my boyfriend who was a super smart very succesful business major found himself cast in the role of "Hercules" walking around the parks taking pictures with kids. He said it was really fun, had a mini relationship with an intern who played Jasmine... but overall it was not the Disney experience they had promised. Apparently the accomodations are very affordable so the pay will be enough for you to sustain a nice lifestyle. Cost of living is not as high as in alaska, but traveling to and from the job is something to consider.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Thanks for the info

I know that the first time out that it's just playing in the park and all that... but it can lead to bigger and better things in the advanced program

here's the website if anyone wants to see what the heck I'm talking about lol
http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/disneycollegeprogram/

did your friend do Disney Land or Disney World?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Tonichelle

I participated in the Disney intern program during my senior year in college & I will be totally honest... It sucked. The pay sucked. The rules sucked. It was a total waste of four months of my life and being in Orlando is not nearly as much fun as you'd think... But having said that, it looks GREAT on a resume!:eek:hwell:

Interns fell into two catergories... those that loved it & those that hated it... there was no middle ground while "working for the rat." Obviously, I felt into the "hate" crowd... It also gave me a better perspective on Nancy Kerrigan's comments once I started my internship...

Here's the details...

1. Disney has rules regarding EVERYTHING... and will fire you for ANYTHING... I know a girl who was fired for eating a piece of candy during a 16 hour shift before she had an opportunity to pay for it.

2. Disney breeds conformity... we all looked alike to the point where it was disturbing... regardless of race, culture, etc. you need to be prepared for everyone looking like they were cast for a Coke commerical... true proof that diveristy is more than skin color.

3. I spent four months hawking overpriced t-shirts outside the Pirates ride & answering this question: "What time does the 3 o'clock parade start?"

4. The management training program is more about slave labor in the parks (the average college program student makes $6 an hour but residents make closer to $10) and less about learning the "Disney Way."

5. But its fun... in a not so great use of your college intern credit time. I partied way too much & didn't learn a thing about leadership or management.

If you are looking to have fun & get away from home for awhile and the above doesn't bother you, then I'd suggest you go & have a great time. The honor is in making past the interview to claim a spot (over 45,000 students apply, but only 3000 are selected). However, if you're doing it to get an in at ESPN, then I'd suggest interning at a local TV station or one in Orlando/LA and then applying to ESPN if that's the way to get to that organization.

I hope this insight helps... Sorry to be so negative, but I'm still bitter about the experience... even though I know I should let it go!