EDEA Boot Sizing Suggestion (Piano Vs. Ice Fly) | Golden Skate

EDEA Boot Sizing Suggestion (Piano Vs. Ice Fly)

nkhour1

Spectator
Hi everyone. I'm new here.
Quick backstory. I have been in what turned out to be not the best fitting Jackson Elite boot for my feet, for 3.5 years. It's gotten to the point where I can't skate in them and my feet feel like they're swimming in them. Before these I was in Ridells that were too long too.

I used to wear an 8 but now usually a 7.5 US in street shoes.

I was skating in 7.5 (don't know the width) Jackson's on 9.75 Coronation Aces with Yellow Superfeet insoles. I never quite liked the bulk of these boots and they bother me more than ever now because they're big. I am still scarred from the blisters on my inner heels they gave me from breaking in.

Does anyone feel a great difference in the padding/size of boot after skating in EDEA for a while? I worry these will end up feeling big after some time like my Jackon's did. I'm just paranoid as every boot I have had so far was not fitted well to my feet.

What do you feel is the difference between the Ice Fly fit and Piano fit overall?

** I no longer need advice on this ** thanks!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone. I'm new here.
Quick backstory. I have been in what turned out to be not the best fitting Jackson Supreme boot for my feet, for 3.5 years. It's gotten to the point where I can't skate in them and my feet feel like they're swimming in them. Before these I was in Ridells that were too long too.

I used to wear an 8 but now usually a 7.5 US in street shoes.

My feet are measuring about 248mm long, 91mm across the ball, and close to 60mm across the heel.

I was skating in 7.5 (don't know the width) Jackson's on 9.75 Coronation Aces with Yellow Superfeet insoles. I never quite liked the bulk of these boots and they bother me more than ever now because they're big. I am still scarred from the blisters on my inner heels they gave me from breaking in.

I was recently sold 250 B Ice Flys that were too cramped and thankfully I was able to return them even after trying to stretch or mold the toe box. I went to a different fitter, and was offered a 255C size and he had the piano in stock. He told me I have a narrower heel but not enough for a B width boot and that 250 would be too small as I am just under 250mm. The Piano felt pretty similar to the ice fly and am leaning toward it with a 9.5 blade.

Does anyone feel a great difference in the padding/size of boot after skating in EDEA for a while? I worry these will end up feeling big after some time like my Jackon's did. I'm just paranoid as every boot I have had so far was not fitted well to my feet.

Do you recommend the 250C or 255C boot? I may order something in regardless (my fitter is 2hrs north).

What do you feel is the difference between the Ice Fly fit and Piano fit overall?

Thanks!
Hi and welcome! First of all, are you supposed to even be in boots that are that stiff? If yes, then I'd really find a new fitter, we could help you find a better one if you let us know where you are in the world. It sounds like you should have never been in a Jackson to begin with, and was that more than one pair of jackson you wore over 3.5 years? or the same boots, b/c if so that's a problem in itself. Your foot sounds too narrow for a jackson, riedell should have been fine if they would have put you in the right length. Edea should work for you and ice fly and piano are pretty similar, but the bigger question when it comes to edea is if you are going to be okay with the looser ankle in them and the different fit?

Elija

On the Ice
I have worn both these boots, and yeah they are very similar. I found piano locked my heels in a little better though (I have very narrow heels) and they also have the padding in the back - I know that’s a bit of an issue with ice fly for some people. It’s the only edea boot that doesn’t have the padding at the top/back, I guess because of the lower cut.

Regarding the padding, yes it does compress, and I usually find after around six months my heel is not locked in quite as well as at the start. I wouldn’t say it compresses so much that the size changes though or that you should go down a size. Changing out the laces ever few months also helps stay tighter.

nkhour1

Spectator
Hi and welcome! First of all, are you supposed to even be in boots that are that stiff? If yes, then I'd really find a new fitter, we could help you find a better one if you let us know where you are in the world. It sounds like you should have never been in a Jackson to begin with, and was that more than one pair of jackson you wore over 3.5 years? or the same boots, b/c if so that's a problem in itself. Your foot sounds too narrow for a jackson, riedell should have been fine if they would have put you in the right length. Edea should work for you and ice fly and piano are pretty similar, but the bigger question when it comes to edea is if you are going to be okay with the looser ankle in them and the different fit?
Hi! Thanks so much. I know I shouldn't have been in these Jackson's that long, but I was in uni those years, and did not have the money to buy new ones until now + given how much of a problem they are currently I need new skates ASAP.

I am an adult skater, so close to an axel and learning doubles. I know the new skates will likely help me land them just bc the ones I have now do not support me and I couldn't trust them to stick with the jumps (safety thing).

I know the stiffness element is an argument -I have done so much research at this point. I have skated on the small ice flys for about 5 sessions and I know, at least, that I can get along with the stiffness. It was not bad actually, I liked how supported I felt, I got all my jumps and spins in the first day on them.

As far as the ankle thing, I don't feel like it is "looser". Here's my rationale: my Jackson's were so broken down and big that THEY were the boots which felt like "loose ankle Edea" to me. If that makes sense haha.

I am in central IL traveling up north to the fitters.

I am pretty convinced between 250C or 255C.. just need some review and suggestions before I take the final steps. I hear the Pianos have a narrower fit and heel lock thing to them so I think this might help the shape of my foot but not sure how true that is.

nkhour1

Spectator
I have worn both these boots, and yeah they are very similar. I found piano locked my heels in a little better though (I have very narrow heels) and they also have the padding in the back - I know that’s a bit of an issue with ice fly for some people. It’s the only edea boot that doesn’t have the padding at the top/back, I guess because of the lower cut.

Regarding the padding, yes it does compress, and I usually find after around six months my heel is not locked in quite as well as at the start. I wouldn’t say it compresses so much that the size changes though or that you should go down a size. Changing out the laces ever few months also helps stay tighter.
Thank you for your comment! This makes me feel better about taking the 255C Piano. I hope to have these for a while, and I've learned what will ensure that is the sizing and fit. I felt good in them when I tried the boots on. Not as cramped as the 250Bs but I also did not have the option to try the 250cs. I don't want to risk ordering 250C ice flys hoping they will compress and feel better, but I also don't want to take the 255C Pianos which feel good now but change later. I just want to be confident they will be the right boot (finally)...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! Thanks so much. I know I shouldn't have been in these Jackson's that long, but I was in uni those years, and did not have the money to buy new ones until now + given how much of a problem they are currently I need new skates ASAP.

I am an adult skater, so close to an axel and learning doubles. I know the new skates will likely help me land them just bc the ones I have now do not support me and I couldn't trust them to stick with the jumps (safety thing).

I know the stiffness element is an argument -I have done so much research at this point. I have skated on the small ice flys for about 5 sessions and I know, at least, that I can get along with the stiffness. It was not bad actually, I liked how supported I felt, I got all my jumps and spins in the first day on them.

As far as the ankle thing, I don't feel like it is "looser". Here's my rationale: my Jackson's were so broken down and big that THEY were the boots which felt like "loose ankle Edea" to me. If that makes sense haha.

I am in central IL traveling up north to the fitters.

I am pretty convinced between 250C or 255C.. just need some review and suggestions before I take the final steps. I hear the Pianos have a narrower fit and heel lock thing to them so I think this might help the shape of my foot but not sure how true that is.
Yes, Piano has more of a "lock" but I'm going to tell you that you do NOT need to be in a boot that highly rated, you should have never been in Jackson Supreme either, I'm surprised you haven't injured yourself by wearing incorrect as well as too broken down boots. As far as Edea, you shouldn't be in anything over a Chorus at this point. I'm telling you this as a pro.

Also, where are you being fitted? If you are ok with going north to the Chicagoland area, I could suggest better fitters. May I ask where you are going now?

nkhour1

Spectator
Yes, Piano has more of a "lock" but I'm going to tell you that you do NOT need to be in a boot that highly rated, you should have never been in Jackson Supreme either, I'm surprised you haven't injured yourself by wearing incorrect as well as too broken down boots. As far as Edea, you shouldn't be in anything over a Chorus at this point. I'm telling you this as a pro.

Also, where are you being fitted? If you are ok with going north to the Chicagoland area, I could suggest better fitters. May I ask where you are going now?
I did try the Chorus 255C and something about the padding feels different and I just don't like it as much. I know a concerto would feel similarly. But I felt my heel didn't lock as well in the chorus. I also felt that it was not supportive at all. Simply bending my knees standing in it was creasing it a bit. Both fitters told me I would break this boot down too fast. Is there a way I can DM you on this site? I'm not sure how to use it that well yet. If so, I'd be happy to continue giving you details there, if you can initiate a private chat. Thank you!!