Edea Boots for Adult Skater - Chorus or Concerto? | Golden Skate

Edea Boots for Adult Skater - Chorus or Concerto?

A-Blazzle

Spectator
Country
United-States
Hello all! First-time forum poster here.

I’ve been scouring around on Golden Skate for a while looking for different adult skaters’ opinions on Edea boots, and accumulating research on which boots I should get.

For reference I’m 5’7” (170cm) and 150lbs (68kg). I learned to skate in Riedell stock boots and then moved to Edea Overtures, and loved the way the Overtures felt on my feet - although I know I need a narrower size than I originally got!

Now here’s the problem. My knees are slightly valgus (my legs create a bit of an X shape when I stand instead of staying straight), and so to correct this I moved my blades waaaay too far inside in my beginning days of skating, which caused me to develop peroneal tendinosis in my right ankle. I’ve worked with doctors and am on the path to full recovery for both my knees and ankle, but I’ve realized I need a stronger boot to keep my heel locked and ankle in the right position. I already skate with custom insoles that have made a huge difference, so I’ll be continuing with those.

My main question is then - what boot would be right for me? I’ve been looking at either Chorus or Concerto. Because of my height and weight, I want something that won’t break down as quickly as my Overtures did, and will give me the support I need going forward.

I currently skate at the advanced beginner level in Jackson Elles, but they are just not the right shape for my foot! I’d like something that will last me until I get all my singles, if not beyond that.

Of note - I have a fitter who I can work with, however he is incredibly far away so I wanted to get some opinions here as well.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I’ve been scouring around on Golden Skate for a while looking for different adult skaters’ opinions on Edea boots, and accumulating research on which boots I should get.

For reference I’m 5’7” (170cm) and 150lbs (68kg). I learned to skate in Riedell stock boots and then moved to Edea Overtures, and loved the way the Overtures felt on my feet - although I know I need a narrower size than I originally got!

Now here’s the problem. My knees are slightly valgus (my legs create a bit of an X shape when I stand instead of staying straight), and so to correct this I moved my blades waaaay too far inside in my beginning days of skating, which caused me to develop peroneal tendinosis in my right ankle. I’ve worked with doctors and am on the path to full recovery for both my knees and ankle, but I’ve realized I need a stronger boot to keep my heel locked and ankle in the right position. I already skate with custom insoles that have made a huge difference, so I’ll be continuing with those.

My main question is then - what boot would be right for me? I’ve been looking at either Chorus or Concerto. Because of my height and weight, I want something that won’t break down as quickly as my Overtures did, and will give me the support I need going forward.

I currently skate at the advanced beginner level in Jackson Elles, but they are just not the right shape for my foot! I’d like something that will last me until I get all my singles, if not beyond that.

Of note - I have a fitter who I can work with, however he is incredibly far away so I wanted to get some opinions here as well.
I'm confused, could you help me understand please? You mentioned at different parts of your post that you are in two different brands currently. Edea Overtures, and Jackson elles. Which one are you in now?

I could make suggestions then, but I'm always going to suggest that you go to your pro fitter and get properly fitted for the brand that works for your foot. If Jacksons aren't working then forget those. And I'm not sure about Edea for you either.
There's many other brands though and one is bound to fit your foot: Riedell, Graf, Harlick, SPTeri, Risport.

Good luck with your skating journey! :)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Just a note about wanting boots that "won't break down as quickly"...

Obviously boots that aren't stiff enough for you won't give you enough support and will break down very quickly, too. It's really not a good idea, however, to go the other way and get boots that are too stiff on the premise that they will last a lot longer. They may well last longer, but they will hamper your progress and possibly cause injury. Far better to get the right boots of the right stiffness and replace them when required. Trust me when I say that overbooting to save money is actually a false economy. Back when I was a pro, I was replacing top level boots every year - and I was a dancer. It's one of the painful factors of skating!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You didn't state your level.

Stay in Overture unless you have most of your singles (excluding axel) consistent and off the ground a reasonable amount. If your current level is below that and your boots broke down really fast (faster than a year) they don't fit you.

Claire_sk8s

Rinkside

Of note - I have a fitter who I can work with, however he is incredibly far away so I wanted to
Honestly, go with whatever you want. If you think that you will be doing axels/doubles soon, go with the concerto. I only say that because if you did get the chorus, once you started doing doubles, you would have to buy the concertos. I think it would be more effective to just get the concerto. Even though the chorus is rated for double jumps, it is recommended that adult skaters go with a stiffer boot than what they think they need. Hope this made sense and helped :)